Galaxy S5 - 5Ghz wifi connections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Galaxy S5 - 5Ghz wifi connections

Hi,

I picked up my new Galaxy S5 on Thursday and I'm having issues getting it to reliably connect to my 5GHz wifi network at home. It will initially connect but the connection will only last for upto an hour before it drops it. The time before the drop appears to be random. After it get dropped the phone will not connect to the network for 5-10 minutes. The phone works flawlessly when I use the same router in 2.4GHz mode. (Router = ASUS RT-66u)

I've tried Rogers tech support and got passed around 4 times before reaching someone saying that Rogers doesn't support 5Ghz wifi. Even though the device they sold me does. They were no help. I have changed the IP Settings from DCHP to static. No dice.

Is anyone else having issues with their S5 on a 5GHz network?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S5 - 5Ghz wifi connections

I don’t have an S5 but I’ve experienced similar issues with some other devices; play around with the 5ghz channels on your router; there might be overlaps from other networks or the handset has a "preferable" setup
I Plan to Stick Around

This worked for my Galaxy Note 3.

Dialpad, *#0011# . When you hit the last # a service mode screen automatically appears.

Hit the menu button, then pick Wifi.

On the next screen you'll see a bunch of settings printed, and one big button under "WIFI Power Save Mode". Tap that button to make it say "OFF". Back button your way out. Reboot the phone, then go back into *#0011# -> Wifi to verify that Wifi power save is still off (a bug in earlier Samsung versions defaults this to "on").
I'm a Reliable Contributor

There is an Advance menu in the Wifi settings.

In that menu there is "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep"

Set to always.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

This does not work as a solution for me. There seems to be a major problem with advanced wi-fi. There is no option to select DHCP or Static only proxy and hangs when in advanced settings. It never connects to 5Ghz on 2.4Ghz. I just traded up my Samsung S3 to S5. It worked seamless on 5Ghz. It is the same home network and no changes. My iPad connects to 5Ghz with no issues. I'm stumped I bet there has to be a software/firmware fix for wi-fi or just a bad wi-fi adapter. Any other ideas? Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

This worked for me on my router:

Change the Wireless Channel : Change it to the lowest Mhz rate in my case 36-5180Mhz. Wireless is cool buy it's not a perfect technology, as there are too many variables.

Jeff