cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 Shut off (bricked) twice yesterday

JDinToronto
I'm here a lot

Running latest version according to phone 6.0.1 and no updates in the queue

As subject mentions the phone shut down on me twice (Oct 5th) and had to go through the gyrations of volume down key, home button, and power button to get it to finally turn on boot up. Running a bit hot as well when charging and bettery life is not that great! 

Rogers rep in one of the stores mentioned is had something to do with oculus and a patch will be coming out shortly - well after i went home and found out what oculus was, I don't use the VR gear or app ..

So is this something to be concerned about with a 5 month old phone!! I

1. Is the last software update the culprit?

2. Is there in a fact a patch that is going to address this.

Thanks and new to Android - hope this was the right move! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Galaxy S7 Shut off (bricked) twice yesterday

Sorry for not coming back and responding but the incident never repeated itself since ...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JDinToronto

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the device to see if that will fix the issue?

Have you contracted Samsung Canada tech support to see what they say?

None to either yet - especially if it entails wiping out my phone.

Question - Guess i'll have to raad up on backing up and restoring everything or will that potententially restore whatever caused the issue?

I'll check with Samsung Canada tech later on - thought i'd try the community here first.

Cheers

bubbbab
I plan to stick around
Before you do, do you have someone on the same carrier as you from whom you can borrow their sim card and try it in your phone.

I do phone repairs here, and 2 weeks ago we had an S7 in for an LCD assembly and the customer mentioned a similar unexpected shutdown scenario. We hung on to the phone for an extra day and watched, and sure enough, it was doing this, often. After a little fiddling, we tried another sim card and there were no shutdowns. Might not hurt to give that a try. Turned out to be a simple adjustment.

Steve...

Hey Steve

Thanks for the tip,  I'm not going to try that yet since it hasn't bricked again since 2 days ago.

I haven't decided if i should wait for another bricking incident and then try Samsung's suggestion or just do it now and hope it doesn't happen again

Failing the above i'll then give your tip a shot but finding someone who's willing to give me their sim could be challenging and it would have to be bricking as you say "often" - we haven't hit that stage yet. 

Cheers

bubbbab
I plan to stick around

All makes perfect sense. There have been some update related isses as well with Samsung devices but most of those were relative to the bump from KitKat to Lolipop which is not in your realm.  Of course when the issue isn;t a regular occurence, dignosis can be a long and arduous process.

Hope all goes well for you and your trusty 7!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JDinToronto

Hopefully it's been all fixed up. Let us know :).

Nothappy1960
I've been here awhile

There is no use contacting Samsung Canada i tried by phone by email no replies ..so since Roger's and Samsung aren't answering ..sorry i took a different  way to get heard .Phone hasen't been receiving messages for days now and it get red hot in min ...and battery not working well

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Nothappy1960

You could contact Rogers and ask a manager to transfer you to their Office of the President. They will help you out.

Ask to speak to them and u will get help. Samsung Canada you will need to ask a customer service representative to transfer you to a manager or level 2 and have them contact u.

Also have you checked XDA ( Android Forum developers and such) to see if they can help you?

Nothappy1960
I've been here awhile
Well I got my problem fix. I did what I had to do the right way. And finally for all the times I called and search for help I family got good service, and a rep that took the time to listen to me ; and understood what I was asking for help.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Nothappy1960

That is great to hear!

Sorry for not coming back and responding but the incident never repeated itself since ...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JDinToronto

Glad to hear!
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation