cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 9 Battery Issues After Software Update?

cafekief
I'm an enthusiast

I noticed today my battery only lasted 1.5 days, used to be 2.5 days... Rogers released a security update yesterday and it's no good.

**Labels Added**

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Galaxy Note 9 Battery Issues After Software Update?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @cafekief

Rogers although released the update, Samsung is responsible for any battery issues as this is a security update brought by Samsung. Rogers just released it.

Have you contacted Samsung Canada regarding this?

ejafus
I've been here awhile
Although this happened just after the update...and I got it too for my s7 edge.. I don't think this is due to the update as my father who has a blackberry is also having a huge battery issue that started at the same time as ours and he has not received an update.

Some notes:
- my batt today is at most giving me half of what I was able to get out of it just 4 days ago
- my father claims he's never had a battery issue before this week

I would suggest that they have done something to their network that is forcing more constant communication between the towers/network and our phones/devices. I'm curious how many others are having this issue? And if all phones are affected?

cafekief
I'm an enthusiast
For sure. Im noticing this while am on bus in a 25 min or so time lapse I went from 100% to 89% usually I noticed back like a week ago it would still be like 96-97% of battery left. Is this everywhere? I usually travel from middle of surrey, BC to south surrey

Hello @cafekief,

Ensuring you have enough battery life to last the day is important so I can imagine how frustrating it is to be dealing with this battery drain, all of a sudden.

We are not aware of any issues specific to the Note 9. Sometimes existing applications on the phone may not be performing properly with the new software and need to be updated/reinstalled. There should also be a battery monitor in Settings > Battery > Battery Usage that should display high usage apps.

Once you've determined if there is a specific App causing the drain you can take action.

Let the Community know how things go! 😃

RogersTony

@RogersTony  having the issue again! for the like almost month, I barely get a full=day out of the battery! Only have like 10-12 stable apps on my phone E.g. Instagram/spotify/messager/Whatsapp/youtube/myRogers....

i see Android pie (9.0) is coming Feb 11th next Monday will this speed/fixup things on the phone?

Hello @cafekief

It's disappointing that you've been experiencing these issues for almost a month already. =(

I use a Note 9 and often get almost 2.5 days on a full charge. I do tend to keep mid-power saver mode on with the brightness low to conserve power, so my usage may not be the same as yours.

You can find the changelogs for Android Pie by clicking here. There is a section specifically related to the Adaptive Battery feature that may relate specifically to the issues you've been experiencing. It looks like it will improve on Battery life! While it is based on each person's usage habits it seems promising you will notice an improvement with Android Pie.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Samsung galaxy note 9 battery drain

From being u plug for two hrs my phone went from 100% to In between 50-60% battery left. Is there an update coming our way in next couple of weeks to fix this issue and maybe speed up performance too? OR It's it the Cappy LTE+ OUT IN HERE IN #MERTOVANCOUVER?

Hello @cafekief,

Just based on the posts above, it does seem like a handful of people are experiencing the same battery issues as you. Have you had a chance to review the Adaptive Battery feature as mentioned by RogersTony here?

If you haven't experienced these same issues prior to the update, I wouldn't think they're related to the network in your location.

RogersZia

cafekief
I'm an enthusiast

Just got the October security update with RCS and now my battery went from 100% @9am to now lunch time at 12:30pm three hrs to 30% come on Rogers.. Need a phone lst longer then a half day... And wheres RCS does it only wrk with android.. What the point then.. Can't wrk with iPhones...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @cafekief

As you know, Rogers isn't responsible for the software that Google built and Samsung sends out. They only add their bloatware on it.

Maybe it's best to contact Samsung Canada and speak to them about it. I know some have had issues like this and it was the software that caused this.

You could try and do a factory reset
That could help out as well. Try that and see.

Hello, @cafekief

Ensuring you have enough battery life is really important so you can ensure you always stay connected. 

We have not received any details about a known issue but we have seen reports that highlight McAfee as a source of high battery usage. Can you confirm if there are any issues after a factory reset of your device, and before anything is restored/reinstalled on the device?

Have any other users in the Community experienced issues with battery drain after the October security update? 

RogersTony

I have note 9 thu rogers and it sucks the battery down from 50 plus percent to down to 2% within 1.5hrs, they did an improvement on singal but I think my moms place(rancher) is made out of metal... It never gets LTE+ (the plus network speeds...) so my mom has s8 and the same problem but at the end of day she has 75% battery or more... So I don't know why my phone drainage is fast..??

Afternoon @cafekief,

Are you on the latest OS? Have you noticed a change in battery life post the update?

Any other Note 9 users in the Community experiencing anything similar?

RogersZia

Really bad battery drain after June security update.... It's was a big update too 950mb or more, why so bad now?? I live in Surrey, BC and travel all over.... For wrk, it's very bad battery drain

Hello  cafekief,

Thank you for posting your concern, we know how important it is to stay connected at all times and we’d love to look into the situation with you.

We haven’t received any complaints so far after the update. Do you notice any particular app draining the battery?

Anybody else in the Community having a similar issue?

Awaiting your reply.

RogersRob

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @cafekief

Have you tried to do a back up and then a factory reset? Sometimes the software can cause a glitch which the internal apps or system could be using more battery then it should.

SBRECH
I've been around

If I do a backup and reset, won't I have the ssame problem when I reload everything again? Sorry, not really that smart when it comes to phones. My battery is awful. I only use my phone for texting, talking (not  much) and reading and writing emails. 

Thanks

Hello, @SBRECH

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thanks so much for posting your concerns. A factory reset can resolve many software related issues and is a troubleshooting step that we sometimes recommend.

There are a few things you can check before doing a factory reset. Your operating system should be able to tell you what application is draining the battery. Please go into the Settings on your device, scroll down to Device care, tap on Battery, then tap on Battery usage.

You should find information here that will help you determine what is causing the battery drain and when it is occurring as well as when it is occurring.

Let the community know if you are able to find the root of the battery drain.

RogersTony

Display cutt out time... Set to 2 mins ago from 30secs an week ago... And it resets back to 30secs.... Also bit of a battery drain... Need a good fix... More than like 150mbs

@RogersTony
Where's my October security update?? Was so post to get it Nov 3rd still haven't got it.... It's now the end of November.. Come on Rogers it's now 2020....almost 2021... Same with supporting galaxy watch 46 LTE.... It's never going to happen.....
Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 in conversation