cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

highka
I'm here a lot
When would there be Galaxy S7/Edge users receive OTA firmware updates, containing monthly security patch updates? It's still at April security patch level and users of other carriers have been getting June update as early as late May.
Please do not disregard customer concerns or assume that average customers won't notice or care about the updates thus not making complaints about really late updates.
I hope to be receiving updates, hopefully the latest which willbe July update, soon.
210 REPLIES 210

Re: Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

Hi @Soljah,

Thank you for taking the time to explain the issue in detail. It's definitely unusual that Kade's VoLTE feature stopped working too. I'd like to help resolve this for you. Please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps next time you're online.

To learn more about our Private Messaging system, please visit the blog here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

RogersZia

Sushil1011
I plan to stick around

Hi                      ,

I have same issue as you described after recent Nougat update. I can't do video calling from S7 Nougat to S7 Nougat on either home wifi or Rogers LTE network. I also notice it takes 5-10 second before it rings other end and call transfer as voice call. When I try on Rogers LTE network, call receiver LTE  signal drop to 4G and call transfer as voice call.

I have total four lines with Rogers. Two phones are S7 Nougat and two Note 5 Marshmellow.

If I try video call from S7 Nougat to Note 5 Marshmellow or vice versa. it works fine.

I have same issue when I updated for Marshmellow and it fixed when Rogers tech support reset network on their end for my line. This is known issue and several people reported at that time.

Please report your finding/solution.

dlouisseize
I plan to stick around
So I can confirm that I can make videos calls from S7 Edge on N to Note 5 on M. I wasn't able to test to another S7 Edge on N.

@Sushil1011 - In speaking with everyone so far (Rogers and Samsung), it is apparently an issue related directly to the Rogers network/network setting.

I'll keep you updated with whatever I find out.

Sushil1011
I plan to stick around

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/33387/page/2

Here is link for same issue when I update Note 5 for Marshmellow.

I'm happy to report the Video over LTE issues seems to have been resolved as of this evening (30MAR2017)! Video and voice over LTE both working without any issues now.

Can anybody else confirm?

Also, there appears to be a Rogers issue with their implementation of RCS (for messages using Google's Android Messages). If you have it enabled and try to message another person on the Rogers Network (Fido included) who has RCS enabled, you won't be able to send or receive any messages to one another. The only workaround we found for that is disabling RCS altogether and just using normal SMS/MMS. Anybody else notice that issue?

jmatteis
I plan to stick around

How does the whole VOLTE work?  How can I test to see if it works for me.  Wondering what it does, why I need it?  Sorry for all the questions, didn't realize I had this.

@jmatteis - VoLTE is either Voice over LTE or Video over LTE. When using only for a voice call, the connection is much faster and the quality improvement is noticeable. Additionally, you stay on LTE so if you need to do anything with data (ie. find a location or directions on a map, look at emails, etc.) you will still have the faster data connection.

Video over LTE only works with compatible phones on compatible carriers (ie. Rogers to Rogers, Rogers to Fido, and Fido to Fido). All I know is that the S7 and S7 Edge have the video feature enabled. Simply put, when you call someone, you can choose to do a video call directly from your phone dialer the exact same way you would make a voice call. So no need to use Skype, WhatsApp, Duo, Hangouts, or any other app for video calls!

jmatteis
I plan to stick around
OK, thanks. I remember I was having issues previously on my S5 where my phone signal was weak, and they had me turn off LTE and use 4G to make the phone signal stronger... now, with this, I leave it on auto always... with Voice over LTE, does it use data, or just allow your phone to work as well on LTE as 4G?

@jmatteis - Voice over LTE doesn't use any of your monthly data included in your plan but it will use your minutes included in your plan.

I rarely ever connect to WiFi these days. I just use LTE data 24/7 and I've noticed a lot better battery life with my S7 Edge... I routinely get between 1.5 and 2 days on each charge and up to 7:45 mins of on screen time with Nougat! Using WiFi at home significantly drains my battery faster and I get way less on screen time.

jmatteis
I plan to stick around

Unfortunately I can't get away without Wifi at home...  I download quite a bit and use my phone to surf, watch videos, listen to Spotify etc and would eat through my data in no time.

@jmatteis - I completely understand. Maybe try only turning on WiFi when you need it and disabling it when you're not using it and see if that helps increase battery life and usage.

Do you use VoLTE currently on your S7 or S7 Edge?

Sushil1011
I plan to stick around

Yep Video calling working now from S7 Nougat to S7 Nougat. Thanks for reporting back.

Hello all,

My (stock, un-rooted) Samsung S7 Galaxy Edge prompted me to install Android 7 Nougat this morning:

Screenshot_20170331-081051.png

Hopefully, Galaxy S7 users got it too!  🙂

Here is the rest of the "Software Update" screen, for those who are interested:

Screenshot_20170331-112127.pngScreenshot_20170331-112131.pngScreenshot_20170331-112148.png

ismar
I'm here a lot
Slow motion video is still choppy after 7.0 update. Will this ever be fixed?

Hi @ismar

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums.

To better assist you, can you clarify if you referring to the slow motion feature while recording or is this when you are streaming videos on your device?

Can you provide more details on the issue you are experiencing?

RogersPrasana

Hi @RogersPrasana

After recording slow motion on my s7 it is evident often I play the video that slow motion part is choppy. It was a known bug back in the day when the phone was released but it looks like it was never addressed.

Hi @ismar

Do you have this occuring with all videos that your record? Does the length make a difference?

Maybe one of our Resident Experts can provide some insight, @Meowmix ?

RogersPrasana

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello @ismar,

I just created a test slo-motion recording with my Samsung S7 Edge -- playback is smooth. 

Questions: Do you have a microSD card inserted into the phone? Do normal-motion (standard) video clips that you recorded play smoothly?

I am running Android Nougat (7.0) and the slo-mo video was recorded at 720p (max resolution available in this mode; am recording 1080p/60fps normally). 

When will the 7.1.2 update come to the samsung s7 edge?
Topic Stats