cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Btw...just want to add my perspective as a Fido customer running on the same network. Hope it somehow helps solve this issue sooner then later.

corey170
I plan to stick around

This makes me even more convinced that it is a network issue. Is there any way that we can get Rogers to formally look into this problem? I'm guessing they don't have tech employees who monitor these forums - just customers with problems.

Kenatanacio
I've been here awhile

I'm have the exact same issue as everyone else on this thread.

Random drops of LTE while everyone else around me has perfect connection (also on Rogers network but they have older devices)

This has happens randomly throughout the day. A reboot of the device doesn't even fix it. I just have to wait patiently and eventually I get LTE back.

Happens at random locations and at random times.

corey170
I plan to stick around

Update: Rogers is working on the issue right now and trying to find a solution to the problem. Our voices have been heard. I'll update here with more information when I get it

Kenatanacio
I've been here awhile
Great to hear!!! What was your source on the info?

I am having the exact same issues as the original poster. There are 11 pages of comments like this over on the Fido forum as well. People have replaced or "repaired" their phones, replaced SIM cards etc. all to no avail. If Rogers is working on this that's great and I will give them a chance but sounds like switching providers might be the only solution worth trying.

corey170
I plan to stick around

I've opened up a ticket with Rogers (reference number is CT09922024). Might I suggest that you all do the same? Maybe if they get enough guys working on this issue they might be able to fix it

Eternity4ever
I've been here awhile
Just updated the latest firmware and haven't had lte drop

Hi Everyone,

I'm usually in Vancouver and Richmond and I've been having this problem since day one, May ish. I've tried everything from sim swap, network refresh, factory reset, and warranty repair. Nothing worked so I had to call and request a new one because I've sent it in once and nothing was fixed so I was not convinced that sending it again will fix it.

I got my replacement via mail in like 26hrs, not bad, and I'm still experiencing the problem. It's BETTER than my old one but still drops just not as frequent. I was with Bell for the longest time and ppl kept on telling me Rogers has the best signal etc. All I can say is that I've never missed Bell so much and I have to admit I miss Bell........

Sidenote, I unlocked my first S7E and used Roam Mobility for 3 days and it was flawless so I'm convinced that it's the network.

I really hope Rogers fix this issue because not getting signal, dropping signal, and restarting my phone is inconvenient.

I have not received any notification for any updates. Perhaps a moderator on here can comment on the rollout of the latest update which might address this issue.

Infinite0339
I've been here awhile
I'm a Fido customer and got the S7 update a week ago. It was working fine until an hour ago. Same issue. Network dropped and showing "4g" instead of "LTE" and I can't load any webpages. Had to restart the phone. Seems the S7 update didn't fix this issue.

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around

I'm just quite surprise that this issue has been going on for a while and no fix yet. I know programming take time but this is getting frustrating with missing calls, dropping call, dropping LTE and more.

I really hope Rogers will compensate for this issue. I switched to Rogers because all my friends say it's better than Bell. Even if Rogers is better than Bell, if they can't even fix this problem with their phones using the full extent of their network, what's the point?

TL;DR

Please get this fixed for it's getting annoying and I'm running out of patience.

Does anyone on here even work for Rogers? Or are we all just here complaining to ourselves? It's been months now and techical support hasn't done anything all. Starting to think they've just swept this issue under the rug since this is happening to such a small fraction of their customers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @whung

The MODS do work for Rogers but if they don't have any information, they can't post anything. I do know they are looking into this but as again the backend is responsible for a answer. I do want to hear about this as well. My S7 edge doesn't have an issues at all like this but I do know someome that does.

No, typically profanity is not accepted on public forums. You are most likely correct, Rogers probably assigns support to issues based on the number of users having it. There has been no response from any Rogers moderator or tech support on this thread to date. The other topic on here regarding the firmware update has finally been responded to by Rogers advising that the rollout has been put on hold for some reason. It's unclear if this update even fixes the issue we are having. Some users on Fido followed tech support suggestions and sent in their phones for repair, replaced the SIM card, restored the phone, replaced the phone etc. without success. No surprise there. Somehow I don't see Rogers just coming out and admitting there is a problem with the network and some of these handsets. If a problem is identified and a solution found, it will be addressed in an update as a "bug fix". Meanwhile we wait............................................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around

My phone just dropped signal for no reason. 10 minutes ago it was LTE. Took it out of my pocket and emergency calls only!

Rogers come on!!!

I have just got my s7 back from its second visit to repair.  (Previous to this I had reset the radios, reset the phone entirely (twice), had a Rogers tech do something remotely & had SIMs replaced and another visit to the repair centre.)

I am a bit surprised, but am now 60 hours without a problem, whereas before the phone would lose data connection after as little as 2 hours (and often then be unable to make/receive calls).  The repair notes says:

[312] Replaced PBA - Other - BGA failure

I hope this post now doesn't jinx it, but am holding my breath that I finally have a fix.

Other notes: a colleague at work with s7 has had zero issues with his.  A customer of mine though has the same dropped data connection issue as does his brother-in-law (both with s7).

real__es8
I'm here a lot

Add me to the list.

• Had the phone since March
  • Phone unlocked
  • Originally had Rogers remove VOLTE as I needed to use Rogers One Number
  • 2 factory resets
  • 1 service depot repair (no issues found)
  • 1 replacement phone
  • 3 sim cards
  • Placed back onto VOLTE to see if that made any difference
  • 3rd time Factory reset. Now that it still with stock apps Rogers will remove me from VOLTE to see if it could be combination of VOLTE and software issue...

I see that FIDO customers are having same issue http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/28437/page/1

G-R-R-R-R

kovl
I've been here awhile

I'm also experiencing this problem.  Got an S7 about a month ago.  Had the emergency calls only issue a couple days after getting it.  Went back to the rogers store and they changed some settings on the phone.  Seemed to work for a couple days but still has the same issue everyone else here is experiencing. 

Seems to be sporadic as well.  Some times I can go a couple days without issue.  Other days It happens multiple times a day.  I'm on the July security update.

Stupidchoice
I've been around
I have same issues and LTE speed is 3 times slower then other networks.
It was bad choice to switch Rogers from Bell.

Littl3d3vil2
I plan to stick around
Just got an update this morning. Not sure will it fix the problem or not. I agree. I had 0 problem with Bell and I do regret switching. If it wasn't for the employee plan, I would have never switched.
Topic Stats