Galaxy S6 WiFi Issues and Battery Drain on latest Android 7 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Galaxy S6 WiFi Issues and Battery Drain on latest Android 7 Update

I've been using Android 7 on my Galaxy S6 phone for a while now with no problems. The latest update to it from Rogers that I updated my phone (and my wife's phone as well) near the beginning of Dec (Kernel Version says Nov 3, 2017) has caused problems though. My wife and I have to restart our phones every couple of days now (we never had to before) as the Wifi will not be able to connect and/or something will drain the battery big time resulting in the phone to loose power in a couple of hours.

This is really annoying. Has anyone else experienced this? Both of our phones are having the same issue so others must be as well.

Any idea on how to fix this?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted

Re: Galaxy S6 WiFi Issues and Battery Drain on latest Android 7 Update

Good afternoon @JesterMagic and welcome to the Community!

The details you've provided definitely sound cumbersome. You shouldn't have to reboot your devices this frequently. I don't personally use an Android device so I can't relate and we haven't been notified of users experiencing anything similar.

I'll tag some of our Resident Experts for some insight @Meowmix @gp-se.

Any other S6 users experiencing something similar post update?

RogersZia

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JesterMagic wrote:

I've been using Android 7 on my Galaxy S6 phone for a while now with no problems. The latest update to it from Rogers that I updated my phone (and my wife's phone as well) near the beginning of Dec (Kernel Version says Nov 3, 2017) has caused problems though. My wife and I have to restart our phones every couple of days now (we never had to before) as the Wifi will not be able to connect and/or something will drain the battery big time resulting in the phone to loose power in a couple of hours.

This is really annoying. Has anyone else experienced this? Both of our phones are having the same issue so others must be as well.

Any idea on how to fix this?

@JesterMagic

I would suggest backing up the phone using Samsung Smart Switch then first try a network settings reset:

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings Settings icon > Backup and reset Backup and reset icon.
  2. Tap Reset network settings.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.

Try that first, if that still doesn't help, then I would perform a full factory reset/device wipe of the device. Run the phone for a few days without installing too much apps just too see if the issue comes back. It is possible an app doesn't like the latest update and is causing the drain.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'll give those suggestions a try. I didn't realize you could reset the network settings.

I don't think it's an app thing as we don't have a lot of apps installed and of the ones we do they differ on each phone.

One other thing is if I turn off the WIFI on my phone and then back on it can't reconnect either (it says connection error). I then have to restart my phone to then connect to WiFi. Leaving the house and then coming back it reconnects fine to the network (at least for a few days until it can't). This did not happen before the update.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My problems still happen after resetting of the Network settings. Next up to try is the system reset (which I really didn't want to have to do)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Okay I factory reset my phone on Friday and did not install any extra apps. Last night the battery was around 75%. I woke up this morning and battery was at 1%.

It drained itself again. I also had to disable and re-enable the wifi to get it to connect properly once when it said it was having authentication errors.

This did not happen before the last update. I assume I cannot downgrade the phone to the previous version? How do I fix this? The phone Was perfectly fine until the update.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @JesterMagic

At this point it's best to contact either Samsung Canada or Rogers and send it into repair if you still have warranty. They can examine the device and see what is truly happening. Could be a hardware issue or they just need to install a fresh copy of the OS AND run a test to see what's happening.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Sigh... Thanks for the reply Meowmix

It's an S6 so it's long past the warranty but it is still a perfectly good phone for my needs. With both my phone and my wife's having similar issues right after the latest update it can't be anything but the update causing the issues. I use to build PC's and develop software so I am not a complete newbie when it comes to phones.

Rogers should allow their customers to uninstall an upgrade if they are having issues. I don't see why I have to pay Rogers to fix something that is not my fault. I guess I will call them and see what they say but I don't have my hopes up.