cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around

I dialed *611 from my phone directly and spoke to a general call rep. Before you proceed, have a look of what steps I took.

1. Went through all the general troubleshooting.

2. new sim, network refresh, factory reset, and warranty repair. 

After sending it in, it didn't get fixed but they still requested me to send it in again. I'm like I sent it in already and nothing was fixed so I don't want to waste my time again. They agreed to send me a replacement phone. After using for like 1 month, problem appeared and I went through all those stupid steps again and sent it in again. This time, the problems came up again the next day I got the phone back.

So I called in and expressed my annoyance and request a different phone. I was talking to the Buyer's Remorse team regarding the swap. Here's the stupid part. I requested the 6S Plus but they sent me the 6S instead. I called in again and was like . .... the rep was like send the iphone back first, then we'll submit a new request to send you the 6S plus. I'm like NO! It was your fault that you sent me the wrong phone. They had transfer me to the manager to get everything worked out. 

The manager was nice and easy going so we settled on me using the 6S for now, send the S7 Edge back first, and use the 6S plus when I receive it. I'm waiting for the 6S Plus while using the 6S. I wanted the Pixel or the iPhone 7 lol but they wouldn't allow me. They also charged me $35 for the swap but I'm like w/e jsut get me a working phone.

TL;DR

Sent phone in, didn't get fixed, replacement. Replacement phone had same problem, sent in again and nothing got fixed again. Swapped to Apple.

I apologize for English was not my strongest subject so excuse my poor grammar, clarity, and choppiness lol.

Thanks for the write up!

Thanks for the detailed response .. sad we have to go through all this with Rogers as it seems the s7 incompatibility is not so much with other carriers,,  Have gone through all that  too,, putting it to factory again after MONTHS of nothing from rogers... oh yes I have 2 outstanding files to get it fixed,, three weeks ago I was told it was to be fixed ( if there is such an animal ) that day... welll   lll  not so much... haven't heard back since... grrr.. 

I would like to just give in the s7 edge and get a refund. period ,   Never had problems with the s4, that would do me for now,, I will even stay in the stinking 2 year agreement.. just take this phone away..  and all those programs to transfer phone to laptop to phone.. non worked,, the store rep said this wasn't unfamiliar to him.. guess that is why he didn't do anything for me... as I was told on the phone he would transfer over , factory reset and reinstall  my stufffff.. Anyone else have a battery that gets REAL hot on chargingin , or in VR gear?

McFly85
I've been here awhile

I own a Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930W8) unlocked and it always connected on the 4G network...never on LTE. I changed my SIM, same thing but when I swap my SIM with one on BELL or FIDO, it can detect the LTE network... I don't understand...

McFly85
I've been here awhile

@McFly85 wrote:

I own a Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930W8) unlocked and it always connected on the 4G network...never on LTE. I changed my SIM, same thing but when I swap my SIM with one on BELL or FIDO, it can detect the LTE network... I don't understand...

Problem solved Smiley Happy I contacted Rogers tech support by the Chat room and the guy (Bruno) told me that I have an ''internet restriction'' on my account.  He has disable the restriction and now I'm always connected on the LTE network...so far!!!

gagangill
I plan to stick around
I called them a few days ago and told them everything that's going on and that I've switched the APN settings and that it made a little difference. He said he had to escalate the issue to higher tech support. An hour later higher tech support called me to understand what's going on. He had never heard of this issue. I sent him a link to this forum and he believed me I think. Anyways, he looked over my account and sent me some tips as he believes it is a phone issue and not a phone issue which is totally wrong. The issue is that Rogers' network does not support this phone well because my bell sim works insanely well on this phone. Since I called I haven't dropped LTE unless there is low signal in the are, of witch I know there is one. I'll let you guys know how it lasts

gagangill
I plan to stick around
He believes it is a phone issue, which it is not

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around

I sent mine for repair.  They replaced the PBA (print board assembly) which the guy says is the motherboard.  Initally as soon as it reloaded I was in 4g!  It then switched to LTE.  As soon as I made a phone call it switched to 4g (I don't think it was capturing VOLTE) and wouldn't go back to LTE.  I restarted my device and it went back to LTE and VOLTE began working as well.  Since then it's been working fine, switching to 4g in low signal areas appropriately and switching back to LTE as it should.  Fingers crossed that it's finally fixed (it's been 48hrs).

