cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Bcsc
I plan to stick around
I've had tickets forever as well. It wasn't until I found out that the phone is not properly compatible with Rogers and told them so, that they finally admitted the fault. I had complained consistently for the last 6 months and finally gave them an ultimatum. In the end they straight swapped my S7 Edge for a Pixel and a "good faith" credit.
I haven't had a single data issue since. It's a shame the trouble I had to go through to make them be honest about this phones compatibility issues.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Well you did well. After 6 months of complaining and setting up tickets they want me to pay $200 to swap the phones, not give me credit for my troubles. I have been waiting weeks for tech support to find a solution as I like my phone and the tech agent was amazing, but then when I asked to swap the phone, a manager talked to me and was super rude and unwilling to help. He said that my phone isn't even worth as much as a pixel when my phone was new! It's a $1000 device!! I'm waiting another week or two to see if this gets resolved otherwise crtc will be getting a call from me and I will be cancelling with $0 cancelation fees. Rogers service is worse than I thought.

corey170
I plan to stick around
I strongly suggest that you guys (and girls?) try disabling band 4 LTE. it has worked perfectly for me and I haven't had a single data drop, even in low service areas. Just make sure VoLTE is enabled so u can receive phone calls (if you're into that kinda thing)

gagangill
I plan to stick around
I haven't had it drop either but the issue remains. They won't swap our devices andd I've had calls drop on LTE 4-5 times. Also, LTE speeds on the other bands are slower than LTE 4. If they can't fix the issue, replace the device for free....

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hey guys!

Just wanted to clarify something. Rogers nor any carrier can not just swap devices an exchange them after the 30 days return period you got. If there is a issue going on with the device and it's happening on hundreds of them or thousands, the manufacturer in this one Is Samsung should give them a green light to do so. Rogers can not go ahead and do it unless Samsung gives them the heads up and green light.

This is how it works with companies unfortunately. So asking Rogers to do the exchange for free or you leave won't work. The best thing to do is contact Samsung and see if they can do something. If not then I would send in the device into repair if you haven't and see if they can replicate the issue and fix it.

As for a credit for the inconvenience, have you spoken to the Office of the President? If so have they offered anything?

The CRTC won't do much as the service u are promised is getting delivered to you but there are issues with the device getting the right connections to the data. They won't release your contract for free ( someone made a post about this here). They will contact Rogers and see what's going on. Then investigate. Most calls to them end up either saying the carrier is dealing with it OR if it's a bigger issue then they will release the contract ( bigger issue meaning bigger then having data come and go sometimes).

Now all in all Samsung and Rogers need to work together on this issue.

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around
Since I got my phone repaired by Samsung it continues to work perfectly. Once again I highly suggest you take your phone in for repair, you will start enjoying the beauty of such a great phone again.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @qwikdraw22

Exactly! Asking to have it taken back and given another one isn't something Rogers alone can do as i posted on page 11.

Giving it into repair either via Rogers or Samsung Experience store will fix the issue for you as they can direct what is going on.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
They won't take my phone now as they have a master ticket started. W have 2 s7 edges and they both have this issue. The master ticket has gone as far as to say that the phone isn't defected the network isn't compatible with the network. They won't issue EMA's as they say they are useless and same with repairs

gagangill
I plan to stick around
RMA's

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around
I just took mine in to a Samsung store and bypassed Rogers all together.

corey170
I plan to stick around
@kwikdraw22
Ah so maybe this is the crucial step in the process. Ppl in this forum have had their phone repaired by Rogers and the issue persisted even after repair. You, however, got Samsung to repair your phone and it seems to be working properly.

I think the issue is both with the phones and the network. SOME (not all) GS7s have a hardware issue where they are incompatible with band 4. This can be fixed physically on the phone, based on qwikdraw22's results. It could be that there is no way to fix this remotely by "repairing the network", so maybe we should all just send our phone into Samsung and be done with this.

At least that's my take based on the results that have been described.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @corey170

Yea that is correct. It's easier going to Samsung Experience store or mail it in and have them check it out.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gagangill

Well that shows you that some reps that work for Samsung aren't all there. They shouldn't refuse a RMA based on a " Master Ticket" done. They should offer the RMA and have them check it out on hand.

Either way I would like to see a resolution on this

Bcsc
I plan to stick around

Keep on them. They went through stages with me from full denial to a horrendous trade offer like yours where I would still owe, to a straight swap. They will crumble further. As soon as I suggested I go to the CCTS about it, they gave me what I wanted. Yes they can straight swap, and they do.  I know this because I'm typing this from the Pixel they straight swapped me for.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Refurbished?

Bcsc
I plan to stick around

Yes they can, and they do.  I have a brand new Pixel XL here as proof of that.  I've also been posting screenshots of the conversation with Rogers, but the mods keep deleting those.  Read back further and you will see I'm not the only one that they swapped out. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Bcsc

Only happens with a few people and not everyone. Only seen 4-5 people getting a replacement unit and one of them had issues with theirs as well. The others said the same. Some have sent into repair instead. If you Contact Samsung then might be able to exchange for u with a new one. Also its not a new devices most of the time. it's a refurbished. You might have gotten a new one due to the Pixel being out for only a couple of weeks where others have been with a device more then a couple of weeks. They get refurbished models. New devices that get released and have issues, u get a new one as a exchange.

Again not everyone will be able to do the exchange thus my post.

I eventually got a new one.. a manager decided this after problems from day one. be they internet connection problems ,  or not able to phone out/in.. 

before I had 1-2 bars. no lte... not 3-4 bars , lte on off....  Haven't had internet problems at all.

The explanation made good sense , the first rolling off the line for pre sale people may not have been as good..

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ctx1300

Exactly. It seems like it has been from the start batch is causing this. As for the new one, some managers will do it if they see fit. Not all

Yes, I had talked to MANY managers over the months past.. it really helped to have explained the whole thing to this great tech who explained the problems and open tickets I had..
Have to give Rogers credit for eventually getting it right,, I am sure they would be going broke if they responded by exchanges on first complaint..

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ctx1300

Yeah it takes time to eventually get something going but glad u got the exchange done.

Agreed but i noticed they need to take time to work with Samsung or any manufacture and figure it out before taking this action. Within 30 days I have the exchange policy but after that u need to fight hard to get it.
Topic Stats