Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

I am currently at work (Near Gloucester Center) and received a call from Rogers informing me that the problem should be solved now (9:30am). But my phone did not ring either.

I will reserve judgement till I go home and check things out in Kanata.
I Plan to Stick Around

Turn off and back on your phone before testing.

Just got a follow up call from Rogers... apologize for the capitals in advance, but it will give you an idea how I feel after this follow up call...

PLEASE OPEN INDIVIDIUAL TICKETS AND BE PERSISTENT. FOR SOME REASON ROGERS IS NOT WILLING TO INVESTIGATE THIS MONTH OLD ISSUE AS A NETWORK WIDE PROBLEM, THEY GO ONE BY ONE, BY REPORTED INDIVIDUAL LOCATIONS ONLY. BE AS SPECIFIC AS YOU CAN WHEN IDENTIFYING THE AREA AFFECTED BY THIS PROBLEM.

I asked her what am I supposed to do when driving on 417 and 416, should I open a ticket for each km? This approach doesn't make sense at all.

...it still works here... (Kanata North Technology Centre)

I Plan to Stick Around

If there's any change since yesterday, it's that my phone (at this location) wants to keep changing the "Network mode" to GSM/HSPA (Auto).   Yesterday it would stay connected to LTE (but with "No service" or "Emergency calls only"

I share with you my recent test:

Location Gatineau (Place du Portage Phase III Tower A)

12:34 PM    Power off phone
12:40 PM    Power on phone
- (GSM/HSPA/LTE enabled at power-on, battery at 100%, WLAN off, Bluetooth on)
- Phone shows "Emergency calls only" on standby screen during start-up
12:42 PM    Phone shows 4G (4 bars), "Rogers"
- Network mode shows "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)"
12:43 PM    I change Network mode (back) to "GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode)"
- Phone shows active LTE connection (2-3 bars) and "Emergency calls only"
12:46 PM    Phone shows 5 bars LTE and "No service"
- Run Speedtest.net - 23.27 Mbps down, 8.3Mbps up
- Phone shows 2 bars LTE and "Emergency calls only"
12:47 PM    Phone shows 4 bars 4G and "Rogers"
- Network mode has changed back to "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)"
- Speedtest.net reports 1.41Mbps down, 1.01Mbps up)
12:53 PM    Phone still shows 4 bars 4G and "Rogers"
- call phone from land line
- phone rings
- call voicemail from phone.... call completes
12:55 PM    Change phone back to "GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode)
- phone shows LTE 2 bars and Emergency calls only
- call from land-line - call goes to voicemail
12:57 PM    now shows 5 bars LTE and "No service"
- speedtest gives 4.63Mbps down and 8.95Mbps up
- phone shows 2 bars LTE and second speedtest yields 5.86Mbps down and 7.53Mbps up
1:00 PM phone has dropped to 4G (3 bars) and shows "Rogers"
- "Network mode" has once again changed itself back to "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)

You can see that I get decent signal strength for both LTE, and GSM at this location.... but the phone won't make or receive calls when on LTE, and is reluctant to stay connected on LTE (I'm starting to feel the same.)

I Plan to Stick Around

@databubble wrote:

If there's any change since yesterday, it's that my phone (at this location) wants to keep changing the "Network mode" to GSM/HSPA (Auto).   Yesterday it would stay connected to LTE (but with "No service" or "Emergency calls only"

I share with you my recent test:

Location Gatineau (Place du Portage Phase III Tower A)

12:34 PM    Power off phone
12:40 PM    Power on phone
- (GSM/HSPA/LTE enabled at power-on, battery at 100%, WLAN off, Bluetooth on)
- Phone shows "Emergency calls only" on standby screen during start-up
12:42 PM    Phone shows 4G (4 bars), "Rogers"
- Network mode shows "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)"
12:43 PM    I change Network mode (back) to "GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode)"
- Phone shows active LTE connection (2-3 bars) and "Emergency calls only"
12:46 PM    Phone shows 5 bars LTE and "No service"
- Run Speedtest.net - 23.27 Mbps down, 8.3Mbps up
- Phone shows 2 bars LTE and "Emergency calls only"
12:47 PM    Phone shows 4 bars 4G and "Rogers"
- Network mode has changed back to "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)"
- Speedtest.net reports 1.41Mbps down, 1.01Mbps up)
12:53 PM    Phone still shows 4 bars 4G and "Rogers"
- call phone from land line
- phone rings
- call voicemail from phone.... call completes
12:55 PM    Change phone back to "GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode)
- phone shows LTE 2 bars and Emergency calls only
- call from land-line - call goes to voicemail
12:57 PM    now shows 5 bars LTE and "No service"
- speedtest gives 4.63Mbps down and 8.95Mbps up
- phone shows 2 bars LTE and second speedtest yields 5.86Mbps down and 7.53Mbps up
1:00 PM phone has dropped to 4G (3 bars) and shows "Rogers"
- "Network mode" has once again changed itself back to "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)

You can see that I get decent signal strength for both LTE, and GSM at this location.... but the phone won't make or receive calls when on LTE, and is reluctant to stay connected on LTE (I'm starting to feel the same.)