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Ok guys so I'm in the process of getting replacements thru tech support and it took about a month of tech support finding out it was a problem with the phones and the network not being compatible. For the mean time I want whoever is capable of trying this to try it because I've been testing it and haven't lost LTE since. Type *#2263# into your phone and click "band selection" - "LTE" - "Band 17". This will lock your phone to band 17 connection only and it seems band 17 isn't having this issue. Turn Volte back on in phone settings as well and you shouldn't have an issue. I've narrowed it down to band 4 having the issue. I'm testing band 17 and will give an update when possible. Your speeds won't be as quick as band 4 but it works for the mean time and I'm just happy with that right now.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gagangill

Glsd that this way it works but hopefully it can expand to all and work on them too.!

corey170
I plan to stick around

@gagangill

I just changed to band 17 and LTE is looking strong. I'll keep you guys updated. 

Is there any way to disable band 4 entirely? What if I select every band except for band 4? I'm just curious as to why we are going with band 17 only.

DillDal
I've been here awhile

Im really getting tired of people not being able to get ahold of me and me having to reset my phone a couple times a day as I drive around the city alot.  I love my samsung s7 and I like rogers but unless this issue gets resolved soon I will be either never buying another samsung or will be switching another carrier that has no issues with the samsung s7 connectivity.     BOTH companies should put there thinking caps on and get this resolved.

corey170
I plan to stick around
@DillDal
Im thinking both. Rogers hasn't been very good in terms of offering compensation so they are done after my contract is up. I was with Bell for ten years and never had a single problem, shoulda stayed. Samsung too has disappointed me for the last time, I think it's time to go iPhone.

I would be amazed if switching to LTE band 17 would fix it, only because I get data drops even with LTE entirely disabled, using HSPA only.

gagangill
I plan to stick around

It isn't a fix by any means. You won't lose service and it will be LTE but there are downsides like you can't call 911 since that requires 2g/3g calling and where there isn't any LTE you won't have service. It is working for me and i have yet to lose service. I've let Rogers know of this issue and that this is the issue plaguing the system and they where like holy crow you found it. They're testing it themselves and will let me know by next week. Keep u guys updated...

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around
As i posted earlier I ended up getting my phones motherboard replaced by Samsung (covered under warranty) and the problem is gone. It's been about a month if not longer. I was having the exact same issue as you guys (see my previous posts)

Wondering if anyone has also had an issue with Google maps? Obviously with spotty data it wouldn't work the way it was intended, however my s7 hasn't been acting up nearly as much as before. Odd thing is though I'll go to use maps and it just says I'm offline when I can use data freely.

"Wondering if anyone has also had an issue with Google maps? Obviously with spotty data it wouldn't work the way it was intended, however my s7 hasn't been acting up nearly as much as before. Odd thing is though I'll go to use maps and it just says I'm offline when I can use data freely."

Had a friend who saw this. Was fixed with an android update... but this was months ago. Are you letting system updates through?

Yepp, have had two updates since I've had the phone. Was hoping the last one would solve it but it just like to stay offline. Occasionally it will give me traffic updates but that's usually short lived and then goes back to offline. It's just annoying when you commute lots in high traffic area and can't use the route options as they are not available when offline.

tmort
I'm here a lot

I had a ticket open for quite a while with their support. They would call once in a while and ask if I wanted to try the $35 refurb. No thanks to that based on other peoples feedback in this thread.

Eventually they put me through to the right person who could authorize replacing my device with a different one and I've now had the S7 replaced with a Pixel. Stick to it, remain firm but polite, and go after a different device.

No issues with the new phone!

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Doing all system update, just locked the network to band 12/17 a they are the same 700mhz network. Haven't had an issue with maps. Thru LTE band locking u will lose service where there isn't LTE and you can't call 911 as a 2g/3g network is required for that. Also make sure Volte is on!!
Topic Stats