Contact name changes to 'unknown name' during calls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Contact name changes to 'unknown name' during calls

While on a call with saved contacts, I'll hear the hang up sound and then the name of the contact will change to Unknown...and the length of time of the call will restart...as if it's a new call. I'm using a Samsung 8 Edge. It happens on just about every call after 30s to 1hr... any ideas on why this happening? What is the fix?

***Added Labels***

Re: Contact name changes to 'unknown name' during calls

Hello @Wades22,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Thank you for sharing your situation with us, this issue does seem a bit odd.

We however do want to help you shed some light on the matter, and hopefully together we can resolve it.

To understand the nature of the problem you're experiencing, I would need more information from you.

• When did you first notice the issue? Was it following an OS update, for example?
  • Does this occur while you're using Wi-Fi Calling or just on a regular phone call?

Feel free to share any more relevant details you may think of with us. Smiley Wink

Anyone in the Community ever noticed this issue?

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for response. Answers to your questions:
When did you first notice the issue? WADES22>I noticed it happening over the past 2 months, initially on a couple of calls to now where it happens on most of my calls.
Was it following an OS update, for example? WADES22 > There was one system update over the past 2 months but I can't say for certain if this issue started before or after the OS update.
Does this occur while you're using Wi-Fi Calling or just on a regular phone call? WADES22> This happens on regular calls.
Thank you.

Hello @Wades22,

Thanks for providing those answers! 

We're still uncertain as to what could be causing this to happen. If you don't mind providing us with more information, we have a few additional questions for you:

• Does it happen on all of your saved contacts or just specific contacts?
  • Do you know if the contacts on your phone are saved on the SIM Card or the internal phone memory?
  • Have you attempted a Factory Reset on your device since noticing this issue?

Keep us posted!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

It happens with every those saved contacts I speak with most. I'm not sure if all are saved to SIM or to the phone's memory. I'll need to check. I haven't done a factory reset since setting up the phone.l, however, I did an IO update this morning and noticed it happened again.
I've Been Around

I have the exact same problem i am in a call and it just changes to unknown
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @Wades22,

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot and provide feedback in attempting to resolve this particular matter. 

@Tylern798, welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

We have been receiving additional reports of some VOLTE users, particularly on S8 and S8 Plus phones, having incoming or outgoing calls with initially visible caller ID /name in the call log before reverting to "unknown caller". Our engineering team is working on a fix.

Please feel free to reach out to us via private message, @CommunityHelps, so we can escalate a ticket on your behalf. We'll also be sure to update this thread once we confirmed its been resolved.

If you're not familiar how private messenger works, please review THIS blog.

Regards,

RogersCilio

I've Been Around

Having same issue contacts are all on Google account
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @Graylaura1355,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

Thank you for your post, I can certainly understand the annoyance this may cause and I apologize to the Community for the delayed update. A small amount of customers have been identified to be impacted. For users still afflicted, this means you, @Wades22@Tylern798 Smiley Wink... Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can escalate a ticket and include your accounts as, affected devices.

Here's a blog explaining how our Private Messenger works!

Have a good weekend!

Regards,

RogersCilio

I've Been Here Awhile

Been having the same issue with Samsung S8. Changes contacts to Unknown Name and it sometimes ends the call after it changes to unknown.