cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Eternity4ever
I've been here awhile

i have the exact same issues with everyone else on here. i had Rogers send out my S7  for repair ,they replaced PBA -other -BGA FAILURE and minor component parts so far everything running smooth now no drop calls and LTE problem.

I recommend everyone with the same issues send your device in for a repair.

Some of us sent our phones in for fixing and nothing worked. I even got a replacement phone but still same issue. Good for you that it got fixed, knock on wood. Lol

corey170
I plan to stick around

Ya I think all these people who think they found a "fix" have really just not given it enough time to see the symptoms again. I got a new phone and it seemed fine for a week, but then the problems returned. I also had a Rogers tech disable the VoLTE signal for my account and it fixed it for a week, but again the problems returned. I switched my MMS proxy and still the problem persists. 

Give it time, the problem will return. Give it more time, these guys will eventually fix the problem. Give it even more time, your contract will end and we can all finally switch carriers.

Ironic since your title says you plan to stick around hahaha. My update I'd as follows, I was going to send my phone in but then decided I did not want to deal with that hassle for nothing so I decided to call and check to see the status of the situation over at Rogers. As mentioned before the tech notified me that they have now acknowledged that a small % of Rogers S7 users are experiencing this issue and that they are working with Samsung engineers to find a solution. So bassically just sit tight.... However I do plan on calling back for some kind of compensation for this large inconvenience.

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around
I just thought of something. It's almost clear that it's the firmware / software issue. For those more tech savvy ppl, you can try flashing the firmware to bell or telus. I believe that will fix it. If it's just Roger's firmware causing the trouble, I think this will work.

All Canadian Carriers use the EXACT same firmware, only the CSC is different. So using Bell/Telus Firmware won't make a difference. Also this issue has been happening since the Galaxy S6, this is why I ended up selling my S6, I needed a phone that could make calls.

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around

I went on SamMobile to find another carrier's rom. I installed and it's been a week and no drop calls or anything like that. The only thing that bugs me is that they replaced "LTE" with "4G". You may be thinking that's not LTE blah blah blah. I tested the speed and it's LTE indeed. From time to time i'd see 4G+ too lol. 

I'll see how things go for now. To be honest, I hate my phone showing "4G" instead of "LTE" despite it really is LTE.

corey170
I plan to stick around

What carrier did you go with? And do u need to be rooted to do that?

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around
All of them are the same lol. I didn't root it, didn't need to. Download Odin and flash it. It's really safe and simple. I've been doing this from like note 2 so I'm really comfortable with this.

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around

I'm having the exact same issue, will drop from "LTE" to 4g and not return back to LTE.  While on 4g i can't make calls, texts are slow to send, etc.  Hard resets, refreshing network settings sometimes gets "LTE" back and phone is fast again, but this a temporary fix goes back to 4g again later.

I should note this all started after returning from a visit the the State, and I bought a roaming package.  I wonder if it's related.  

Since the recent update I haven't had the issue, maybe it got fixed? I haven't called in to check. However my google maps seems to be acting up.... Is anyone else having the same issue? It doesn't seem to want to give me traffic updates even though my data is clearly on. Just goes ahead and says it's offline

TraDev
I've been around
We have two S7 edges and one S7. All the phones have the latest updates and all have this problem. Talked to Rogers Help line and that was useless. Then I talked to a Samsung rep and what he told me was very concerning. He said they are aware of the issue. They know the phones have trouble communicating with Rogers towers but there is nothing that can be done, the issue will never be resolved? I'm irate now. I have a phone that is on 4g most of the time, can't complete calls and loses the data connection. Rogers better step up and make this right!!

Eternity4ever
I've been here awhile

like i said send your device back and get repair. Replaced PBA and BGA failure.

a  defective hardware nothing do with firmware .its been a month now my s7 running without a issue.

corey170
I plan to stick around

^^This raises a valid point. Many others in here (myself included) have already sent our devices back and had them replaced. This didn't fix the problem, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the problem isn't device related. It could be that we just got a second defective device. If Eternity4ever had their device replaced and it fixed the issue, then it seems like the problem is more likely to be device related. Most people who fix the issue by replacing their device would not come back to the forum so we just never hear of their success in fixing the issue.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had a whole new device sent to me (NOT repaired). Maybe sending it in for a repair is the right choice after all.

I'm gonna send mine in and see what happens...

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around
For what it's worth I just did a factory reset and it's okay so far

qwikdraw22
I plan to stick around
Never mind, problem is reoccurring sounds like a hardware issue. I tried my sim in a friend's nexus 6p and it was getting Lte no problem. Tried his sim in my s7 and only 4g

corey170
I plan to stick around

@Eternity4ever

Still working perfectly? I want to know before I send my device away for repairs.

Hi @corey170,

In this case, I would definitely recommend sending it off for repair. 

RogersCorey

Eternity4ever
I've been here awhile

yes its working perfectly

Gave up. Rogers is finally admitting it is a known issue but I bitched my way through to get them to replace my Samsung for the iphone 6S plus.

Who did you contact, ie what department/number to make that happen?

I'm pretty over this, even if i do have an escalated ticket they're working on 😕
Topic Stats