Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

@TomGray wrote:

I too suffer from my phone becoming unresponsive to phone calls and not being able to call out. I was skeptical of your LTE findings and that being the issue, so I put it to the test. You are right... When my phone connects to LTE, my calling capabilities die, but im able to text and get data. It appears the LTE isn't dropping fast enough to 4G to place the call, that's how it looks to me as LTE drops to 4G as you place the call. Looks like the phone is trying to establish the connection, but not in time to keep the call from failing. I called Tech support, they reset my connection to the towers to see anything happens.

Also went through the standard troubleshooting procedure such as Factory reset phone, clean sim card, reset network blah blah blah.

I am experiencing "No Service" and "Emergency Calls Only" on my GS II LTE in places where I get 4-5 bars of signal strength on other phones.  If I turn the phone off and on, it will find the network again and work for a while before eventually losing signal again.  I had Rogers re-provision the network and it made no difference.  I also did a factory reset, and replaced the phone.  The new phone has the same issues.  When I was swapping the phone, the store rep. said another customer had returned their GS II the day before because of the same kind of reception issues.

I'm going to take a photo of an iPhone 4S, a BB 9900, a Nokia 97 mini, all with 4-5 bars of signal strength, sitting beside my GS II LTE with "No Service".

Oh, but when I am connected to LTE I can still make/receive phone calls no problem... 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Well I had asked the question as to if anyone had the LTE icon even displayed on the phone. It does not show up on mine?? Mind you I asked this on the sg2 forum.

Just to confirm....LTE icon does appear on your phones?
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes it does. (If you've set your network mode to GSM/HSPA/LTE from the settings)

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@lubiya wrote:

Yes it does. (If you've set your network mode to GSM/HSPA/LTE from the settings)

Uhm....I double checked my settings, and it is set to Auto....and where I have been using the phone, I have seen it range from "page can't be displayed...check your connection" up to 4G...and that's it.

I also use the HSPA+ Rocket stick...and this morning around 6ish...There was ZERO connection on the phone, but the Rocketstick on my laptop was connected at HSPA+.....and this was right beside the phone??  I ended up turning of the phone & back on to finaly get a connection...the phone however was still able to complete a call.

This is sort of the inverse of my Motorola V9x, that would show 4 bars...but the rocket stick was either at Edge or no connection.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm also noticing problems with my gs2, both while making and receiving calls on LTE.

Similar to a previous poster, I can see the phone switching between LTE and 4G just before a call is completed, and then it self-cancels.

I first noticed the problem a day after getting the phone. I ended up powering it off completely and then rebooting. That did the trick. But late last night (Thursday), the problem resurfaced and no amount of powering down and rebooting seemed to solve it.

It's too bad, because the internet speeds oand the general workings of android are really great (I had an iPhone for awhile and wanted to try something new).

Gonna try tech support tomorrow (Friday) and see what happens.

Hope this thing gets figured out.

Best of luck to us all:)

I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortuantely tech support is useless. The only thing that they confirm is that at this point LTE only handles data and not voice, so it is normal that the phone switches to 4G before receiving a call.

But the problem is that the phone(or Rogers network) cannot switch the connection all the time, so the call cannot be received.

What tech support suggested to me was to turn off LTE and just use HSPA !!!!!!

Then what is the point of having LTE phone and LTE network(and paying for it) and not being able to use it!

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the headsup lubiya.
Hadn't gotten around to calling tech support today because of work, but I'm betting your reply just saved me 45 minutes of being on hold.
I Plan to Stick Around

You're welcome.
Please let me know if you could get more info from tech support.
I'm Here A Lot

Anyone still having problems with making or recieving calls downtown?  My phone has been cutting in and out of service in any mode, anyone else?

I've Been Around

Im also having issues with signal constantly going from full bars to no signal with my galaxy s2 lte.

My first phone would almost never receive calls and i exchanged it and the new one i seem to receive most calls but the data portion keeps dropping to the point where I wonder why i even pay for data when its so unstable.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats