cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around

It's been a few months since I sent mine in for repair at Samsung and it's been working flawlessly.  It's a hardware issue.

Did you repair through Samsung or drop it off at a Rogers store? I've finally decided in going to send mine in for repair. It's a pain in the butt, I'd almost prefer they send me a new one and I'll send this one back since I use my phone for work. For those of you who have sent your phone in from the lower mainland area, how did you proceed? Rogers offered to just give me a new phone but the choices I had were all inferior to this phone, and iPhone just isn't an option for me

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around
Take it to a Samsung store with your Rogers receipt and they will send it in for repairs free of charge.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Jason_333

If you live near a Samsung Experience store, then just bring it in with the proof of purchase ( contract you signed when u got the device or receipt) and they will repair it for free. It may take 1-3 weeks to get it back ( depending on how busy they are) but you will get it replaced or fixed :).

The other option if u do no live near one is contact Samsung Canada and see if they can ship u out a box and u ship it into Samsung for repair

robertz
I plan to stick around
Rogers told me the same thing - use another phone for a while. I told them I don't have one, and they said a Rogers store would probably loan me one but it wouldn't be an S7. That won't work for me. So, they've closed the case. Problem solved on their end...

On another note, I tried selecting the Rogers-EXT network and everything worked perfectly for 10 days.

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around

I got my repair done through a samsung service store.  They gave me a loaner s6 and it took a few days to get my s7 back. They replaced the motherboard, and knock on wood it's been fine since.

cgiguy
I've been here awhile

I have the exact same problem, for the past 3-4 weeks. It is getting infuriating. Also, when it gets in that state, incoming calls don't come through, and the caller gets pushed directly to voicemail.

Does anyone here use a different launcher? I am using Nova. Not sure if that could have any effect on network connection issues...?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @cgiguy

A launcher has nothing to do with signal issues or network issues. A launcher only changes the theme of the device and that's all. Doesn't change any network or software other then themes. That's all.

Have you gone to a Samsung Experience store and have your phone sent in?

Cindy604
I've been here awhile
I'm having the same issues. I've sent my phone to Samsung and they replaced the sim tray and replace the sensors on the phone. Worked ok for a few days then the issues started up again. Any know of any fixes or solutions to this yet?

cgiguy
I've been here awhile

Hello @Meowmix,

Not yet (taken it in for service); I've been trying everything possible software-wise first to hopefully avoid that inconvenience.

Thanks!

gp-se
I'm an advisor

From what I've been reading, taking it to Samsung and having them replace the motherboard seems to correct the issues. Software wise some people tried disabling bands, but the issue came back.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @cgiguy

I would highly suggest and recommend taking it into the Samsung Experience store or send it into Samsung Canada and have them replace the motherboard / other internals they will replace. This is what seems to be fixing the issues.

Let us know!

corey170
I plan to stick around

@cgiguy and @Cindy604

What worked for me is to select only band 17 LTE. You don't get 4g so you need VoLTE enabled (say goodbye to 911 calls) but I havent had a single data drop in a couple months.

*#2263# from your phone app then go to band selection, LTE, LTE_17

It worked for me, but like others have said it doesn't fix your phone its just a clever workaround 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @corey170

While that is a work around, not having 911 calls working isn't something many want to take a risk on as during a emergency u can't call to 911 and u will be stuck wherever you are. So i would NOT suggest this method unless u do not care about ur safety or calls to 911 during a emergency.

The best solution is just sending in the phone to Samsung and they will repair it. They have sent out the phones fixed and without issues.

robertz
I plan to stick around
Using the Rogers-EXT network resolves the issue, and you don't have to be without your phone.

Wouldn't it be nice if either Samsung, or Rogers, came forward and told us what the cause of the problem is?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @robertz

I would agree with that. Both companies should come out and say something but they have not sadly.

Cindy604
I've been here awhile

Hi @cgiguy@Meowmix@robertz@corey170@gp-se

Thanks for your suggestions and notes.  I'm getting the run around and blame game from Samsung and Rogers.  

Rogers told me to disable LTE for now and test to see if there is an issue when the phone switches from LTE to 4G/3G.  I'll try your suggestions.  Thanks!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Cindy604

Honestly it should just work or have them fix it for u!

Hopefully all works out and everything starts working again. Let us know!:)

I can't argue with the fact that a repair has worked for you, but it appears that many have gone down that path with limited success. I have been on Rogers-EXT since early January and I have not recieved one duplicate text, nor have I had to reboot my phone even once. The network access on the Rogers-EXT (Bellus roaming) is as close to flawless as you can get. I get LTE+ full speed inside the concrete bunker of a locker room at the Calgary Winsport arena. My friend on an iPhone 7 using Bell can hardly get a signal in the same senario. The phone has great reception when the network is compatible. It's Rogers fault... Samsung is selling this phone all over the world, at least 20+ million. Rogers/ Fido are the only networks with this problem. Samsung might be able to fix it with the right firmware, but they probably don't want to pay for the research to fix it for a network with ~1% of it's device sales... hence why Rogers should either spend the money to figure it out or stop selling this phone.

I have no problem staying with Rogers as long as I keep unrestricted access to Rogers-EXT, otherwise it'll be a waiting game until the end of this contract.

Trevor

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around
Got mine back from Samsung and they ended up flashing the firmware and replacing at least one part.

Now to see if it's fixed for reals or not. Repair took about 8 days.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Well, repair looks like it didn't fix a thing. Phone just dropped it's network connection not even 4 days after I picked it up from the Samsung store.

I'm going to take it back tomorrow to the store and demand a new phone, see how that goes. There's no way I'm going to wait another week for a second repair.

Topic Stats