cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Pie for S8?

Herostanilian
I've been here awhile

As of this week, Samsung released the last OneUI update on the oldest flagship phone getting updates, the s8. Being an owner of the phone I would like to know when will Roger's release this update. I've been waiting impatiently for a few features such as night mode and a boost in the software department.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Android Pie for S8?

Hello Community!

I know all of you have been waiting patiently for some news on when Android Pie will be available for the Samsung S8 and S8+. GREAT NEWS! The OS Upgrade Schedule has been updated today and Android Pie for the S8 series of devices is being pushed out by Samsung in batches starting on April 1st.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences with Android Pie on your devices and keep an eye out for the software update notification on your devices starting April 1st. 😃

RogersTony

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

RogersYasmine

Hello @Herostanilian!

Thank you for joining us in the Rogers Community Forums! Great first post! 👌

I can definitely understand the excitement surrounding the new Android PIE update! Especially if you are someone who likes to have all the latest bells and whistles (so to speak)! Samsung only just completed the builds for the S9 series and Note 9 devices so it could be some time until the S8 series and Note 8 devices get Android Pie. 

Please do keep a close watch here in the Community Forums and we'll try to provide updates as soon as we know more!

Feel free to follow our OS Upgrade Schedule found on our OS Upgrades board, as we try to refresh it as new information is received. I would also recommend reviewing the Infographic located in the same thread which outlines the entire upgrade roll-out process.

I hope this helps! 🙂

RogersLaura

ahmed123
I plan to stick around
Samsung said pie will come for the s8 in March. Today the os upgrade schedule was updated no mention of pie update for the s8. Why the delay.

I got pie for my s8 yesterday because my phone is from the middle east

On your OS Upgrades Page, Rogers pretends as if the S8 and S8+ do not exist. There is no plan to upgrade the devices to pie at all. This is very disheartening seeing that Rogers was very good with updates in the past. 

Lauchos
I've been around
I am agree. I do not understand why it is so long. Could you give maybe a tentative release date?

It seems as though it will take way longer than expected, would it be possible for you to check if it will come at some point, since other people pointed it out that the S8 is indeed not part of the os upgrade schedule

Your reply or the link to the OS update schedule not related to the Question, Pie 9 for S8 is not part of this schedule.  Android Q is already out and we still waiting pie 9.,.

EhmTeeEhf
I'm a reliable contributor
Just a small interjection on behalf of the mods, normally when a manufacturer releases their updates, they do it in batches. Did anyone take their model and build number of their device and reach out to samsung to see if they will release OTA? Sometimes they do not and release only through device switch hardware update? I think that's what I would do. I am sure our engineering team will release once all compliance testing is done, but the Mods and even myself don't have access to that schedule, unless a release document is sent to us with those updates. So they will probably find out at the same time as yourself. That's why I normally reach out to samsung tech forums and then XDA to see if they released a schedule to OTA their OS updates. Normally we require additional testing time to make sure there are no major glitches with our network, so this could be the delay. I would rather them not release it and find a major bug. This is just my opinion not actual practice. But patience is much appreciated 🙂

shaggyskunk
I'm a trusted contributor
Wondering why Rogers OS update Schedule doesn't show anything for the One UI update even into May? Telus is showing April 1st for the S8 series & Note8 getting One UI
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566

PeterPacia
I've been here awhile
So much for March update???

Kirovnet
I've been here awhile

Telus will have the update available April 1st as seen on the link below:

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566

Rogers when are we having this update?

Pasquale1990
I'm here a lot

They cant update their schedule for the upcoming OS updates... that how slow or maybe they even forgot about the 8 series of the android... 

Hello @shaggyskunk @PeterPacia @Kirovnet @Pasquale1990, and to the rest of the Community!

We definitely understand your anticipation over the release of the PIE update for the S8. Regretfully, we do not have any information to share at this time. ☹️

As mentioned, we will be sure to update our OS Upgrade Schedule and/or post an update here in this thread as soon as we hear any news.

We appreciate your patience!

RogersLaura

But how come my friend that with Fido and has the same exact phone as mine, got the pie update and when I check on their OS Software they're already have an update and not us...

shaggyskunk
Think that your friend is mistaken - Rogers owns Fido and there is no way that Fido would push the update first 😉🐧
None of the Canadian Carriers have released One UI for the S8 series devices yet.

Yes... Telus will be releasing their update on the 8 Series as of April 1st 

Turge
I've been here awhile
I'm sorry but that update schedule is completely useless to us. According to it, you're not rolling out any major updates this year.

You are the face of the company. Your customers want information and you tell us you'll find out at the same time as us? What kind of a Mickey Mouse operation is this?

I work for a large enterprise and we understand that communication is important. If our helpdesk gets asked questions from our users/clients, they inquire and get them an answer.

Never have I seen a company so unwilling to provide their users questions.

shaggyskunk
It's curious that Samsung Members Canada have posted that the S8 series & Note8 are getting One UI on April 2nd & Telus has posted April 1st (both of these sources posted this information over a week ago) Yet Rogers (Biggest Canadian Carrier?) is clueless about these imminent updates from Samsung & Telus? That's just kind of sad...

thealessandrav
I've been around
Looks like I will be upgrading my phone before getting an update on this one..

tkircos
I've been here awhile

Based on https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/OS-Upgrades/OS-Upgrade-Schedule/td-p/354931 see section OS Upgrade Process

Lol - 4 weeks to 6 months! - Think of it they want to sell you the s10 or S9 and say its on new UI / Pie ... sure there is no rush for S8 to get the update. My guess is if they give you a date it will be mid summer.  Hope I am wrong but chances are I am not.

Topic Stats