Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

Hello @ghhfh

You won't get the answer you are looking for. Believe me. I know as i have the S7 edge and writing for the updates as well. Again you never know what is going on in the back end and the staff are limited on what they can say or do.
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure who's responsible for the delays. Is it samsung or the carriers? The carriers in the US have been pushing the updates fairly quickly. What's even more confusing is the priv has been getting updated just like a nexus as far as security patches.
I'm Here A Lot

Not Samsung, because they have been timely with their monthly updates. They always post their updates on time, at least so far. Some carriers already have issued July security patch.

It's soley on carrier's part: to verify and implement newly released security patches through series of internal network testing (which by the way should not take weeks in any case since it's not adding or removing new components), and push it via OTA updates.

This can be a big problem because these patches not only update the security measures, but often comes with bug fixes and system improvements (ie. Camera/battery drain fix packaged with June security patch). As customers, we have all the right to complain about never getting MONTHLY pathches, let alone getting it bi-monthly or from the way it looks, three months of no patches.

Some carriers don't bother with issuing pathces mostly because average consumers do not know such things exist and do not know their rights to claim the patches. And it doesn't really benefit them money wise, on the surface anyways. This results in carriers just ignoring the whole process or being lazy about it, since the only people who complain about it are people who actually know what's going on, and the number is just a handful, small enough for the carrier to just ignore and don't affect the business.

Rogers has been especially lazy with their software support when it comes to wireless, and lazy is just putting it softly. To put it into perspective, Galaxy S6s have received Marshmallow 6.0.1update during April in other Canadian carriers (even smaller companies), whereas Rogers is yet to update its Galaxy S6, which is only a one year-old flagship device. Android N (7), is looming on the horizon while "Rogers "Galaxy S6 is still sitting on Lollipop (5).

If this number grows, and more and more consumers come to know what they are missing and that they aren't getting something they should be getting, this might change the situation and the carrier's behaviour. If this number becomes big enough and collective actions, such as not renewing the contracts and moving to the competitors, grow to be capable of influencing the business (aka money flow), company then might start to pay attention and just might take some actions to resolve the situation (ie. Hiring more to actually have a functional software devlopment team to support such process). Until then, carriers will just try to milk as much money as they can with minimal investment put back into improving the custmer experience.

So, I for one, am planning to pass up on Rogers once the contract is done, unless some improvements are seen. This is after being a loyal customer (aka throwing money at them) of 10+ years with variety of services.

For people who are reading this, know that more and more people need to complain about the situation to actually make it go noticed. Works just like politics.

Thank you for reading my rant.
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has been the worst out of the bunch but I can't say telus or Bell are much better either.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Malek777

Thats because Blackberry is working with the carriers to release the updates as soon as possible. Where Samsung and HTC and the other i don't see it. I can't just blame Rogers where once Rogers is done, the updates is given to Samsung and they release it. So if the manufacturer isn't putting any pressure to the carriers, then the carriers will take time.
I Plan to Stick Around

So you're telling me that samsung is working with every carrier in the world but the canadian ones lol hmm I don't know about that to me it sounds like an excuse.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Malek777

Thats what I was told.. Blackberry gets them out before as per their own contract with the carriers. So Samsung could have a different one.
I Plan to Stick Around

I guess we'll never know until someone from rogers or samsung explains how this works but I doubt that's gonna happen. Instead we ll have 2 parties throwing the blame at each other while the customer is left in the middle with no answers.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Malek777

Thats how it will always be. No one will find out the truth but at the same time no company does say how it works.
I Plan to Stick Around

Lol that's true because there's no reason to explain anything. They actually push the updates.