cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not set carrier manually on Android 8.0.0 Oreo

Tank252ca
I'm here a lot

My son is going to University in Windsor and his phone started connecting to U.S. networks and we're getting charged for roaming. Prior versions of Android allowed you to set the Carrier manually, but under Android 8.0.0 (Oreo) there is no manual option. Under Connections / Mobile Networks / Network Operators you can Search Networks to see a list of available networks but below that it says Select Automatically and there is no option to select the carrier manually and prevent roaming.  How do you prevent automatic roaming with Android 8?  I am not talking about data roaming.  My son has data roaming turned off.  How do you turn off carrier roaming?

*** Edited Labels *** 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can not set carrier manually on Android 8.0.0 Oreo

RogersZia

Hello @Tank252ca,

I realize accidental roaming is a known occurrence for customers living close to a US border. Typically. all voice, text or data usage in areas around the US border is automatically billed using domestic rates, even if your device was picked up by a US-based tower. Have you been billed for roaming charges on your son's line? Or he has just received a welcome message from a US carrier? I would recommend you to keep an eye out on the monthly charges to confirm that your son's line is not billed for US roaming while in Canada.

@gp-se are you able to comment on potential limitations for carrier settings with Oreo?

RogersZia

@Tank252ca 

What Phone are you using? 

It might be under "Advanced Calling" However I did a quick google search and it seems a lot of people have this issue, but no clear solution. 

My son has the Nexus 6P running Android 8.1 and I have the Galaxy S7 running 8.0.  Slightly different menus but no clear way to turn of carrier roaming like you could under Android 7.

What about unlocking the phone and running vanilla Android 9?  Android 10 might break some apps.

Good day @Tank252ca,

Thank you for your post! You can adjust how your phone uses data by changing your mobile network settings.

Depending on your service and plan, your phone may connect automatically to your carrier’s fastest available data network or you may need to pick settings for a specific carrier. Are you look to "turn off data roaming"?

To change mobile network settings on Nexus devices:

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Network & internet > Mobile network.
  3. Tap a setting.

Available mobile network settings:

• Mobile data: Turn mobile data on or off.
  • Roaming: Let your phone send data over other carriers' networks when you leave an area covered by your carrier’s networks.

To change mobile network settings on a Samsung Galaxy S7:

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Connections > Mobile network.
  3. Toggle Data roaming on or off.

Note: Some of these steps work only on Android 8.1 and up.

Let us know if you need further assistance!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation