cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

highka
I'm here a lot
When would there be Galaxy S7/Edge users receive OTA firmware updates, containing monthly security patch updates? It's still at April security patch level and users of other carriers have been getting June update as early as late May.
Please do not disregard customer concerns or assume that average customers won't notice or care about the updates thus not making complaints about really late updates.
I hope to be receiving updates, hopefully the latest which willbe July update, soon.
210 REPLIES 210

Re: Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Hua

Many don't see it that way sadly. They rather get the update pushed out right away and then complain about bugs, issues with connectivity and such. A carrier has to always check the update and make sure even if the bloatware isn't necessary, to make sure the network and all together work fine with that update. Has Rogers taken their time with updates? Yes they have. Many times. But as u said i rather have a safe update then a update which has been pushed out past and has issues. Again that's my opinion.

bottleb
I plan to stick around
Lol the Philippines have it now.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bottleb

Yes but do remember down there they barely even look at the updates. All they do is send them out.

Anyways the update will come when it does and it will be great!

bottleb
I plan to stick around
Trueeeeee dat.

Hope it fixes ID3 tags not showing via bluetooth in mazda 3

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bottleb

I hope so! Alot of customer are having that issue.

Hua
I plan to stick around
@Meowmix Yep, too many things can go wrong with an update. Battery drain can go through the roof because of a network tuning parameter, wifi calling could break, etc. etc. It takes a lot effort to ensure a change is an incremental improvement, not win-some-break-some update. Those big corporations specialized in product development made it looks easy to improve products, most people don't realize how difficult it actually is. Carriers are not Apple or Google or Microsoft, they have their own strengths but this is not it.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Hua

Exactly. That's why i guess Rogers takes their time to add their bloatware but to also make sure the device will work fine with everything else and not break anything. A rush can result into bad things causing as u said many issues.

bottleb
I plan to stick around
So the OS Update sched was updated 15 mins ago but nothing new on it. Seems like nothing changed:(

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bottleb

Yeah i seen that too. Maybe had to change Something from before hand. The wait continues lol.

sparky70
I plan to stick around

WOOT!!!  the os schedule board says MArch 20 for 7.0  to be released for the S7 and S7Edge.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @sparky70 and everyone!

That is correct! As of March 20th, Rogers will push out 7.0 Nougat update for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge! This update will bring new and exciting things!

Please remember that the update will be pushed in phases so everyone may not get it the same time!. 🙂

jmatteis
I plan to stick around

I am hoping this update will solve the problems I have been having with the light sensor.  Never ever did receive the kernal update that was supposed to happen in December... I am still showing at updated last November 18th.  That was when I started having issues with the auto-darkening feature, for the screen as well, when I put the phone to my face to talk, the screen doesn't dim and so my ear or cheek causes all kinds of things to happen as if I am touching the screen.  If the Nougat update doesn't fix anything, I guess I then will have to return this phone to Rogers for repair.  Also wondering, how long after the 20th, I should wait to see if I am getting the update, since my phone and Samsung switch did not register an update to the kernal after Nov 18th, when everyone else I know got one.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @jmatties

Hopefully they fix this issues for you. The only option is sending into repair and see if they will change things for you. ( changed the main board and sensors. )

i have the att unlocked samsung s7 edge and can someone give me the roger software update dm setting. I would to update to nougat.

press the dailer *#8736364#

jmatteis
I plan to stick around

Had to come in to report that with the Nougat upgrade, my light sensor issues seem to have been resolved.  I am a happy guy now.  

dlouisseize
I plan to stick around
Is anyone else experiencing issues with VoLTE on Nougat? Much like one of the previous updates in July of last year my phone has to switch to 4G to make/receive calls. That's a problem for me because I force my phone to stay on LTE or else it always switches to 4G networks that I can't use (extended network) because they refuse to give me that feature due to my plan. Hopefully they fix VoLTE quickly but I won't get my hopes up. Also I just noticed that my WiFi calling doesn't work either. I don't really mind but yet another broken feature from Rogers.

dlouisseize
I plan to stick around
I stand corrected, just like magic my VoLTE and Wifi Calling just started working again this afternoon just by posting here. Must be Karma. Hope that's the case for everyone!

I do have a problem with VoLTE (video only) since updating to Android Nougat. It no longer works, period. The voice over LTE still works properly as well as everything else but the video over LTE was an important feature for us.

In speaking w/ Tech Support they stated they haven't heard of this issue being reported by anyone else yet and nothing we tried worked.

Anybody else having issues with VoLTE video calling?

Hi @Soljah,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we haven't been notified about this issue. Just to clarify, what happens when you try to initiate a video call? Does the call not go through at all? Just need a little more info. to recommend troubleshooting steps.

@dlouisseize glad to hear the issue has been resolved for you. Thank you for keeping us posted :).

RogersZia

jmatteis
I plan to stick around

Had a couple random lockups and reboots since updating... is this common?  One time happened overnight, while it was charging (assuming it restarted as when I went to get into the phone with my fingerprint it said I had to use my PIN after a restart.  The other day, was in an app, it totally locked up, home didn't work, power button on side unresponsive, left it for a while and it rebooted on its own...

@RogersZia Over the weekend, I have discussed this issue with Roger Tech Support (RTS) and Samsung and both said they have not heard anything about the VoLTE issues. RTS suggested to go into a Rogers corporate store and do a sim swap as a last step just in case it could be a faulty sim card.

Upon going to the Rogers on Yonge Street in Davisville (Toronto), I got incredibly lucky in speaking with Rogers employee Kade at the store as we happened to have the exact same Rogers phone, the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. He was still on Marshmallow and I proceeded to explain my issues.

Again, since updating my Rogers S7 Edge, I can no longer video call over LTE. Voice over LTE still works without issues. My spouse is on Fido with the same phone and got the Nougat update on 20MAR2017. While I was still on Marshmallow, I was still able to video call her over LTE without issues. As soon as I updated to Nougat, I could no longer video call her over LTE, only voice call her over LTE. When we try to video call now, the sender still remains on LTE on the video call screen but the phone doesn't start ringing until the receiver drops down to 3g (5-12 seconds) and then starts ringing but shows up only as a voice call for the receiver.

Since Kade at the Rogers store was still on Marshmallow, we video called a couple of times without any issues in the store. Then we checked and he had the Nougat update available. So I waited in the store while he downloaded and installed Nougat, then we tried to video call over LTE and neither of us could any longer. The same issues as described above were happening where the sender had to wait until the receiver dropped down to 3g before the call would start ringing.

Kade then contacted someone from Samsung about the issues who apparently looked into it and then called back after a bit stating they have no known issues and when they looked into the Nougat update, everything appears to be fine on their end. Then it was apparently suggested it seems to be a Rogers network issue. Kade then stated he would send out a corporate email to inform Rogers staff this may become a more widely reported issue and would try to get in touch with the Rogers Tech staff to find out what the issue(s) is/are and when they plan on fixing this as now his video calling over LTE is 'broken' as well.

In contacting RTS and Samsung, I have already done all the steps they have asked me to do even prior to contacting them. I reset my phone to the factory default approximately 5 times and I also wiped the cache partition several times. I even just skipped all the setup steps and just had the basics on the phone without installing any apps and tried the video calling over LTE and still no luck with the same issues.

Topic Stats