cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

JRM2011
I've been here awhile
Mine has been good since the software update a few weeks ago. No need to be on the ext networks anymore.

View solution in original post

221 REPLIES 221

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @whung

My S7 edge does that at times but it all depends on which location i am in. Normally if i am not near a cell tower or in my basement it does this.

I have heard other have issues with a cellular signal with the S7 in the states and here in Canada. It's nothing Rogers can do as it seems to be all over. I'll check and see if I can find out more information for u

whung
I'm here a lot

Thanks @Meowmix

There's a Rogers cell tower about 200 yards away from my work so I don't believe that's the issue. Also, I can be sitting next to my friend who is also on Rogers and he will have data, but I won't. What I don't understand is that the problem goes away after a restart, so is this a software/hardware issue?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @whung

Its most likely a software issue which needs to be addressed on both sides but not many are complaining about it with Rogers. I see more of AT&T and Verizon but only some with Rogers. They still need to address this issue nonetheless. My sisters Blackberry Priv does the same. She gets full bars meanwhile sometimes I get barely any.

Jason_333
I'm here a lot
Hey man I seem to be having the same problem! Do you get duplicate messages as well? Sometimes I get quadrupled messages... It's quite the annoyance having to reset your phone so many times a day. On top of data deterioration I would have to reset my phone just to send a message when I have full bars at times... I tried the in store device aid but that was no help since the phone has to be acting up on the spot for them to see any issues. Frustrating. Anyways, I hope Rogers finds a solution. At this point I miss my S5, never had any issues with ol faithful but I abandoned her on a beach someplace....

JSR84
I've been here awhile
I have been having the exact same issues. Rogers originally sent me a newsed device (through the Advanced Exchange Program) and it was better for about 2 days, then is began to act up again, (unstable data connections, unreliable text messages etc.) I sent them back their newsed (new/used) device as mine was in perfect shape and the one they sent me had a few scratches. I then tried to change SIM cards and that worked for again, 2 days before the problems returned, I called Rogers and told them the steps I had followed, they assured me it had to be hardware and wanted to send me a new device. reluctantly, I accepted but only because they promised me a factory fresh device, who would turn that down! I received it exactly 26 hours later, that was 2 days ago, so far there have any been 2 instances of having to resend a text, but no issues with data. If it acts up I'm going to try removing the SIM and reinstalling it. I've noticed it's good for about 2 days after I've replaced the device or SIM.

whung
I'm here a lot
I haven't had the issue of duplicate texts yet. I just can't send when I have no data/network connection.

@JSR84

Glad yours is working now, at least there's some hope for me. Let me know if it starts acting up again though. It's weird because advanced technical support said they haven't had this issue before.

I have the same issue.  Network goes from LTE to 4G then to nothing.  Sometimes phone will also fail to dial out.  Rogers support told me to do a factory default.  I am now waiting to see if there is a recurrance.

corey170
I plan to stick around

I have the exact same issue as well. In the exact same situation too: they did a network reset then sent me a brand new phone and still the same issue. Now the guy is trying to say its an app on my phone? Come on this obviously a network issue on Roger's end and its kind of bs that we have to pay full price for service that they can only provide partially throughout the day.

I wonder if we all have anything in common (other than GS7) that could be the source of the problem? Location or something? I live in Victoria BC, just recently had my number switched over from Bell to Rogers, and I have a Spotify Premium subscription through Rogers. 

corey170
I plan to stick around

@Jason_333

Yo you can get rid of the duplicate messages pretty easy by turning off Voice Over LTE. Go into your phone app, then more (top right), then settings. Turn off VoLTE and that should solve your duplicate text problem (it also is a pretty useless feature unless you actually call people)

I don't think it's because of an app. I've ran the phone with only stock apps and still the same issue. I also don't think it's location based, since in based in Richmond/Vancouver. It would be pretty horrible network coverage for me to not have data in the middle of Vancouver.

corey170
I plan to stick around

Maybe its just a west coast thing? I was in halifax for 6 days a couple weeks ago and I had service the entire time (although it did switch to roaming sometimes - even though Halifax is nowhere near any borders).

Hi wondering if anyone else is having this issue,

I bought my S7 Edge last week and I started noticing that my phone will drop all internet data connection randomly at times... Usually the only solution that works is if I reset my phone, quite annoying when it needs to be done 3-4 times a day. I've checked that my sim card works on my old phone (HTC M8) and it doesn't have the same issues. 

Anyone have a solution?

JSR84
I've been here awhile

Seems there are a lucky few who have had this issue myself included. It was extremely frustrating, they sent me a refurbished phone which still had the same issue so I sent it back, I swapped out my SIM which didn't help either. Finally after hours on the phone they sent me a bran new device. It's been about 3 weeks now and (knock on on wood) the issue seems to be resolved. I still get the odd text that needs to be resent but I can live with that.

I have the same issue.  I tried

• calling customer support who did some sort of reset on their side
  • resetting the mobile (WiFi, phone, LTE)
  • default the entire phone
  • new SIM

Now the phone is in for repair (nearly 2 weeks).  It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but if I were you I would immediately request a new S7 or return it altogether. If you wait more than 2 weeks you have to go through the repair process I am going through.

I am on the West Coast and have this issue, but only here in Vancouver.  The curious thing is I was in Ontario (Toronto/Hamilton/Ottawa) for 10 days and thought it was fixed, but as soon as I got home it started to play up again.

canuckcrux
I'm here a lot

By the way - please post as much info and as specific as possible.  If I still have the problem when I get my phone back from repair and it recurs, I am going to try the "Go Public" route with CBC.  So, the more posts and info on this problem the better.

corey170
I plan to stick around

Has anyone noticed this problem in any area other than Vancouver or Victoria? I think it's something wrong with the towers around here not being compatible with our accounts/phones. I've only been with Rogers for a couple months and so far the experience has been pretty horrible. I miss Bell 😞

My phone was away for repair for 2 weeks and has now been returned.  Apparently no fault found.  I reloaded all my apps over WiFi, turned off WiFi to test mobile data.  Worked fine for about 2 hours (initial Speedtest gave approx 12.5 Mb download, 2.5 Mb up, but after that it went to <4 Mb down and 0.01 Mb up.  Sometimes Speedtest would not run at all (no network connection).

Reboot phone and all is well again.

For the last 2 weeks I was using my old S3 - didn't have a single problem with mobile data.

corey170
I plan to stick around
I did some testing with text messaging today. One of the texts was an hour late, which makes me not want to use sms at all any more. As far as data loss goes, my data cut out today (it still says 4g on my phone but websites can't load and all apps are offline). I was sitting right next to my friend who also has a GS7 on Rogers and his data worked fine. Had anybody experienced this problem when connected to LTE?

Infinite0339
I've been here awhile
Hi

I'm a Fido customer with a GS7. Just want to let you guys know that some of us Fido customers are having similar issue with our GS7. Someone on the forum also has an LG G5 that was having this issue with Fido, but now he's on Virgin and it's working fine on Virgins/Bell network. I'm leaning towards Rogers/Fido network being the problem here and not our devices as other GS7 users on Bell or Telus are not having this problem as far as I can see from googling.

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/28437/page/1
Topic Stats