cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do non-Rogers unlocked phones that Rogers also carries get OTA updates from Rogers?

tripleacontent
I've been here awhile

I used to be a Fido subscriber with an LG G3, and then I switched to Rogers (I unlocked my phone first). When the Android 6.0 update was released, I received it on my G3 while on the Rogers network.

Currently I have an unlocked LG G5, and according to the upgrade schedule, the OTA for Android 7.0 starts December 21st. I have the APN and network settings configured on Rogers and when I factory reset I get the MyRogers app by default even though its not a device I got from Rogers. Since this time the device is not from Rogers (nor its subsidiary Fido), would I still get the update pushed to my device?

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do non-Rogers unlocked phones that Rogers also carries get OTA updates from Rogers?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @tripleacontent

I do believe so. As long as the APN settings are the ones from Rogers and it's connected to Rogers u will get them.. Unfortunately the update will be released in 2 days so we will see when it comes out.

Do remember not everyone at once will get the update. The update is issued in stages.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Do non-Rogers unlocked phones that Rogers also carries get OTA updates from Rogers?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @tripleacontent

I do believe so. As long as the APN settings are the ones from Rogers and it's connected to Rogers u will get them.. Unfortunately the update will be released in 2 days so we will see when it comes out.

Do remember not everyone at once will get the update. The update is issued in stages.

tripleacontent
I've been here awhile
Okay, I'll update this thread if and when I receive the update. Thanks.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @tripleacontent

You are welcome! 🙂

I got the 7.0 Nougat update on an unlocked Koodo LG G5 today!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @tripleacontent

Glad to hear! Enjoy 🙂

Ngocphi
I plan to stick around

Hi i have a rogers moto z droid phone

I know the nougat update is out for it since Monday but I unlocked it and have it on fido with the Rogers apn settings

Can I still get the update or do I have to get a prepaid sim to queue it?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Ngocphi

Let me get this correct. You unlocked this phone, have a Fido Sim card and have the Rogers APN settings?

No it won't work. You need to wait until Fido releases the update. Also of Fido does not carry this device and or the update yet, u need to get. Rogers wireless account and wait until they send out the update.

Ngocphi
I plan to stick around
Ok so even a prepaid sim from Rogers will work?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Ngocphi

It might and u need to get one with data. Best to do it call in and ask that.

Ngocphi
I plan to stick around
Ty imncalling now worst care I can do a smart plan and use my wifi forthright updste

Ngocphi
I plan to stick around
Update
Rogers tech support said yes a prepaid sim and number from Rogers with Rogers apn should queue the update 🙂

Ngocphi
I plan to stick around
Hey Im now using an Rogers prepaid sim and using ltemobile.apn which is Rogers apn it's still not queueing the update
Is it still possible they are still doing it in batches?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Ngocphi

Please be advised you won't get the update immediately. It may take time as its released in stages.

Ngocphi
I plan to stick around
Funny thing is my LG g5 has the nougat update just now and it was only released yesterday vs Monday for the moto z
Problem is this phone is being warrantied as soon as I can troubleshoot it which is why I had my moto z because it was taking forever and I could be without a phone that won't overheat (warranty issue and it is rogers and I don't even have an sim in it since it's being warrantied
Weird must be more moto z customers then LG g5
And I'm still waiting on the moto z update sigh

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Ngocphi

Hmm i wonder if the server hasn't checked the device yet. It does take time i know that.
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 in conversation