@databubble: And I believe you have opened a ticket, and they are fully aware of the specific location (Place du Portage Phase III Tower A). If not, please:

1.) Call Tech Support again and add this info to your ticket, and

2.) Ask Tech Support to escalate it and advise local Field tech to confirm and further investigate it.

At one point someone at Rogers will hopefully notice the commonalities of the symptoms of the already resolved tickets and the pending/new ones, puts the pieces together and orders a LTE network wide investigation to filter out the potentially affected towers, and apply the already known and working fix.

...my SG2LTE still works fine...

I Plan to Stick Around

@OMF wrote:

@databubble: And I believe you have opened a ticket, and they are fully aware of the specific location (Place du Portage Phase III Tower A). If not, please:

1.) Call Tech Support again and add this info to your ticket, and

2.) Ask Tech Support to escalate it and advise local Field tech to confirm and further investigate it.

@OMF,

Yes, I have a ticket.  No, I haven't reported this location.  It's just one of over a dozen locations right across Ottawa that I've been to repetively (and with different GS2LTE's) and I know the behaviour is consistent and GSM signal strength is strong.  The main location Rogers is investigating is my home, in Stittsville, which is in an LTE coverage area and has strong GSM/HSPA signal.  It's easy for me to replicate there - and test multiple other (non-LTE) Rogers phones.

Do you know off-hand how I can e-mail supporting information about a ticket to Rogers?  I'll ask them about it when I next talk to them about the ticket.

Anyway, I'm interested (and a little skeptical)  that your phone now seems to be behaving in your current location.  It'll be interesting to see what results we both get this evening, when we change locations. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Update: my phone just suddenly switched itself from network mode "GSM/HSPA (auto model)" to "GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto mode)" and connected to LTE all on it's own (after refusing to use LTE all day.)

For the first time at this location (Gatineau Place du Portage Phase III) the phone shows the a connection to the Rogers network rather than "No service" or "Emergency calls only" while using LTE.

Further, I was able to make and receive calls while connected to LTE...albeit, the phone switches to "4G" while in-call, and takes up to a minute-or-so to reconnect to LTE after the call has terminated, but it works!

LTE shows 2-bars of signal strength, and my latest Speedtest shows 27.68Mbs down and 9.29 Mbps up... which isn't bad!

Isn't that interesting?  Maybe Rogers has fixed things in Ottawa after all?  Will know more tonight, after my commute home.

I Plan to Stick Around

@databubble wrote:

... the phone switches to "4G" while in-call, and takes up to a minute-or-so to reconnect to LTE after the call has terminated, but it works!...

Glad to hear that! It is by design that the phone switches back to 4G from LTE while in call.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My evening Ottawa commute home was impressive... only at one location did I get "Emergency calls only\" (Ottawa River Parkway at the War Museum), but I'll need to check tomorrow how strong the normal GSM signal is there.  Normally, much of my drive would have been "No Service" or ECO...  but the phone was happily switching between LTE/4G/EDGE... most of the time on LTE.

So, I arrive home thinking my troubles were over...  I was showing 2 bars of LTE as I pulled into my garage.

Unfortunately, not long after my phone was showing "Emergency calls only" again.  I switch to GSM-only, and immediatly the signal strength went to 4 bars and it locked onto the Rogers network.

No change there, then.

So, called Rogers to let them know not to close my ticket.... and I was told "it's a known issue with that phone, and there will be an update to the phone software from Samsung."   News to me.  First I've heard it acknowledged that there was an issue with the phone software (which I suspected).  No ETA on the update, but I was told that I could call Samsung if I wished on 800-726-7864 and they were aware of patch and might be able to tell me more.

So, it looks like Rogers has been able to compensate somewhat with network changes, but the ultimate fix has to come from Samsung.

Supposedly, we'll get a text message (?really?  surely just an update message on the phone?) when the update is available.

I Plan to Stick Around

back to square one on March Road...Smiley Sad on my way home my phone locked up most of the time to Emergency Calls only, and could not recover from it without power cycling.

I've Been Around

I had this problem for 2 weeks and after about 20 hours I finally figured it out with a higher level support person. 

They have multiple LTE servers in each city..one can be up...and providing good service to many people.  But if one is down..they may not detect it and if you are served by this server..you get patchy or no LTE service. 

This was the case until they fixed vancouver's 2nd server (becaue of my case) and I have been perfect ever since.

Another reason is that all phone calls are in 4G as there is no VOICE LTE yet.  So when you use voice..your phone should fall back to 4G..if it doesn't automatically you could have a phone issue..but I can almost guarantee is is a backup LTE network server issue.   You have to tell rogers minions this before you get to a high enough escalation where someone can fix it.

Now on PPV