cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G5 vs S7 Edge

GeekHistorian
I've been here awhile

Hello everyone. I was hoping i could get some opinions on what happened to me the other day.
I went into a Rogers store to upgrade my phone. I went in with my heart set to get an s7 edge. Then the guy started saying he doesn't recommend it and that the G5 is a better phone in every aspect and that Samsung is starting to fail when it comes to phones now. Then i said my biggest thing is i want better battery life. He said the G5 is better for battery life. So. Without even thinking about it, I trusted him. Now everything im looking at. The S7 edge has quite a bit more battery life. Ive already set up the G5 and am pretty content with it. But the battery life isnt fantastic and I'm not sure if I'd be happier with the S7 edge. Cause I can go in and switch phones. But I don't want to cause much of a hassle and I've already bought a screen protector and case for 50$ at rogers at the same time. Which i don't think I can return. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some opinions on this situation.
Thank you.

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: G5 vs S7 Edge

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @GeekHistorian

In my own opinion I would go with the S7. Why? I will list below.

1). Exynos chipset actually Is better and the battery doesn't drain vs the snapdragon one the G5 has.
2). Even though the G5 has a module battery and can be replaced, it's a small battery then the S7 edge.
3). The G5 on battery isn't as good as the rep seems to think. Reviews with many will tell u this.
4) The S7 edge is water resistant a device gives u the micro SD card option.
5) curved screen. Many might find it a" gimmick" but it's actually used in ways.
6) LG had a track of bad history of updates and issues. Look at them and u will see.

I would highly suggest and recommend returning it back and getting the S7 edge. Believe me get the S7 edge or even wait until the S8 comes out.

If u return the device, they can return the accessories for u within the 15 days return period.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @GeekHistorian

In my own opinion I would go with the S7. Why? I will list below.

1). Exynos chipset actually Is better and the battery doesn't drain vs the snapdragon one the G5 has.
2). Even though the G5 has a module battery and can be replaced, it's a small battery then the S7 edge.
3). The G5 on battery isn't as good as the rep seems to think. Reviews with many will tell u this.
4) The S7 edge is water resistant a device gives u the micro SD card option.
5) curved screen. Many might find it a" gimmick" but it's actually used in ways.
6) LG had a track of bad history of updates and issues. Look at them and u will see.

I would highly suggest and recommend returning it back and getting the S7 edge. Believe me get the S7 edge or even wait until the S8 comes out.

If u return the device, they can return the accessories for u within the 15 days return period.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I would return the phone, if you care for battery life then best phone would be the Google Pixel. But Rogers wireless return policy is over 30mins of airtime cannot be returned.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

I would beg to differ on that. The Pixel is pure Android yes but the battery life is still the same. Again every use is different though.

@GeekHistorian

That is correct. You must be within the 30 minute return policy to bring back the device. Calling Rogers does not use the 30 minute policy. Only if u are calling other numbers. U also must be within the 15 day rule too.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I said the Google Pixel because the Samsung Exynos/Shannon Modem has issues with Rogers Network. There are a lot of Samsung S7 / S7 EDGE users, and me personally that have had issues with Exynos/Shannon on Rogers. 

Devices that use Qualcomm don't suffer from this issue, which is why I recommended the Pixel, and it's also better than the G5. Or if he can wait then get the Galaxy S8, it's going to use a Qualcomm Modem in North America.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

Oh i agree but at the same time That is true but the issues aren't regarding the battery. If u read reviews from thousands they will tell u once the new software comes out, the battery will fix it self as long as u take care of it. They are mostly either due to updates or a app that's not working ( with Nougat mostly everything got fixed). My coworker has the S7 edge and had issues prior to the update.
Also do remember the G5 isn't as great as it seems. Only the US got more modules ( only 5 came out as LG stopped supporting the module system) and here in Canada we only got the battery module. That's all. It seems also LG track history with the updates and painful problems of boot loads are happening even with the G5 ( i currently have the G4 and G5 and see what many have incournerded).

All in all the best thing to do for @GeekHistorian would be to go check out the devices in store and play with them. That way they know forsure which one they want!. :). The reps and us can give any opinion but it's up to them which one to go for. Although I do notice that some reps are getting customers to not go with Samsung or some others and tend to tell customers the iPhone or LG are good yet have no experience with them. (some reps).

GeekHistorian
I've been here awhile
Hey everyone. Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it! I went in today and swapped out phones. I have to wait for the edge to come a in though. Which is fine. When I mentioned the battery again, he said it had worse standby time but better usage time for the battery. I still swapped the phone and he said nothing about it after that. He was very pushy about the G5 and said that all of them in the store use a G5. I wonder if they get some sort of bonus for selling them. Considering it seems he was telling me false information. But. It's all done now and I'll be getting a new phone shortly. Thanks again for the replies guys!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @GeekHistorian

Some reps are pushy for u to get the device THEY want and not what YOU want. Some reps are fair and give u accurate information where others do not. They did this with my girlfriend as well. She wanted a Sony Xperia device and the rep pushed her to the iPhone 7. Unfortunately she stuck with it because she went over the minutes but is getting rid of it for another phone due to her not wanting it and not liking it ( the rep gave her a free case and screen protector to go with the iPhone).

Also no. The reps do NOT get anything for free or bonus for selling u the device they want. They do get commission for activation or upgrading a line. That's normal but no bonus.

I am glad u got the device YOU wanted and I hope u enjoy it! U will love it with the new update as well :).

Enjoy!
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 in conversation