cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS giving the wrong location

Keroberous
I plan to stick around

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, but my phone (Pixel) GPS is constantly switching between my actual home location and a location in downtown Toronto. Sometimes it shows my correct location, and sometimes it shows the incorrect location. The incorrect location is always the same. It only seems to occur when I'm at home, but it happens whether I am connected to my home wifi or the data network. I've searched around for some solutions and have confirmed that my location settings are set to high accuracy. I've cleared the cache for Google Maps, but the issue is affecting all of my apps requiring GPS like Waze and weather. I've booted in Safe Mode and still had the same issue. I have not found any other solutions online to try so I'm wondering if this has been something others have dealt with and maybe someone might have a fix. Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: GPS giving the wrong location

Hello @Keroberous,

To determine if there is a problem with how your location is being pinpointed, I would recommend you to test it by turning on<< Device Only>> option. You can find that under Settings > Location > Mode > Device Only; I suggest you try this outside  and then see if your location is being picked up on the Map. 

If the above option doesn't work then I would suggest a factory reset. I know it's not the ideal option but your original post shows you've already tried several different troubleshooting steps.

Any other Pixel users in the Community experiencing this issue?

RogersZia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Keroberous wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, but my phone (Pixel) GPS is constantly switching between my actual home location and a location in downtown Toronto. Sometimes it shows my correct location, and sometimes it shows the incorrect location. The incorrect location is always the same. It only seems to occur when I'm at home, but it happens whether I am connected to my home wifi or the data network. I've searched around for some solutions and have confirmed that my location settings are set to high accuracy. I've cleared the cache for Google Maps, but the issue is affecting all of my apps requiring GPS like Waze and weather. I've booted in Safe Mode and still had the same issue. I have not found any other solutions online to try so I'm wondering if this has been something others have dealt with and maybe someone might have a fix. Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

@Keroberous

Is your home location and the downtown location close to each other?

It could be your Google settings/account has that downtown location as your home location. You could try removing your google account from your phone and see if the problem persists. 

Keroberous
I plan to stick around
No. The difference in locations is over 100 km.

Hello @Keroberous,

To determine if there is a problem with how your location is being pinpointed, I would recommend you to test it by turning on<< Device Only>> option. You can find that under Settings > Location > Mode > Device Only; I suggest you try this outside  and then see if your location is being picked up on the Map. 

If the above option doesn't work then I would suggest a factory reset. I know it's not the ideal option but your original post shows you've already tried several different troubleshooting steps.

Any other Pixel users in the Community experiencing this issue?

RogersZia

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation