Anybody had heat problems with the LG Optimus G?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Anybody had heat problems with the LG Optimus G?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new phone and I've been really drawn to the LG Optimus G - it's blazing fast, looks great and the reviews have been generally favourable. I've noticed some people online mentioning that it runs quite hot however. Indeed when I've played with it in the stores I've noticed the back to be somewhat warm (although not hot) but to be fair the store models run demo mode and thus play video non-stop with the screen on. Still, it seems warmer than the GS3's I've used. Alternately I've heard people in forums say they've had absolutely no heat issues at all.

So I guess I'm wondering if any of you actually own this phone and how do you find heat issues if any? Do you find that it runs hotter than other high-end smart phones these days? (I'm coming from an old single core Galaxy S) Is it possible it just feels hotter because the back is glass? Furthermore, do you think the heat if any could limit the overall lifespan or should it not really be a concern?

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Anybody had heat problems with the LG Optimus G?

No warmer than any of my others phones, it's a very underrated phone. One of the best phones on the market, and I've tried out a lot of them.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for replying. How are you finding battery life? Also, I've seen some people saying that it has difficulty syncing to Microsoft Exchange servers on this phone. Have you ever noticed any issues with that?

I'm a Senior Contributor

Battery life took a couple of charges to get good, but at first it was a tad dissappointing.  It's not as good as the GS3 and One X, but it's still quite good.  No issues with exchange from my experience.

I Plan to Stick Around

One last question - how are you finding the camera?

I'm not a photographer so I don't need the world's greatest smart phone camera but I do at least want it to not take garbage pictures. Average is fine for me really. Some of the reviews really seem to spend a lot of time bashing the camera and I wonder whether it's legitimate or if it's just camera-snobbery.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Sorry, I've actually never used the camera, so can't say.  I don't take photos ever on my phones since absolutely no phone out there is good enough for photos IMHO, and that includes the 'almighty' iPhone 5.

I've Been Here Awhile

I like the phone myself, haven't had any problems with heat or battery life, I can get a full day+ with basic use.  I use it as an e-reader and on days where I have been reading heavily (i.e. screen has been on but not straining the processor) i will usually get  around 10-15 hours with arouond 6-8 of those hours with the screen on, connected to wi-fi for the most part and some brief browsing etc.  If I start pushing the processor then the battery life starts dropping significantly faster (i.e. playing games, videos, etc.).

However I have had issues with Exchange Syncing (using activesync), I have found that occasionally the phone will simply stop communicating with the exchange server until the heartbeat timeout is reached and it attempts to reconnect.  It seems to be totally random, sometimes it works fine and other times not.  I have tried both the default client and touchdown and both have the same issue.

The default exchange Max heartbeat is 59 minutes, when this was set I would sometime recieve emails on my phone an hour after then had come through to my outlook.  After setting the Max heartbeat to 15 minutes the delay is now 15 minutes (for the record our firewall is set to leave the connection active for 1 hour).  The 15 minute delay is not great but acceptable for me, however not for our users therefore I won't be suggesting this phone to them.

We have also tested other Android Devices and iPhones and have not been able to recreate the issue on any other device.

As for the camera, I don't take a lot of pictures but the ones that I have taken have not impressed me, I usually find them to be somewhat pixelated.  Also the Auto ISO seems to be kind of off, apparently the manual iso options give better shots but then you have to know what iso to use and when to change it so that's a bit of a pain. 

I would like to add though that as for the phone itself, I do like it.  Assuming the exchange problem is the device, then if that's not an issue this is a nice peice of hardware.  It's snappy, the screen is nice and i find it just the right size.  Originally I was somewhat concerned as it is much bigger then my previous devices but I have found that I appreciate the bigger screen and it is thin and light enough that it still fits in a pocket and in the hand pretty nicely.  After using the device for a couple weeks I had to test an iPhone, everything on the iPhone felt really cramped, I was happy to go back to my Optimus G.

I have a Nexus 7 wi-fi tablet as well which I have given to my Nephew since I got this as the Optimus G has a big enough screen that I feel comfortable using it for everything that i was using the tablet for orginally and it's easier to carry around.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just wanted to thank everybody in this thread for taking the time to post their experiences and opinions. I've made the decision to go with the Optimus G and I'm pretty excited about. Likely won't have it in my hands until next week though...

I Plan to Stick Around

My Optimus G arrived yesterday and I have to say - I'm pretty impressed with this device. It is indeed very, very fast and the screen quality is really quite impressive.

I've noticed that the LTE connectivity is somewhat sketchy though - seems hit and miss and sometimes drops back and forth between it and 4G.  I live in a high rise in Toronto so I kind of thought that I'd get a solid LTE connection where I am. It's not a huge deal for me though - the 4G is fast enough and I don't have the data caps to allow burning through a bunch of data anyway.

I've Been Here Awhile

Phone shut down on me once for being to hot.   I put it in eco mode and didnt have problems anymore.