cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Reset

Timrpw01
I've been here awhile

How do you do a backup and factory reset of an Android phone? My phone is constantly losing its charge and I was told in a Rogers store that it is a software problem and should be reset after backing up data. Can someone please tell me how to do this?

***Edited Labels.***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Android Reset

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello Timrpw01.

You need to give us a bit more information on what Android powered device you have. Without that we have no clue.

If it's a Samsung, you can download Samsung Kies on your laptop or desktop and install it. Then plug in your phone into ur computer and back it up into it. Once you are done, there is a option on there to do the factory reset or on the device it self. Once you do the factory reset, you plug in ur phone and restore it with the last back up.

If it's a HTC device, you need to download HTC Sync and back up ur device on that and do the factory reset and restore it again via that program.

If it's a Sony device, you need to download Sony Desktop Companion and do a back up and restore the device after you do the factory reset.

Unfortunately if it's a Google Nexus phone, you can't back it up. You are able to back up contacts, images and such on Dropbox tho.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello Timrpw01.

You need to give us a bit more information on what Android powered device you have. Without that we have no clue.

If it's a Samsung, you can download Samsung Kies on your laptop or desktop and install it. Then plug in your phone into ur computer and back it up into it. Once you are done, there is a option on there to do the factory reset or on the device it self. Once you do the factory reset, you plug in ur phone and restore it with the last back up.

If it's a HTC device, you need to download HTC Sync and back up ur device on that and do the factory reset and restore it again via that program.

If it's a Sony device, you need to download Sony Desktop Companion and do a back up and restore the device after you do the factory reset.

Unfortunately if it's a Google Nexus phone, you can't back it up. You are able to back up contacts, images and such on Dropbox tho.

Timrpw01
I've been here awhile

It's a Samsung. Thanks, I'll try that.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hellol Timrpw01

You are welcome 🙂

I am also trying to do a factory reset on an old phone of mine for which I have forgotten the security code (series of numbers) - a Motorola XT615 which runs on android 2.3.7)

I found the steps to take which are pressing power and both volume up and volume down 

Then I get to the correct menu - I can see the Android buddy with the exclamation mark over his head.

I am then asked to press the menu softkey but here's the thing - none of the 4 softkeys are responding? no backlight either...

which is very weird because They do respond when I am in the startup menu of the phone even though it's locked.

Is there another way to proceed or another set of steps that would replace hitting the menu softkey? all I really want to do Is use the phone again so either unlocking it or wiping it to access main menu is fine...

Thanks to whomever can help! 🙂

Hello, @saucisse

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. I appreciate all the details you have included in your post. Were you able to bypass the screen lock yet?

Have you tried removing the battery? You can try powering off the phone then remove the battery for 30 seconds and try the steps again. 

@Community - any other ideas to enable soft keys during the reset process?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Hello!

I have tried to remove the battery several times but it did not help.

I have also tried to factory reset the phone via a software for my pc (android tools) but since the phone is password locked, the computer doesnt recognize it nor lets me access it. So I can't use the software.

Is there any way to physically factory reset a android phone?!

Perhaps opening it and triggering something?

Thanks again 🙂

@saucisse 

@saucisse wrote:

Hello!

I have tried to remove the battery several times but it did not help.

I have also tried to factory reset the phone via a software for my pc (android tools) but since the phone is password locked, the computer doesnt recognize it nor lets me access it. So I can't use the software.

Is there any way to physically factory reset a android phone?!

Perhaps opening it and triggering something?

Thanks again 🙂

nothing inside, the only option you have is try going to a cell phone repair store and see what they can do.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @saucisse

Unfortunately there isn't much u can do as this is a security feature that is added.

Nothing inside the phone can help u unless u get a brand new motherboard which isn't something cheap ( cost is as much as the new phone at time).

Check and see if u can contact Rogers and see if they can send u out a replacement with the replacement program they have but it's a cost that is added.

Also check around and see if any cellphone stores can get into the phone and fix it for u.
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation