Bluetooth tethering "gone" with JB 4.1.2

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Bluetooth tethering "gone" with JB 4.1.2

Currently have a Rogers issued Samsung Galaxy S3. I've had it now for almost a year and one common thing I do with my device is tether it to my iPad using Bluetooth. This has worked great as I can leave Bluetooth on and awaiting connection. When I want to connect I just turn on the iPad's Bluetooth and connect to the S3. However, the S3 notified of a system update over the weekend and I believe my phone was updated to 4.1.2 based on the Settings/About/Android version. However, when I went to connect my iPad I was no longer able. Checking More Settings/Tethering and portable hotspot it appears Bluetooth is no longer listed. As I'm on a 6GB plan which is approved for tethering, how do I re-enable this feature? This is a very important feature! Where I am aware I can use the phone as a portable hotspot, this feature I find consumes considerably more battery life and is unnecessary as I only connect one device to the S3. If I were to connect more then one device it would be in a location where I could plug the phone in and enable the hotspot feature. Why publish an update the removes existing functionality which was provided with the device when I purchased it and have used from day 1 with no issue or concerns from Rogers?

***edited labels***

Highlighted

Re: Bluetooth tethering "gone" with JB 4.1.2

Good afternoon Community! Are there any Android savvy members of the forum out there that know of a work around for the OP's issue?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Corey, happy to read any suggestions.

My understanding from the following thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1937276 is this is still available on the stock 4.1.2 firmware but carriers can choose to remove it.

I've read about alternative apps PDANet+ (free), ISWAT Tether Unlock (Requires Root), FoxFi + PDANet = $7.79 but all have their own restrictions/functionality issues.  

Prefer just to have the originally functionality in 4.1.1 returned to 4.1.2 in the Rogers updated Firmware as I never had any issues with it.  

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been trying to connect macbook air to a brand new Galaxy S4 via bluetooth tethering for a while now without success.

I reached Samsung support (because Rogers couldn't tell me or figure it out), and informed me that the Canadian version of our Galaxy S4 does not have the bluetooth tethering option. 

So I was wondering if it's a hardware issue, android issue, Rogers issue?

Now since you have an S3 that could do the bluetooth tethering at one point, and since the android update, now you can't, I would tend towards an android issue.  But the Samsung US guy told me it is still available on their S4...

So I thinks Rogers needs to tell us:

1. Are they aware that we can't bluetooth tether anymore? and the US can!

2. Any plans to fix it?  (My 3 year old iPhone can do it)

Edit: I have android 4.2.2 and S4 model SGH-I337M

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

man i use that function sometimes on my s3 and i just realized its gone too. anybody else have a fix? i remember that working well when i did use it. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

AS PER CONVERSATION WITH ROGERS - THEY HAVE REMOVED BLUETOOTH TETHERING OPTION ON MOST IF NOT ALL SAMSUNG/ANDROID PHONES!!!!!! ONLY THING TO DO NOW IS INFORM THE PUBLIC SO THEY CAN MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS!! I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS. $1200 PHONE AND I CANT TETHER TO MY CAR!