cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Pie for S8?

Herostanilian
I've been here awhile

As of this week, Samsung released the last OneUI update on the oldest flagship phone getting updates, the s8. Being an owner of the phone I would like to know when will Roger's release this update. I've been waiting impatiently for a few features such as night mode and a boost in the software department.

**Labels Added**

43 REPLIES 43

Re: Android Pie for S8?

Hello Community!

I know all of you have been waiting patiently for some news on when Android Pie will be available for the Samsung S8 and S8+. GREAT NEWS! The OS Upgrade Schedule has been updated today and Android Pie for the S8 series of devices is being pushed out by Samsung in batches starting on April 1st.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences with Android Pie on your devices and keep an eye out for the software update notification on your devices starting April 1st. 😃

RogersTony

tkircos
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the great news and hope it's not an April fools joke 🙂 

shaggyskunk
I'm a trusted contributor
Yet last week Rogers was clueless??
Samsung & Telus already posted about the April 1st /2nd One UI updates... How is it that Rogers is so unable to publish this when others have already?
I posted this already... 🐧

Kirovnet
I've been here awhile
Great news! Thanks for your follow up..

nelsongai
I've been here awhile
Will the Pie for S8 be released today April 1st?

shaggyskunk
Already happened - Check for Updates if you don't have it yet 🐧

JLANG6
I've been here awhile

QUESTION - HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED TO PIE WITH THE OTA APRIL 01 LOAD? 

It is now 2019-04-02 the second day since my Rogers S8+ has informed me of an available software update to PIE. Version: G955WVLU5CSC1 /G955WOYA5CSC1 / G955WVLU5CSC1 Size: 1553.52 MB Security patch level: March 1,2019. 

The problem: Starts to load and gets to about 13.07 MB then stalls! Displays the following popup! "A network or server error occurred. Try again later". 

Before you ask I have 26.9 GB available space on the device (more than adequate for 1.56GB update).

I contacted Samsung Support directly: This is what I was told by the tech support agent: "I have checked all my resources on Baseband version G955WVLS5BSA1 from my end. Currently, pie update is not available for Canadian model phone s8+( G955WVLS5BSA1). In order to install high-end version updates to any device, the device's hardware should be compatible with the updated software and should have a capable mechanism for executing the updated software only then it gives the option to update the table. Because your phone s8+ is one of the latest model phones, as per the model baseband version, there is no update for it correctly. You should be getting it in the near future as it is still an ongoing process."

ROGERS was this just an elaborate April fools joke?

Please let me know if anyone has successfully downloaded and upgraded their S8+ (Baseband version G955WVLS5BSA1)?

Tinmor
I've been here awhile

I updated my S8 yesterday (not S8+), everything went through without any problem, now I'm on Pie officially on my S8, the only thing I really whish is to have Rogers to stop hiding "Mobile Data" & "Hotspot" toggle menu icons without me to manually put them back after each update, I use those two functions often and it's annoying without toggle icons that I have to go into "settings, connection, data usage" to enable/disable.

Turge
I've been here awhile
Agreed. It's annoying having to manually add it after every update.

Mathsss81
I plan to stick around

Upgraded to Android Pie on Monday. Just noticed that there is no more the "PHRASE BLOCKING" under Samsung Messages. I was using this feature to move the voicemail messages that tells that there is a new voicemail The text in french is "1 nouveau(x) 0 Urgent(s)" ( 1 New 0 Urgent(s) ) that comes from the phone number of the person that left a voicemail. This is the means that Rogers uses to trigger the voicemail notification icon on top of the phone.

BTW: Android Messages does not provide any way to BLOCK PHRASES, only phone numbers. Looks like the providers are blocking this option. This option was available since my Galaxy S captivate... VERY ANNOYING!

Mathsss81
I plan to stick around
From what I read it looks like it's Rogers through the CSC (others.xml file) that some of the options are not available like hotsport from drop down menu.

JLANG6
I've been here awhile

UPDATE TO QUESTION - HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED TO PIE WITH THE OTA APRIL 01 LOAD? 

On April 6th I successfully downloaded and upgraded the Samsung S8+ (Baseband version G955WVLS5BSA1) without any issue. 

Mathsss81
I plan to stick around
@JLANG6 I'm talking abouy the upgrade above.... so yes lol

shaggyskunk
It's got nothing to do with the OTA & everything to do with the Canadian Carriers removing the Mobile Data & Hot Spot Toggles! You can add them back with adb commands - You need to Download & install Platform-Tools to your computer & Samsung USB Drivers - You need to Enable USB Debugging on your phone (Settings - Software Information - Click on the Build number 7 times) Connect your phone to the computer - Open Windows Power Shell and Type this exactly on your computer in Windows Power Shell:

.\adb shell (press Enter)
settings put secure sysui_qs_tiles "$(settings get secure sysui_qs_tiles),MobileData,Hotspot"

Done
🐧

Mathsss81
I plan to stick around
@shaggyskunk no need for root? Isaw that procedure for Hotspot and I will probably do it. Also is it possible to enable hidden feature like phrase block if available the same way? These commands modifies the (others.xml) file right?

shaggyskunk
No you don't need Root (Unavailable on Snapdragon devices anyway) 🐧

Tinmor
I've been here awhile

No root required when using adb shell, but down side is you will have to do it every time after update.  There is a way to do it permanently, but it requires root which I do not want to risk my device with.  Just wish they stop hiding the toggle menu icons.

queencyqq
I've been here awhile
Ever since I upgraded to Pie on my S8, I am having problems with delay notification as well as receiving WhatsApp messages up to like 20 mins!! Also my sportify keep stopping. Also battery drains faster even I turned off most the background jobs. Any fixes?

shaggyskunk
Whenever there's an Android Version update - I always Backup my device and then Factory Reset - I've never had any issues by following this routine... Yes it can be a little time consuming - But Samsung is only going to provide two Android Version Updates for the life of your device - So it's worth it in my opinion 🐧

queencyqq
I've been here awhile
Guess it's too late now as I already installed the upgrade.

Tinmor
I've been here awhile
Try uninstall the apps that having issues then reinstall them again, also try totally turn off the phone then turn back on if you haven't reboot your phone after first boot after the update. Last also try clear cache partition.
Topic Stats