cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "sign into network" notifications

XperiaM2
I've been here awhile

Just updated my Sony Xperia to Android Lollipop 5.  I now get constant "sign into network" notifications.  I've turned notifications off every app, but no change.

***Edited Labels*** 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Constant "sign into network" notifications

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @XperiaM2,

Welcome to the Community! 

Can you please verify if your cellular data is working? Is it turned on? Is the device unlocked and If so do you have the correct APN settings? Does it only happen on DATA or WiFi or at all times? I also found some information on the Sony forums here

Is anyone else in the Community having a similar issue? Please feel free to chime in. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

XperiaM2
I've been here awhile

Hi, thanks for the quick response.  No data on this phone, just talk and text.  I think all the settings are correct.  It happens if wi-fi is on or off.  Thanks again,

Hello @XperiaM2

Welcome to the Community!

"Sign in to Network" notification is if you have Wifi ON but not connected and wifi network is available.

BEST way to know what app is giving you the notification is HOLD down on the notification drawer, the notification itself and then tap "App info" when it pops up.

Chances are, you have wifi on, but not connected.

"Sign in to Network" is a pretty standard message from Wifi (built in), it not normally an additional app. Keyword: Normally. Only other apps that can alert you with similar messages, are social media apps.

Though you did say "It happens if wifi is on or off", to understand correctly, This message happens WHEN wifi is on AND WHEN wifi is off? both times?

If so, then could it be a social media app. but it won't say "Network" it will just say "Sign in to 'xxxx'" where 'xxxx' is the app name. but hey, I use a samsung. So a Sony phone might just say network.

The only other time it does that is if an app loses data connection when it is suppose to always have data (internet). Such as facebook or twitter. SNS services run in the background. (It's part of the program that allows notifications to run for these apps).

Disabling 'notifications' from apps won't do. Since this is not a user notification, this is a system notification.

Hope this helps, and please ask away any further questions.

Cheers.

XperiaM2
I've been here awhile

Thanks again, unfortunately, it happens when wi-fi is on AND off - doesn't really make any difference.  It always says "sign into NETWORK" and when I tap, it just goes to Rogers network sign-in page asking me to buy a data package - maybe it's just a push marketing message?  If you google this problem, you'll see there are numerous people complaining about it - all after updating to Android 5.

zeroz3hereo
I plan to stick around

@XperiaM2

That's exactly what it is my friend. A push note from Roger's 😄  

Cheers!!

Hey @XperiaM2 & @zeroz3hereo

I actually did not KNOW that. Wow. O_o you can still turn the notification off no?

Every notification has a soruce.

What happens if you hold down on the noticication and hit "App Info" - where does it take you?

(I always had data so I personally have never ran across this before).

Anyone has Talk and Text Plan in the community with this message and know a work around?

I assume it's an easy access to purchase data pass. (which make sense), but not be able to turn it off seems odd (for me).

I could be wrong and maybe no way of turning it off, but can't hurt to poke around a little and see if I can help you, right?

XperiaM2
I've been here awhile

I'm not sure buying a data plan would make any difference - many of the people complaining on Google have data plans but still have the problem.  When I hold down the notification, it says its the Android System - not sure that's very helpful as I assume Android OS controls most things.  Also, I can't make any changes to the the permissions or notifications to the OS.

That is a bummer.

(Unless device was rooted, and even then that's risky to block Android OS notifications)

I am out of ideas. I haven't seen a Network push notification such as that.

Can you take a screenshot and post it here as a jpeg?

Fletchs_54
I've been here awhile

All day long my Android tells me to sign in to network.

What is the correct setting for the APN

Hello @Fletchs_54,

Welcome to the Community Robot Happy!

I'm not a fan of constant popups either! You can view the correct APN settings in our How To thread here

Please let us know of the outcome.

RogersZia

I am having the same thing always popping up on my phone too. I click on it and hit use network as is but it always reappears a couple hours later. I'm using a new Galaxy S9. I have no data on my monthly plan either.

Hello, @EMORELAND

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Dealing with pop-ups all the time can definitely become annoying!

Can you disable the Mobile data on your device since your plan does not come with Data? You can do this in the Settings - Connections - Data usage then press the toggle switch for Mobile data to turn it off.

Let us know if this pop up is still occurring.

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 in conversation