cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

gagangill
I plan to stick around
I agree completely. I have business lines, 4 of them and we all had s7 edges. Since signing 6 months ago, none of us are still using them. 2 were traded outside of rogers with an HTC 10 and lg g5. One of the others, after over 20 hours spent back and forth between rogers came back with nada. After filing a CRTC complaint the got to me really quickly and swapped the device within a week with a refurbished iPhone 7.... I still have my S7 edge as I've put a lot into skins and accessories, but I'm not using it as it drops connection. This is a known issue to them and there is a master ticket, but they won't do anything about it. They're network is just to unstable. I was with bell for 10 years and never had a drop in signal, I'm now running a dual sim phone with both networks and the bell one is 3 times faster for data so I just use it for data now and rogers for calls

This is the reason for my outrage. Rogers know they don't work properly yet plaster advertising about the S7/S7 Edge all over the TV and internet. If they don't work, stop selling it. Samsung should stop selling these devices to Rogers as it makes their phones look terrible. If I didn't have friends with S7s that worked fine on other networks, I'd blame Samsung myself as well. How has the CRTC not stepped in on this? 

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

I've been asking around my office and there's another guy with the S7 Edge on Rogers who has the exact same issue we're all describing here. Another co-worker has the exactl same phone as me but is on Telus and sits about 10 feet away. No connection dropouts for her.

This is definitely a serious issue that will only get more exposure as more and more people start using the s7 and s7 edge with Rogers. What's going to happen when people start getting in trouble at work or aren't reachable in emergencies because their phone decided to drop out at the wrong time.

I love the S7 and refuse to give it up for the pixel or an iphone *shudder*.

Does anyone have the master ticket number handy? I'm contemplating using it to launch a CRTC complaint myself.

corey170
I plan to stick around
I think we should all raise a complaint with the CRTC. It can't hurt and maybe it will help resolve this issue finally.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Interesting. I've switched all my phone settings back to the original band (automatic), APN names, etc. and the phone has been working flawlessly for just over a week.

Hopefully this continues and it was just in fact a Rogers bug, but we shall see. I'm in the queue for a loaner phone and repair at the local Samsung shop so if my phone drops out between now and then I'll take it in for repair.

Not sure what everybody else's experience has been this last week.

robertz
I plan to stick around
I talked to Samsung and they said to do a factory reset. Did it and the problem didn't go away.

Rogers support guy followed up and said he would do a network reset (whatever that is). It's been a day and a half and problem have occurred so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Going on 9 days now with no dropout. Fingers crossed.

jamescu11ong
I'm here a lot

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Blue Coral which I got it on 25Nov2016. Same issue with everyone are having here in this forum, LTE will drop to 4G and to no connection almost every day. Restart the phone or factory reset or network seem to fix the problem but it will come back in a day or two. Phone call and text message are unavailable randomly through out the day.

I have a Share Everything Plan and my other S7 (two phones) lines don't have this issue at all so I though it could be just the S7 edge but I think it is not the case since everyone are having this issue.

Please keep me posted if there is a permanent fix to this issue.

Thanks.

corey170
I plan to stick around

@jamescu11ong

Is it possible for you to switch the sim cards in the two phones? I think we've narrowed this down to a device-related issue, with not all devices having the (hardware?) problem. It sounds like your S7 Edge Blue Coral is faulty but your other regular S7 is not. If you switch sim cards and still experience data drops on the Edge, then it would appear that the device is indeed at fault. 

Just FYI, I have a GS7 (NOT Edge) and I experience the data drop issue. I think it is a problem in both S7 and S7 Edge phones and you just have to get lucky when you get one off the shelf (or send it in for repair?).

Don't get me wrong, there is still also a problem with the Rogers network seeing as this doesn't happen on the Belus network. But I think its a combination of a faulty Galaxy S7 and Rogers that gives rise to the data drop issue, because only a small percentage of GS7/Rogers users experience it.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
It's a compatibility issue. The s7 is having trouble with the network. There are many things that are not working right, from the phone to the network. I have a bell sim in my rogers s7 edge and it works perfect. I put my rogers sim In my zte axon 7 and it's perfect.

Hi @corey170

Good idea on swapping the SIM cards between the phones.

Let me try it out for a few days and keep you posted for what I find out.

Thanks again.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around
Had a nine day stretch with no issues then bam, two days in a row, complete drop.

