cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around
Doesn't seem like it fixed anything. Just went to the BMO back parking on no.3 acrods RC. Got into the BMO building and signal dropped to 4g. Couldn't send text and had to restart phone to pick back up signal. For the love of God can I just cancel my contract? I'm sick and tired of this.

ZJ_YYC
I've been here awhile

Samsung Galaxy S7 Connectivity Issues

Hello,

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S7 for about 3 weeks now and everything seemed fine at first. But shortly after, I noticed that my 4G/LTE drops and I'm left with just the full signal bars. When this happens I lose all data and phone connections. I cannot place a call, text, or go onto the Internet. In order to solve this I've been restarting the phone and it seems to work for a few hours and then does the same thing. Although restarting the phone and resetting network settings makes the phone work, it is only a temporary fix and very frustrating as I'm missing important phone calls and texts. My brother have the same phone and he is experiencing same issues!

I was hoping the latest software update would resolve the issue, but today the connectivity issues are back again, please advise?

Thanks!

kovl
I've been here awhile

When I go to my parents cabin I manualy switch to the telus network since rogers signal isn't that great there.  I didn't lose the data at all last weekend so I stayed on the telus towers this week.  It's been 7 days now and I haven't had  the data drop on me at all.  I think everyone has unlimited roaming now.  Maybe some of you can give that a try to confirm I just didn't get lucky this week.

gagangill
I plan to stick around

Delete all the APN's under mobile networks exept for Rogers LTE

After deleting them change the MMS Proxy to 205.151.11.13 and then run it for a few days and let me know what happens. I've been running it for 2 days now like this and no hiccups yet (fingers crossed).

It is a VoLTE issue and can be also fixed by calling tech support and telling them to turn off VoLTE on their end, not YOURS...

I work for Bell and we don't have these issues here, only switched to rogers cuz they gave me a goiod plan....

Try these out and let me know what happens.

gagangill
I plan to stick around

MMS Proxy in the Rogers LTE APN

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around

I was in the same situation too. I was with Bell and only switched to Rogers because of the EPP at my new job but do I regret the swithc. I've did you posted, hopefully it'll do the trick. Thanks for sharing. 

Cheers,

samsung2016
I've been around

Having the same issue with my Galaxy S7 Edge, I had been troubleshooting multiple times with Rogers Tech support.

Phone when switches from LTE to 4G, can't make or receive calls or use data, signal showing full bars on 4G, I have to restart the phone and it will work again for a day or two.

things I have done

- Factory reset (like 3 times)

- disable VoLTE on rogers system and on the cellphone (like 6 times)

- took it to rogers store to reflash it with their device aid software

- Sent it to an authorize samsung repair shop where minor components were replaced but they could't tell me wich components.

I hace a case number with tech support and waiting for they call within 72 hours.

Still no fix, It's really frustating.

dudlee
I plan to stick around
I had a very similar issue when Rogers first went live with LTE years ago.

The first phone to support LTE was the Samsung s2 skyrocket.

When I would be on LTE, and after a phonecall, I would be downgraded to 4g and be stuck on there.
No calls, no data, till I rebooted or changed preferred bands.

After 2 weeks of escalation(never once took my phone in or reset it) Rogers were able to get it working flawless.

Believe it was an issue with the tower handoff/network switching.

I haven't had the problem with my new s7 edge so maybe problems are specific tower related?

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around

I did what GaGangill suggested, change the MMS proxy and call in to disable VOLTE, and haven't had any issue so far. Hope this will hold until an actual fix.

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around

Do you know what was done to fix this issue? It's getting really frustrating.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
It has gotten a lot better for me with the APN change but still bad in terms of service. It has to to with the new towers in the lower mainland and Vancouver area. Once you hop on the 4g, it doesn't seem to leave and you get super slow speeds. I've only totally disconnected a few times after changing but it's still annoying with the slow speeds. They're saying 2 months from tech support and the lady said she gets it all the time. I'm going to try turning Volte back on only on my phone so it doesn't drop to 4g right after a call and see what happens. Other than that we can only wait until Oct/Nov....

tmort
I'm here a lot

Same issue here. Been fighting with it for weeks. Trying a new sim now. Not optimistic. Just got the thing on 7/21. They want me to pay $35 for the privilege of getting a used phone, which based on some previous posts here is a bad idea!

Rogers needs to step up and admit that there's a problem. And work towards fixing it!

Had an agent tell me there was a problem today that they are aware of, and then the following agent tell me the first one had it wrong and the other person was thinking of an issue with the Note 7, so I'm not sure what's accurate here.

If they don't solve this I guess I really have no choice but to avoid Rogers and Samsung in the future. Too bad I'm stuck for the next 22 months.

tmort
I'm here a lot

Been tweeting back and forth with @RogersHelps this morning. They said basically I have to just keep sending my brand new expensive phone in for repairs over and over again if they don't manage to fix it. They won't admit there's a problem.

Tears.

tmort
I'm here a lot

For anyone who's gone through some repair/replacement cycles with no resolution: try this http://www.rogers.com/web/support/account/ombudsman/376?setLanguage=en

Make the ombudsman aware that there's a chronic problem they refuse to address. Will be doing this after they've failed to repair my phone.

corey170
I plan to stick around

Ok so I finally managed to get through to a higher level supervisor in the tech department and he said that this is now a known problem. Rogers tech dudes are working in conjunction with Samsung in order to find a solution to the problem.

I hope that the guy wasn't bluffing me but he sounded modest. I guess all we can do now is wait (or keep complaining?), but it is nice to know that they are finally taking this issue seriously...

ctx1300
I'm here a lot
Hi , am having same issues and having NO help from either rogers or samsung,, did not get a new phone to try,, just a bill for a service that doesn't often allow me to call out.. use the gps or connect to internet.. for a 1000 dollar phone and 160 connection per month,, I am being screwed and would NEVER suggest either rogers or samsung .. though my s4 also great as is yours

AntoG
I've been around

I wanted to simply add to this discussion because this seems to be a widespread issue with Rogers Galaxy S7 owners. I own a Galaxy S7 edge and live near Moose Jaw Saskatchewan. In the two weeks that I have owned the phone, I have had this happen several times. I would, for example, enter the local walmart where reception is usually known to be bad but when I get out, my phone will not reconnect to LTE. While on a 4G network, with full bars, my phone is practically rendered useless until I restart it. I believe it has only happened once where the phone was able to reconnect to LTE on its own without a restart. 

This is amazingly inconvenient, unexpected from such an expensive phone and carrier, and also quite annoying. I really expected to be getting a welcomed upgrade when switching from my iPhone 5S to this device. However, when the phone becomes incapable of performing its most basic functions at times, this is not the case. 

I sincerely hope that Rogers and Samsung are able to provide a solution to this, without us having to find workarounds from a user stand point. 

I had the same issues everyone here is describing. I called tech support to get my phone unlocked for travel and mentioned the issues. The tech told me it's an issue with volte. He blocked the volte 700 frequency and instantly my phone was fixed. It stays on lte almost exclusively and drops to 4g and back to lte occasionally with no problem. It's as snappy as the day I got it. There were no other setting changes made and I recently installed the OS update with no ill effects.

Hey three7tyz, this helps a lot.. I can find tech somewhere and give them the info to be done.. hope my success is as good as yours , cuz it is SO annoying,, as you know..

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around
Did you disable the volte on you phone too?

I didn't have to as it says not registered anyways. This change must be made by Rogers on their end. I made no setting changes on my phone.
Topic Stats