Data Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Data Plan

Hi,

I recently got a HTC Wildfire after my non-smart Sony Erisson phone died. Originally my voice plan carried web access thru the Rogers browser, and the new HTC Wildfire works fine for voice, text, WIFI but couldn't access the internet w/o WIFI. So I called and spent the extra dough to get switch to a data plan from my old voice plan. The agent mentioned it'll work latest by yesterday but I still can't access the internet unless thru WIFI. Do I have to change my SIM card, or get it somehow "unlocked"? Everyday I'm paying for a data plan that I can't use and this is extremely frustrating.  

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersJonathan
Retired Moderator

Re: Data Plan

Hello titusthegreat,

Welcome to th Rogers community,

The HTC wildfire is a non Rogers device. The HTC wildfire appear to be an Android device.

In order to access the internet on your device and be able to send MMS(Multimedia Messaging Service).

You must create 2 APN(Access Point Names) on the device.

Depending on the operating system you are running on the HTC; you must locate the APN setting. Let's assume you are running firmware 2.1:

You must click the MENU key > Settings> Wireless & networks > Mobile networks> Access Point Names>

Remove any existing APN configurations that aren’t related to your carrier. Then add the following two new ones.(Click the menu key then select Add apn)

For Internet Access/Texting

Name:Rogers
APN:internet.com
Username: wapuser1
Password: wap
MCC: 302 (should already be filled in)
MNC: either 720 or 72 depending on your SIM card (should already be filled in)

Leave all other settings blank.

For Media Messaging (Picture/Video)

Name: Rogers MMS
APN: media.com
Username :media
Password: mda01
Server: 172.25.0.107
MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS Proxy : 10.128.1.69
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302 (should already be filled in)
MNC: either 720 or 72 depending on your SIM card (should already be filled in)
APN Type : mms

Leave all other settings blank.

I hope this helps,

I Plan to Stick Around

Can I use those settings on my unlocked ATT Samsung Captivate?  I understand that this phone is a different model than the Rogers Captivate, but with my new SIM card, I had a single Internet and MMS access point in the settings.  Since my speeds were really slow and I had the access points entered as you described before putting in the new SIM, I changed back to what you put in your answer to the OP.  Hope this won't cause problems...  Seems to be slightly quicker than with the AP that was created when the SIM was activated.

I've Been Around

Those are the basic settings for any phone with a Roges SIM card.

Any phone that will accept a Rogers SIM (Unlocked phone)  those are the connection settings you need.

Make sure when using vpn.com or internet.com  you have a Data Plan on your account.

Kevin

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks! I think it works.

Do I have to switch APN and back everytime I send a picture message?

Btw, when I'm accessing the internet thru the cellular network (not WIFI) the phone displays an icon that looks like a "G" with two arrows underneath and then sometimes switches into another icon that looks like a "E" with two arrows underneath. I'm wondering if you know whether one of them means I'm on a 3G speed and the other is 2G? Downloading a simple webpage is much slower than WIFI.

Retired Moderator RogersJonathan
Retired Moderator

@hogger_jeff,

It would be the same procedure. On any unlocked Android device.

@kevinds,

Welcome to the Rogers community,

Thank you for the prompt response and clarification.

@titusthegreat,

You do not have to switch APN to send MMS. The device will know when to use Internet.com and when to use Media.com. Just make sure that the first APN listed is the Rogers and the second APN is Rogers MMS. Enter the setting exactly as I described at the top. And You should be fine to browse and to send MMS (Please verify as well that you have a MMS packages on your account)

Concerning your second question, "G" Stands for GPRS and "E" stands for EDGE.

They are both 2G Cellular communication systems Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)

GPRS provides data rates of 56 - 114 kbit/second.

EDGE provides data rates of 236.8 - 473.6 kbit/second.

I hope this helps,

I Plan to Stick Around

GPRS provides data rates of 56 - 114 kbit/second.

EDGE provides data rates of 236.8 - 473.6 kbit/second.

Ummm... according to the Speedtest.net android app, I'm getting anywhere from 4 to 15 kilobits/sec for both up and down speed on Edge.  That is with the settings as in the earlier post.  I'd called tech support about the slow speeds once before, but was told that those speeds were "normal" for Edge. 

@RogersJonathan - any comments?  What could be wrong? FWIW, I am in Brandon, MB and I get these results connecting to a Brandon server.  Just tested again - 999ms latency, 10kbps down, 17kbps up.

Just to make sure it's not the app, I connected to my home WiFi and got 308ms latency, 2216kbps down and 1090kbps up on the same server.

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Hi hogger_jeff,

There are a few things to keep in mind with those numbers.

Firstly those numbers are for optimal performance. Certain factors such as distance, transmission interference (signal quality) and congestion all play important roles.

Secondly even though speedtesting with a 3rd party server is a great way to get a general idea of speeds, results can vary quite a lot depending on the server.

For example using the same application on my Captivate, testing with a Toronto server I get around 579 kbps down and 321 kbps up, testing with an Oakville server I get 3924 kbps down 371 kpbs up. I am in Toronto and Oakville is about 30-40 Kms away.

I recommend testing with different servers to see if the results vary. The speeds you are getting sound a little low unless distance and signal quality play an important role where you are located. If you feel you are getting abnormally low speeds I recommend giving us a call at 1866-931-3282 so we can escalate and investigate this for you.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info...is there no 3G data rates even the newer phones are all capable of?

Opening a simple text page with no photos or videos (off the Toronto Star website) takes close to a minute...

I Plan to Stick Around

Quick updateon this - tested on 3G in Winnipeg and was seeing rates in the 900 range.  That's much better than rural Manitoba, but still doesn't seem like true 3G...

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation