Connecting Motorola X Play to PC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Connecting Motorola X Play to PC

I just got my first Android phone - Motorola X Play and trying to figure out why I cannot connect my phone to PC in order to upload some ringtones to the phone. I had an understanding that once I connect a phone to PC I get to see a list of folders, such as photos, music ringtones, etc, where I can copy files to. I am only able to see a phone device without any folders or files.

Quick search on android forums provides solutions like clearing app cash. I tried that, even reset the phone once, but still no solution.

Are any experienced android users able to help?

Phone: Motorola X Play with 64GB microSD card setup as internal storage runs on Android 6.0.1

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connecting Motorola X Play to PC

@TeDD13, is this relevant?

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/67651/cannot-connect-my-moto-x-to-windows-7-pc

I might add in a few more links if I find anything else that might be relevant.

If you have the motorola driver already installed, I would lay the blame on Windows 10.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TeDD13, not an experienced Android person, but, what windows version are you using?  Windows 10 has been a pain for readers and small tablets. 

Highlighted

I do use Windows 10 64 bit PRO... Is my windows version a problem? I have no problems connecting iphone and blackberries to my computers with Win10...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Running the regular release updates or advance preview updates?  The advance preview updates put you about two weeks to a month ahead of the regular release schedule.

Edit:  there was an issue with Kobo and Kindle (?) readers that was resolved with a recent advance update.  Windows 10 Anniversary Update wouldn't recognize the reader at all.  Works like it should since the recent advance update was installed.  You're android situation reminds me of the same thing.  Perhaps Windows 10 AU has some issue connecting to certain Android devices?  Running a google search might turn up something relevant.

Highlighted

Darn windows updates... Yes, all my PCs have all the recent updates installed. Guess I'll reinstall Windows 7 on one of my old desktops. If this won't work I would need to return the phone, which is too bad as other than this weird problem I do like the phone.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Microsoft runs several update streams for windows.  The vast majority of users receive the final approved update builds.  There is an Insider Preview program that you can sign up for so that you receive the preview of those final approved updates.  You can, if you choose have the final beta build I believe its called installed even before the preview build is release.  So, essentially its .....beta (?)..... preview build ..... final update release.  There might be some update in the latest preview build that would resolve your situation.  Perhaps in another two weeks to a month, you would see that same update release. 

The Insider Preview program link is below.  You would use your normal Microsoft account sign in, and then register for the Windows Insider Program.   In that registration phase you would select the release build of your choice.  From that point on, you will receive the early release build, days, probably weeks before the final release build hits the streets.

https://insider.windows.com/

Edit;  You don't download any iso from that location, simply sign up and install a small update on your pc which identifies it as one that receives one of the early release builds of the upcoming update.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TeDD13, is this relevant?

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/67651/cannot-connect-my-moto-x-to-windows-7-pc

I might add in a few more links if I find anything else that might be relevant.

If you have the motorola driver already installed, I would lay the blame on Windows 10.  

View solution in original post