Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Hello @whung

My S7 edge does that at times but it all depends on which location i am in. Normally if i am not near a cell tower or in my basement it does this.

I have heard other have issues with a cellular signal with the S7 in the states and here in Canada. It's nothing Rogers can do as it seems to be all over. I'll check and see if I can find out more information for u
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks @Meowmix

There's a Rogers cell tower about 200 yards away from my work so I don't believe that's the issue. Also, I can be sitting next to my friend who is also on Rogers and he will have data, but I won't. What I don't understand is that the problem goes away after a restart, so is this a software/hardware issue?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @whung

Its most likely a software issue which needs to be addressed on both sides but not many are complaining about it with Rogers. I see more of AT&T and Verizon but only some with Rogers. They still need to address this issue nonetheless. My sisters Blackberry Priv does the same. She gets full bars meanwhile sometimes I get barely any.
I'm Here A Lot

Hey man I seem to be having the same problem! Do you get duplicate messages as well? Sometimes I get quadrupled messages... It's quite the annoyance having to reset your phone so many times a day. On top of data deterioration I would have to reset my phone just to send a message when I have full bars at times... I tried the in store device aid but that was no help since the phone has to be acting up on the spot for them to see any issues. Frustrating. Anyways, I hope Rogers finds a solution. At this point I miss my S5, never had any issues with ol faithful but I abandoned her on a beach someplace....
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having the exact same issues. Rogers originally sent me a newsed device (through the Advanced Exchange Program) and it was better for about 2 days, then is began to act up again, (unstable data connections, unreliable text messages etc.) I sent them back their newsed (new/used) device as mine was in perfect shape and the one they sent me had a few scratches. I then tried to change SIM cards and that worked for again, 2 days before the problems returned, I called Rogers and told them the steps I had followed, they assured me it had to be hardware and wanted to send me a new device. reluctantly, I accepted but only because they promised me a factory fresh device, who would turn that down! I received it exactly 26 hours later, that was 2 days ago, so far there have any been 2 instances of having to resend a text, but no issues with data. If it acts up I'm going to try removing the SIM and reinstalling it. I've noticed it's good for about 2 days after I've replaced the device or SIM.
I'm Here A Lot

I haven't had the issue of duplicate texts yet. I just can't send when I have no data/network connection.

@JSR84

Glad yours is working now, at least there's some hope for me. Let me know if it starts acting up again though. It's weird because advanced technical support said they haven't had this issue before.
I'm Here A Lot

I have the same issue.  Network goes from LTE to 4G then to nothing.  Sometimes phone will also fail to dial out.  Rogers support told me to do a factory default.  I am now waiting to see if there is a recurrance.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the exact same issue as well. In the exact same situation too: they did a network reset then sent me a brand new phone and still the same issue. Now the guy is trying to say its an app on my phone? Come on this obviously a network issue on Roger's end and its kind of bs that we have to pay full price for service that they can only provide partially throughout the day.

I wonder if we all have anything in common (other than GS7) that could be the source of the problem? Location or something? I live in Victoria BC, just recently had my number switched over from Bell to Rogers, and I have a Spotify Premium subscription through Rogers. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Jason_333

Yo you can get rid of the duplicate messages pretty easy by turning off Voice Over LTE. Go into your phone app, then more (top right), then settings. Turn off VoLTE and that should solve your duplicate text problem (it also is a pretty useless feature unless you actually call people)

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats