cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

robertz
I plan to stick around

This issue is what I was looking for.

I can leave my home (so WiFi is lost) and the phone often displays 4G with no data access (phone and SMS seem to work).  There's a cell tower half a kilometer away, so for the last couple years I always get and LTE connection.

I can even go to a location where I would normally get an LTE+ connection, but it will then change to a 4G connection and data does not work (cannot access Internet).

So from the few comments I read, is taking the phone to Samsung the best solution?

corey170
I plan to stick around
Apparently that's one way to do it. A quick and easy fix is to disable LTE band 4 (instructions are about 15-20 posts back). I did this and haven't had a single problem for almost a month now. Man it sure is nice to have data everywhere I go again...

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

I've been having this issue too but very sporadically. I think it happens every 6 or 7 days for me. Samsung Galaxy S7 that I got about 5 weeks ago.

I'll have LTE for a while, then it shifts down to 4G, then I lose all cellular/data connectivity and have to reboot the phone. It happened yesterday after work and the phone started to get a bit warm, but returned to normal after the reboot.

I'm going to keep an eye on it as I installed the latest firmware update last night, so I want to see if that helps or not. If it happens again though I'm going to take it in to a Samsung store and have them look at it.

corey170
I plan to stick around
The update didn't fix anything. As a matter of fact, I started getting data drops again after the update. Turns out it reset my service mode settings and I had to go back in and select band 17 again. I'm back on LTE again and the data is workin great.

I'm telling you guys, this is a great temporary fix you should all give it a try. Super easy, just go into your phone and type in *#2263# then hit band selection, then LTE, then LTE_17

corey170
I plan to stick around
And make sure VoLTE is enabled so u can still make phone calls

gagangill
I plan to stick around

I'm now having issues with band 12/17 since the update!! No calls go thru or come in and texting has the same issue!!

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around
Mine is dropping out every evening now after the update. Going to try taking it to a Samsung store for repair or replacement.

rzanatta
I plan to stick around
I talked to Rogers support and they suggested disabling VoLTE. They said it could also cause the receiving of duplicate text messages.

I'll see how it goes.

robertz
I plan to stick around

I tried selecting band 17, and that didn't work.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around
I don't have band 17 as a choice. I have 1 to 9 then a, b, or c in Vancouver BC. I am trying out band 7 right now which is LTE/GSM. Seems OK so far.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Actually I've changed my band to [C] which is "LTE/WCDMA/GSM Auto" and it's worked flawlessly so far.

I've also disabled VoLTE which has prevented the duplicate SMS messages from happening so far as well.

If this lasts for at least a week without losing connection then I'll probably just keep this as a solution for now and think about a new carrier after my contract is up.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
What exactly do you mean by band "c". Could you describe where it is located (I.e. step by step)?

corey170
I plan to stick around
Pretty similar to your original solution. Type in *#2263# then hit band selection then at the very bottom of the list (after objects 1-9) there should by options abc. Select the last one (C / LTE/WCDMA/GSM) then select the only option in the next menu.

Im gonna try this one as well for the next few days. I'll report any problems I encounter

dudlee
I plan to stick around

dial: *#2263#

select [1] Band Selection

select [C] at the bottom,  confirm selection on next screen

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Thanks, I've stopped using the s7 edge due to band 12 having issues and I bought out a zte axon 7. Liking it more and best of all no issues. I will pop my sim into the s7 and give this a shot.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Sure.

1. Open the dailpad on your phone.

2. Dial *#2263#

3. Pick "1 - Band Selection" from the screen that appears.

4. The Band Selection screen gives me options from 1 to 9 for various bands, then it has A, B, and C at the bottom after 9. Option A is listed as "WCDMA/GSM", B is "LTE/TDS/GSM" and C is "LTE/WCDMA/GSM".

5. Chose C and phone's connection turns off for a few seconds, then comes back on with full LTE signal.

After I did this I haven't had a single missed SMS message or disruption in data so far.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Spoke too soon. Band C just crapped out on me during my lunch break at work.

Going to give B a try.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Band B just dropped out all the way to Edge network so that's out.

I found LTE band 17 preferred under the "automatic" menu selection so I'll give that a shot.

I talked to Samsung support as well and after them recommending a factory reset, me resetting the phone and seeing no improvement, they gave me the name and number of a service center to take the phone in to get a warranty repair done. So I'll be doing that next.

Jason_333
I'm here a lot

My device hasn't dropped data all too much since the recent updates. The latest update seems to have brought on more drops but its still marginal. However I've noticed that whenever I'm on the phone with someone and try to use data it never seems to work. Any thoughts?

This is absolutely rediculous, no one should have to mess with these advanced settings to get a stable signal. I had a Note7 and obviously had to return it... since getting an S7 Edge as a replacment I have to do daily reboots, sometimes twice a day just to keep the phone on the network. This phone is like $1000, there is no way Rogers can just pretend theres nothing wrong. I am an ecalation point for on call at my work and I can't trust that my phone hasn't silently dropped off the network and stopped recieving calls. My previous phone was a Note 5 and that phone never had an issue, neither did the Note 7. I have a lot of money invested in Samsung accessories, so I don't want to move away from this device, but it is literally driving me crazy... it's an awesome pocket computer, but one of the worst phones ever as I can't rely on it to make calls or stay connected. Worse the phone continues to indicate half to full bars reception despite have 0 connectivity data, text or voice. I refuse to be given a refurb device after spending this much money on a brand new phone, so I feel like I am completely screwed. I can't even give this device to my wife, because she isn't savvy enough to work through the constant connectivity problems. I'll guess I'll have to call support and hope for the best, but might have to unlock this device and sell it to someone on a network that works.

corey170
I plan to stick around

Ya pretty much what I've learned from this whole situation is to stay away from Rogers. Samsung and Rogers don't go together well, but I like Samsung phones too much so I'm just never going to sign with Rogers ever again once my contract is up. This decision won't change even if they fix the issue.

Topic Stats