cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 GPS issues since the last security patch update

thecooldude
I've been here awhile

Hello Members!

Having a problem with my Galaxy S8 SM-G950W since the January 2020 security patch that has caused GPS to sporadically stop working and am reaching out for some assistance.

For example, I'll be using google maps navigation and after a few seconds I'll get a GPS lost message. I can get it working again by turning Location off then back on again. It'll be fine for the rest of the trip, but then on the next trip, it may or may not happen again. It's very frustrating. This never happened before the January 2020 security patch was applied to my phone.

I've done the Factory data reset on my phone back to factory and set it up all over again twice now but the issue happens again and again.

My wife has the same phone but just a different color and it happens on hers as well. I haven't reset hers at all.

Anyone else having this issue on their Galaxy S8? Anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Galaxy S8 GPS issues since the last security patch update

RogersMoin

Hello, @thecooldude.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😀

I appreciate you posting your GPS concern in the Community. Thank you for trying the factory resetting your phone, it's a good troubleshooting step. 

I have been experiencing a similar issue on my Note 10+ while using Waze; it will get connected by itself with a few minutes. If not, I will switch to Google maps. So the issue may not be related to the January 2020 security patch. 

Have you reached out to Samsung support yet?

Community - please share your experience and solutions!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

thecooldude
I've been here awhile

Hi there and thanks for your reply.

Your situation sounds different from mine as I'm using Google Maps exclusively for driving to and from work (mainly for the way it routes you around traffic issues to get to where I need to go faster). Once it says GPS signal lost, it never comes back on unless I intervene by turning Location off then on again.

No I haven't contacted Samsung since this issue has only started since the January 2020 security update on two Galaxy S8 phones. I wanted to check with the community to see if anyone else with a Samsung Galaxy S8 was experiencing this issue as well.

Interesting note....  My phone "just" received notification of a new security patch for February 1, 2020. I wonder if that will fix my phone or make it worse..... I guess this update is being forced on me so I'll have to install it whether I want to or not.

I'll test further and report back. But if anyone else with an Galaxy S8 could report if they have any issues with GPS or not, please post a reply.

Thanks again!

Mathsss81
I plan to stick around

re-initialize the GPS data with GPS status app and download new data. For me it fixed the annoying issue or February update fixed it.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation