cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

highka
I'm here a lot
When would there be Galaxy S7/Edge users receive OTA firmware updates, containing monthly security patch updates? It's still at April security patch level and users of other carriers have been getting June update as early as late May.
Please do not disregard customer concerns or assume that average customers won't notice or care about the updates thus not making complaints about really late updates.
I hope to be receiving updates, hopefully the latest which willbe July update, soon.
210 REPLIES 210

Re: Galaxy S7 Firmware updates

RogersLynne
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @highka

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums. 

The 6.0.1 software update for the Samsung S7 should be released soon. We have no specific dates available besides Summer 2016.

We appreciate your patience.

@RogersLynne

Hey @RogersLynne it seems that the Galaxy S7 is already running 6.0.1, my Galaxy is already running it. What @highka is refering to is the monthly security patches that google and samsung have been releasing for quite some time to combat security exploits and improve performance in android phones. Almost every single cell carrier in the world has been pushing these updates within a week or two of their release with the most recent update being the june security patch to the best of my knowledge. It seems that Rogers customers are only patched up to April 2nd, 2016. This means that Android users on the Rogers wireless network are being left with potentially vulnerable versions of the operating system while the rest of the world is having their systems patched on a monthly basis seeing frequent improvements in security and performance.

highka
I'm here a lot
Exactly my point, thank you.
Samsung has been releasing these monthly security pathches yet Rogers Galaxy S7 is stuck at April version the patch.

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

At this point with any Rogers services should it really surprise anyone on what's delivered to them? I mean it would shock me more if they changed their process on how these udpdates are sent to us rather then how many months behind we are.

Makes you wonder with the higher ups in the company must be using other phones then Android because this surely wouldn't fly with them hearing how long this takes or making them wait.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @AccordXTC

You would be surprised if i told you that most of them use IPhones and some use BlackBerries. I have seen some use Android phones though.. It all depends. It seems to me that they are taking their time on the updates but it's only the carriers fault as well. Rogers does push the updates to the manufacturers and then they also decide when to release them but I do fully agree with all this. Updates and firmware and software need to be released on time.

bottleb
I plan to stick around

Pretty crazy we are still on April updates.

When i look at  http://live.samsung-updates.com/     its incredible how fast some other carriers outside north america push regular updates. Some of them even still update 4.4.4 on a regular basis!!!!

This might be my last non nexus device...its the latest flagship and updates are still lagging...

bottleb
I plan to stick around

Rogers - if you see this...

Here's a thought...

Put together a beta testing program for your firmware updates.

Have customers opt-in and have real testing on the field...im sure people would actually switch carriers to have that..

By opting in, people accept that bugs might be present, and you get them reported much faster...

do it,i dare you

I don't think testing for security patches require a lot of time, considering these are 'patches' not something like an entire firmware update. It's just the carrier being lazy, nothing more. But good idea.

Anyhow, Samsung has released July patch, and no sign of even June patch coming from Rogers. Galaxy S6 I also have doesn't even have Marshmallow yet, when other carriers have had their Note 4 (which is an older device than S6 mind you) updated for some time now.
I'm all but one customer but I will be switching to other carrier if things don't get worked out by the time contract ends. Rogers aren't taking Android customers seriously and are thinking we are all non-techies who know nothing about what's going on, which is apparent in how they react to this situation (not even responding or releasing dates).
Here's my rant and have a nice day.

ghhfh
I've been here awhile
I just spoke to a Rogers rep. He said he didn't have access to information about when the security updates would be made available.

He contacted tier 2 support and they said they had no ETA, it was still listed as "to be determined".

This is very very disapointing.

Can anyone at Rogers comment further on this? What is causing the delay? We have been waiting 3 months (quarter year) for an update.

We've missed the May update, June update, and it doesn't look like we're getting the July update anytime soon.

These are important security updates to protect your customers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ghhfh

You won't get the answer you are looking for. Believe me. I know as i have the S7 edge and writing for the updates as well. Again you never know what is going on in the back end and the staff are limited on what they can say or do.

Malek777
I plan to stick around
I'm not sure who's responsible for the delays. Is it samsung or the carriers? The carriers in the US have been pushing the updates fairly quickly. What's even more confusing is the priv has been getting updated just like a nexus as far as security patches.

Not Samsung, because they have been timely with their monthly updates. They always post their updates on time, at least so far. Some carriers already have issued July security patch.

It's soley on carrier's part: to verify and implement newly released security patches through series of internal network testing (which by the way should not take weeks in any case since it's not adding or removing new components), and push it via OTA updates.

This can be a big problem because these patches not only update the security measures, but often comes with bug fixes and system improvements (ie. Camera/battery drain fix packaged with June security patch). As customers, we have all the right to complain about never getting MONTHLY pathches, let alone getting it bi-monthly or from the way it looks, three months of no patches.

Some carriers don't bother with issuing pathces mostly because average consumers do not know such things exist and do not know their rights to claim the patches. And it doesn't really benefit them money wise, on the surface anyways. This results in carriers just ignoring the whole process or being lazy about it, since the only people who complain about it are people who actually know what's going on, and the number is just a handful, small enough for the carrier to just ignore and don't affect the business.

Rogers has been especially lazy with their software support when it comes to wireless, and lazy is just putting it softly. To put it into perspective, Galaxy S6s have received Marshmallow 6.0.1update during April in other Canadian carriers (even smaller companies), whereas Rogers is yet to update its Galaxy S6, which is only a one year-old flagship device. Android N (7), is looming on the horizon while "Rogers "Galaxy S6 is still sitting on Lollipop (5).

If this number grows, and more and more consumers come to know what they are missing and that they aren't getting something they should be getting, this might change the situation and the carrier's behaviour. If this number becomes big enough and collective actions, such as not renewing the contracts and moving to the competitors, grow to be capable of influencing the business (aka money flow), company then might start to pay attention and just might take some actions to resolve the situation (ie. Hiring more to actually have a functional software devlopment team to support such process). Until then, carriers will just try to milk as much money as they can with minimal investment put back into improving the custmer experience.

So, I for one, am planning to pass up on Rogers once the contract is done, unless some improvements are seen. This is after being a loyal customer (aka throwing money at them) of 10+ years with variety of services.

For people who are reading this, know that more and more people need to complain about the situation to actually make it go noticed. Works just like politics.

Thank you for reading my rant.

Malek777
I plan to stick around
Rogers has been the worst out of the bunch but I can't say telus or Bell are much better either.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Malek777

Thats because Blackberry is working with the carriers to release the updates as soon as possible. Where Samsung and HTC and the other i don't see it. I can't just blame Rogers where once Rogers is done, the updates is given to Samsung and they release it. So if the manufacturer isn't putting any pressure to the carriers, then the carriers will take time.

Malek777
I plan to stick around
So you're telling me that samsung is working with every carrier in the world but the canadian ones lol hmm I don't know about that to me it sounds like an excuse.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Malek777

Thats what I was told.. Blackberry gets them out before as per their own contract with the carriers. So Samsung could have a different one.

Malek777
I plan to stick around
I guess we'll never know until someone from rogers or samsung explains how this works but I doubt that's gonna happen. Instead we ll have 2 parties throwing the blame at each other while the customer is left in the middle with no answers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Malek777

Thats how it will always be. No one will find out the truth but at the same time no company does say how it works.

Malek777
I plan to stick around
Lol that's true because there's no reason to explain anything. They actually push the updates.

RNEric
I plan to stick around
I have owned a few S7E (unlocked Canadian models and Rogers locked ones). Poor update speed as you have mentioned...I just received my US unlocked S7E (SM-G935U) from B&H Photo, hopefully the American model has speedier updates...
Topic Stats