Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

A whole group of tech folks have been tesing my problem tonight... They are fully aware of the issue and working hard to fix it. Due to the location specific nature of this problem, you may need to tell the tech rep where do you have working LTE connection, and where do you lose it. In my case, I have a perfect LTE connection in front of the Home Hardware at 329 March Road in Kanata, ON. A few hundred meters west on March road I lose LTE connection and my SG2LTE goes either in Emergency only or No service mode in each and every network setting, except GPS only mode, in which I can use it as a phone.
Outside the LTE coverage area (further west on March road in Mississippi Mills, I am getting the Emergency only and No service, unless the phone is in GPS only network mode.

Again, please provide location specific details to tech support so they can narrow down the problem areas and perhaps fix this really annoying problem easier.
I Plan to Stick Around

@OMF wrote:
A whole group of tech folks have been tesing my problem tonight... They are fully aware of the issue and working hard to fix it. Due to the location specific nature of this problem, you may need to tell the tech rep where do you have working LTE connection, and where do you lose it.[...]

Great news that they're taking it seriously and working on it.

I can name a dozen locations across Ottawa where I know there is a strong Rogers GSM signal, but the SGSII LTE will drop to "No Service" or "Emergency Calls Only."  Inside Costco in Kanata, for example.  I found it impossible to make a call anywhere inside the store without selecting GSM-only.   My house.  Place-du-Portage IV.  The entire length of the 417 West of Pinecrest to the top of the hill going into Kanata.   417/Bronson.  417/Vanier Parkway.   Canadian Tire Ogivie Road.  Sobeys Kanata.  Hazeldean/Iber Road.   Stittsville Main Street just ouside the Rogers Video Store (but not in the store...figure that one.)   There was no change last night in any of the known areas I passed through.

As I understand it, LTE is a separate network used only for data (at this stage.)   The phone does not "switch" between LTE and GSM for voice... it uses GSM for voice and can carry on using LTE or HSPA or EDGE for data while in call.

We of course don't expect to get LTE everywhere we have a Rogers GSM signal....  but we expect to be able to make calls where there is a strong Rogers GSM signal, whether or not LTE is available.  I don't think this is a network issue for two reasons:

1)  the HTC Raider doesn't seem to have the same issues

2) if I'm on a voice call, I've noticed that I can hold the voice call even in areas where I know the phone will drop to "No Service" if I don't have a call in progress.  

That tells me that it's not a signal strength (or signal "hopping") issue, it's a phone-getting-confused and behaving incorrectly issue. (Note, it could still be a netork issue related to cell hand-off... 

Only, I think the phone gets confused in specific locations, depending on the relative signal strengths of GSM/HSPA vs. LTE, (possibly from multiple Rogers base-stations.)   So to figure out WHY the device gets confused, Rogers probably does need specific readings from locations where it goes screwy.

I'm still willing to bet the solution will require a change to the phone software.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just today, between 2:00-2:10, I went from 4G @ 4 Bars to nothing and then to Edge with 4 BARS and finally to 4G..

At 5:20 until 6:08 It was stuck at Edge. I powered off and on...removed the battery etc.?????
I Plan to Stick Around

No improvement here either.Smiley Sad While on LTE at work, "Emergency Calls Only" or "No Service". I have to select "GSM only" to be able to make and receive calls. I don't think anybody will be working on this until Monday.

I've Been Here Awhile

First, thanks to OMF, databubble and the other folks sharing the info, trying to figure this out and bringing to the attention of Rogers.

Short version:  I'm also experiencing that I need to use GSM only on the west side of Ottawa. 

Longer version.

I also experienced "no mobile network" as soon as I got near Kanata (west of Ottawa for other folks).  I drove down toward Carp and eventually Constance Bay and good not make a call.  When I got to Constance Bay I tried HSPA-GSM but that did not work.  So I tried GSM only and that worked.

So I called tech support and was explaining this to the first support person but the call got dropped.  I called back and the guy was not aware of an issue.   He said that if it was a widely known issue they would know about it.   I told him I suspected it was a phone s/w problem and would check the forums.  And lo and behold, here is the thread!

So I think I'll call them back and tell them to look at this thread and update the notes on my file.  

I'm not going to mess around with dong a software reload/reset etc. as they suggested. 

I don't remember ... has anyone tried an non-LTE sim card and HSPA-GSM mode as a workaround?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey rogpstang9. I too have been experiencing related problems on LTE. I'm in the Vancouver area and initially, most of downtown was a problem for my phone, being able to properly switch from LTE to the cellular network. I'm still experiencing dead areas (not sure if that is the correct term), but now it's sporadic (sometimes those areas are fine, sometimes not).

Was talking yesterday with the original customer sales rep who sold me the phone back in early November and he had recommended exactly what you had suggested at the end of your post: non-LTE SIM card and/or use GSM when I notice dropped calls. I opted to pass on the non-LTE SIM.

Was it tech support who mentioned these workarounds to you?

I've Been Here Awhile

Update: I phoned Rogers and told them to update the info on my file with this thread. They also opened a ticket. So hopefully that will expedited things a bit.
I've Been Here Awhile

@imachubchub
I figured out the GSM-only workaround myself because I had heard or read mention of an issue when the phone went to non-LTE mode/network.

It was the support tech that suggested non-LTE SIM.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re. non-LTE sim card: I used it for about 3 weeks with no LTE plan and without any problems. The "Emergency calls only" and "No service" phenomenon started when I swapped my sim card, and updated my plan to LTE. Again, my LTE sim card works fine at certain locations in Kanata.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks OMF.
Now on PPV