cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Oreo

Dart1969
I've been around

Anyone knows when Oreo 8.0 will be available ??

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Android Oreo

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dart1969

Unfortunately at this moment Oreo 8.0 will be available only to the Nexus / Pixel devices. We will update this list when Samsung, LG, Sony, Huawei and others release the update to Rogers and Rogers releases the update on the devices. You can also look on the "OS Upgrade Schedule" thread daily to see any updates.

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dart1969

Unfortunately at this moment Oreo 8.0 will be available only to the Nexus / Pixel devices. We will update this list when Samsung, LG, Sony, Huawei and others release the update to Rogers and Rogers releases the update on the devices. You can also look on the "OS Upgrade Schedule" thread daily to see any updates.

dlalonde
I've been here awhile

Hi!

Google says the upgrade is now in "carrier testing". So does that mean that's it's actually Rogers pushing out the update like on other Android devices? And usually how long (approximately) does this process take (days, weeks, months)? 

I bought a Pixel thinking I'd be getting updates directly from Google the day they were released. I have to admin I'm a bit disappointed 😕

Thanks 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @dlalonde

The updates can take weeks if not months depending on when the carriers actually receive the update, add their bloatware, test it and make sure it actually works without issues, then send it back to the manufacturers and then it gets sent out.

So unfortunately you will get the update like the rest of us but a wait may acur. Pixel devices get it straight from Google if you download file online straight from Google. You can visit the link below and see.

https://www.blog.google/products/android/android-oreo-superpowers-coming-device-near-you/

dlalonde
I've been here awhile

Thank you very much for your reply.

I do have a Pixel though. That's what's confusing about this. Why is it in "carrier testing" according to Google when normally it should just be pushed out from Google directly?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @dlalonde

All updates for the Nexus / Pixel line come from Google. Carrier testing happens with all updates. It's to insure the update runs fine with the networks and won't affect anything.

dlalonde
I've been here awhile
Oh I see. And are those tests made by Google or the actual carriers?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @dlalonde

Both the carriers and Google. Once Testing is done by Rogers or any carrier, they give back the update to Google and they release it.

mousetamer
I'm a trusted contributor
I installed Oreo last week using the system image. So far no issues. The official OTA is being pushed out now. Go to your settings and check for update. It should be available for all Rogers Pixels now.

Anyone have any updates on the OTA launch of Android 8 for the Nexus 6p? The official update schedule says it was expected to launch yesterday but so far nothing. I've checked for updates manually through the day yesterday but still getting nothing.

dillon808
I plan to stick around

nothing here on my 6p as well.

Javeyday
I've been around
My pixel XL got it just fine.
However our 6p is still showing no update available.
With Sept 11 being yesterday.... Do we have a new ETA? Or just wait until it finally pushes out? Our 6p has had the dreaded echo issue since 7.1.1 and hoping 8.0 fixes it!

Hello @Javeyday,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Cat Happy

It’s always exciting when new software is rolled out and I know how important it is to ensure your devices are all up-to-date.

September 11th is the scheduled date the software is being rolled out but Google manages the rollout slowly and not all devices will get the updates at the same time. Once the update is available for your device you will be prompted to download and install.

Keep an eye on the OS Upgrade Schedule thread Here for any changes to the roll out schedule for your device.

RogersTony

hi i just did a new update on my s8+ and it asking me for my password im putting it but it said error what can i do 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @crissy1985

Is it asking you for a password to unlock the device or did you set a encryption passcode when turning off and on the phone?

Also make sure you aren't using any capital letters within the whole word if its not a PIN number.

If this continues, contact Samsung Canada and they should help you as they may be able to troubleshoot the device for u.

TeDD13
I can almost bet that Sony will be the first to release the Oreo

hart0088
I've been here awhile
Why is Rogers always so far behind. Everyone else will habe oreo by February and we will get it by next september of we are lucky.

TeDD13

Rogers needs to at least initially test the new version of Android for every model it is approved for. Given tiny engineering resources dedicated for testing (if any), this process takes a lot of time.

Smartphone manufacturers only need to test new software releases on their own phones only, so they are much faster to get software out.

So if you want to get software updates faster, get either Google or Sony phones.

@hart0088 wrote:
Why is Rogers always so far behind. Everyone else will habe oreo by February and we will get it by next september of we are lucky.

Rogers has been doing very good with some phones. I had a Samsung S8 for a few months, and it got the updates a week after the US got the updates. To me that is very good, when I had my S6 it took months before we got the updates after the US.

TammyLoiselle
I've been here awhile

So the Oreo update is out for Sony Xperia X Performance.  Only I can't seem to get my phone to update.  I tried both the OTA update system and the Sony update system through Xperia Companion.  Any suggestions?

Hello @TammyLoiselle,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Ensuring your device is running the latest software is super important so you can always be up-to-date especially in regards to the added security that usually comes with it.

As I mentioned in Post 13 of this thread, Google manages the rollout slowly and not all devices will get the updates at the same time. Once the update is available for your device you will be prompted to download & install.

Keep an eye on the OS Upgrade Schedule thread Here for any changes to the rollout schedule for your specific device.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Topic Stats