Will continue to wait for a repair from Samsung (wait is just for a loaner phone while it's being fixed)

robertz
I plan to stick around
Samsung has me so a factory reset.

Rogers did a network reset.

Seemed to resolve the problem for a couple days (LTE drop to 4G still worked), but today while out data stopped working.

Sometimes going into network settings and switching to HSPA only, and then back to auto, will enable data again, but not always.

Reboot is still the best fix.

Hi all,

I just want to give an update for what I have done since yesterday.

So I visited a Roger's store for assistance and a staff immediately know my issue when I pull out my S7 edge. He explained the issue is because of the VoLTE is not working quite well with all the cell tower around the city so it will cause the phone not able to connect to LTE at some point or even no connection at all.

To fix this, try turn off your VoLTE under Phone -> More -> Settings ->VoLTE -> Do not use VoLTE. You might also need to bring the phone to Roger's or call them as they need to make some adjustment on your account for this new settings. It should fix the problem until the next update/patch to fix it permanently.

I have been having LTE all the time since I change this setting.

Hope it works for all of you.

J.C.

corey170
I plan to stick around

@jamescu11ong I don't think VoLTE is the issue (at least for most of us). I disabled it on my phone and it didn't fix anything. I had Rogers disable it completely for my account - still had data drops.

In fact, I had to call them back and get them to turn it back on so that I could make/receive phone calls due to my adjusted network settings (phone calls don't run on LTE bands).

It's probably worth mentioning that these adjusted network settings have been working flawlessly for over a month now - i.e. no more data drops for me :). I'm currently running LTE band 17 ONLY and haven't had a problem. I think the problem occurs when your phone attempts to transtion between LTE and 4g, so I eliminated that option.

Open your phone app, type in *#2263# then try playing around with the settings. You can select which band you want to use or disable certain bands. Try experimenting and see if you can eliminate the problem. I actually just switched to "LTE ALL" because I think LTE band 4 is faster than 17.

Good luck!

robertz
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the post. I had previously tried disabling that, but forgot to do it again after the factory reset.

With VoLTE enabled, I would often get duplicate SMS messages, and Rogers support stated this is a known issue.

I've tried every "fix" listed here and others I've found accross the web. None have been permanent fixes, the problem always reoccurs and the only temp fix is a reboot. That said I have resolved the issue on my handset... how you ask? By not using Rogers... stay with me. Rogers has recently unlocked access to a network called Rogers-EXT, which is actually just local roaming on Bell/Telus. This is included at no charge for Post paid plans. After switching to the Roger-EXT I have gone over a week with no issues... even better my connection is flawless and faster than ever. I routinely get LTE+ with more bars at every location I commonly travel to. I was very used to having to reboot almost every day on the C-train on the way into work after completely losing connectivity seemingly for no reason. Now I lose LTE for 15 seconds while I pass through each tunnel, but have the connection comback full strength and full speed as soon as the train exits each tunnel. It's night and day. My concern is that there is a stipulation that the ROGERS-EXT should account for less than 50% of your total usage, but I cannot stand being on the regular Rogers network with this device, so I'm really just waiting to see if they harrass me about it. If they do it'll be time to tear into them about all my problems with my S7 Edge on their network. If you have a post paid plan I urge you to try scanning for networks and try out the Rogers-EXT, you might be blown away how much better the device is. (Note: I see 2 Rogers-EXT networks, one works and one doesn't, not sure why)  Good Luck!

corey170
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the update Harvey. I feel like they will have a hard time charging us extra for using this EXT network seeing as their normal network isn't working properly. I'm going to talk to customer service and see what the full deal is with the Rogers EXT network

robertz
I plan to stick around
Support asked me to try my SIM in a different phone. I don't have another phone, and can only borrow one for a couple hours (which isn't any help since the problem is intermittent).

So I purchased a new SIM from the Rogers store and registered it. Support now wants me to try that SIM in a different phone. Does that make any sense?

corey170
I plan to stick around
It's not a SIM card issue, it's an issue with the actual phone

corey170
I plan to stick around

Ok so I got some details regarding the Rogers-EXT network. There is NO extra charge for using the EXT network, however usage does get blocked if usage exceeds 50% over a 3 month period. This is because Belus provides Rogers with this network on a good will basis, so they won't let you use EXT exclusively. 

Maybe if we complain enough to management they will grant us full access to the EXT network. It definitely seems like they should let us use it if it solves the issue.

Topic Stats