cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact name changes to 'unknown name' during calls

Wades22
I've been here awhile

While on a call with saved contacts, I'll hear the hang up sound and then the name of the contact will change to Unknown...and the length of time of the call will restart...as if it's a new call. I'm using a Samsung 8 Edge. It happens on just about every call after 30s to 1hr... any ideas on why this happening? What is the fix?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Contact name changes to 'unknown name' during calls

Hey @Wades22,

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot and provide feedback in attempting to resolve this particular matter. 

@Tylern798, welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

We have been receiving additional reports of some VOLTE users, particularly on S8 and S8 Plus phones, having incoming or outgoing calls with initially visible caller ID /name in the call log before reverting to "unknown caller". Our engineering team is working on a fix.

Please feel free to reach out to us via private message, @CommunityHelps, so we can escalate a ticket on your behalf. We'll also be sure to update this thread once we confirmed its been resolved.

If you're not familiar how private messenger works, please review THIS blog.

Regards,

RogersCilio

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

RogersMaude

Hello @Wades22,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Thank you for sharing your situation with us, this issue does seem a bit odd.

We however do want to help you shed some light on the matter, and hopefully together we can resolve it.

To understand the nature of the problem you're experiencing, I would need more information from you.

• When did you first notice the issue? Was it following an OS update, for example?
  • Does this occur while you're using Wi-Fi Calling or just on a regular phone call?

Feel free to share any more relevant details you may think of with us. Smiley Wink

Anyone in the Community ever noticed this issue?

RogersMaude

Wades22
I've been here awhile
Thank you for response. Answers to your questions:
When did you first notice the issue? WADES22>I noticed it happening over the past 2 months, initially on a couple of calls to now where it happens on most of my calls.
Was it following an OS update, for example? WADES22 > There was one system update over the past 2 months but I can't say for certain if this issue started before or after the OS update.
Does this occur while you're using Wi-Fi Calling or just on a regular phone call? WADES22> This happens on regular calls.
Thank you.

Hello @Wades22,

Thanks for providing those answers! 

We're still uncertain as to what could be causing this to happen. If you don't mind providing us with more information, we have a few additional questions for you:

• Does it happen on all of your saved contacts or just specific contacts?
  • Do you know if the contacts on your phone are saved on the SIM Card or the internal phone memory?
  • Have you attempted a Factory Reset on your device since noticing this issue?

Keep us posted!

RogersTony

Wades22
I've been here awhile
It happens with every those saved contacts I speak with most. I'm not sure if all are saved to SIM or to the phone's memory. I'll need to check. I haven't done a factory reset since setting up the phone.l, however, I did an IO update this morning and noticed it happened again.

Tylern798
I've been around
I have the exact same problem i am in a call and it just changes to unknown

Hey @Wades22,

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot and provide feedback in attempting to resolve this particular matter. 

@Tylern798, welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

We have been receiving additional reports of some VOLTE users, particularly on S8 and S8 Plus phones, having incoming or outgoing calls with initially visible caller ID /name in the call log before reverting to "unknown caller". Our engineering team is working on a fix.

Please feel free to reach out to us via private message, @CommunityHelps, so we can escalate a ticket on your behalf. We'll also be sure to update this thread once we confirmed its been resolved.

If you're not familiar how private messenger works, please review THIS blog.

Regards,

RogersCilio

Having same issue contacts are all on Google account

Hey @Graylaura1355,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

Thank you for your post, I can certainly understand the annoyance this may cause and I apologize to the Community for the delayed update. A small amount of customers have been identified to be impacted. For users still afflicted, this means you, @Wades22@Tylern798 Smiley Wink... Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can escalate a ticket and include your accounts as, affected devices.

Here's a blog explaining how our Private Messenger works!

Have a good weekend!

Regards,

RogersCilio

Daniella19
I've been here awhile
Been having the same issue with Samsung S8. Changes contacts to Unknown Name and it sometimes ends the call after it changes to unknown.

Good afternoon and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums @Daniella19,

I know this is counterproductive to having the caller ID feature. Please refer to RogersCilio's post right above yours and PM us so we can add your information to the ticket.

RogersZia

Having this same problem with my phone and my wife's phone. Both are samsung S8s. How can we fix this ?

Thanks,

Fadi

Daniella19
I've been here awhile
Rogers told me they can't figure out the issue and that I would have to call them again with the case number.

Lo8
I've been around

I'm having the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S8+

It happens with all contacts, incoming and outgoing calls, long calls, short calls. 

Has anyone had any luck fixing this? I finally got my phone the way I like it and don't want to have to do a factory reset. 

Hello @Lo8,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you are experiencing the same issue as other users in this thread. In order to rectify this, I would request that you send a PM to @CommunityHelps so we can escalate a ticket on your behalf.  

For more information on our Private Message system, please see this blog.

RogersShaun

Tracyt1
I've been here awhile
Mine has been doing this for about 2weeks now. I'm using an S8. Not a huge deal just weird. .maybe it is in the software.

I'm having this exact same problem. I am so frustrated this is the second Samsung s8 I've had in 9 days. This needs to get resolved ASAP

Hello and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums @Tracyt1 and @Danacasc3!

I realize several users are now being affected by this issue. @Tracyt1, please reach out to us via private message @CommunityHelps, so we can escalate a ticket on your behalf. If you're not familiar how private messenger works, please review THIS blog.

@Danacasc3, I see you've already reached out to us via PM. 

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this issue Robot Happy!

RogersZia

Tracyt1
I've been here awhile
How do I reach out via private message?
Sorry can't seem to find it.

Hello @Tracyt1,

Welcome to the Community!

You're asking the right question:

You'll see a Private Message icon after you click on your profile picture at the top of your page. If you have any new messages, you'll see the number of unread messages next to the envelope icon.

Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.

PM.jpg

To send a Private Message:

1. Go to your Private Message Inbox.
  2. Click Compose New Message.
  3. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  4. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  5. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  6. Click Send Message.  You see your sent messages in the Sent Messages tab.

Hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions.

RogersZia

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 in conversation