cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Oreo

Dart1969
I've been around

Anyone knows when Oreo 8.0 will be available ??

***Edited Labels***

76 REPLIES 76

Re: Android Oreo

coachimfit
I've been here awhile

Android 8.1 SMS Issue

Just updated to Oreo 8.1 on my Google pixel. Sms is horrible now. Fails to send and receive or sends/receives duplicates. Happening with the native Android messages app and Facebook messenger sms. What gives??

Hi @coachimfit,

Welcome to the Community, and thanks for reaching out.

Reliable SMS is definitely important. To look into this further for you, we may need some more information.

Are you receiving any error messages when sending SMS?  Is the issue happening with all contacts or just specific ones you've tried?

Let us know!

RogersShaun

coachimfit
I've been here awhile
Only error message I get is when when it fails to send. It just says text not sent.
Failure to send and duplicate texts are random and happening with all contacts I message. I did some research on my own and it seems to be a bug with the latest Oreo update. I'm mostly convinced it's not a network problem...

QballDS
I plan to stick around

Android Oreo 8.1

I have a Pixel 2Xl and see from the OS Update Schedule maintained by Rogers that 8.1 is available now for my phone. I don't have the update (it still says I'm running 8.0 with the November security patch) and I've tried "checking for updates", which does nothing. 

I know I can sideload it, but I'm curious as to what's going on?

nogspena
I'm here a lot

Just received my update through my Pixel 2. Tapped for update and it finally showed up. Size is 522 mb. downloading now and installing. Smash away on the button it's been released

Just installed, everything is working as intended on my device at least. MMS works and and receiving texts. Camera HAL HDR+ option in the developers options can be manually turned on now. Works flawlessly, if you thought the camera was good before wait till you turn on the option.

Sony X Performance Oreo

hi, i kept on tracking the OS Schedule update and i see that the Sony X Performance 8.0 has been pushed back once already and today is past the 2nd release date. Can anyone chime in a better date? are there problems with it?

thanks for your time.

IainS
I plan to stick around
If it is anything like the monthly android security patch release on Rogers we will be waiting a very long time for an actual full blown OS update for devices from Samsung and LG and the likes. What i find interesting is there is no carrier testing on Apple devices, those updates are issued directly from Apple on the day that Apple releases them, why do carriers treat android so differently and have to test for months before releasing???

Hello @IainS!

Please understand that we do not treat Apple differently than Android. iOS is inherently different than Android OS.

One is a walled garden (Apple) while the other is open source (Android). 

Apple has chosen to maintain control over their updates, sending users updates OTA at their own volition. Meanwhile, Android has many different versions and some manufacturers do not opt for direct updates like Apple does. Some phones have this feature, such as the Google Pixel however! In situations where updates are not directly pushed by the manufacturer, pushing the updates becomes our responsibility but then, so too does ensuring functionality of that update on our network.

Since we do not develop these updates, we do not have the capability of quickly patching any issues that arise if we do not thoroughly test it first. Could you imagine the chaos if we pushed an update that impaired your Android phone on our network? Rolling back an update is not an easy task. Apple can issue hotfixes immediately OTA if there's problems with their OS.

If immediate access to updates is a make or break feature for you, I would recommend buying a device where the manufacturer handles the updates directly in the future. I know it is for me! Which is one of the reasons why I'm still sticking with an iPhone.

Should you need any help in selecting a device that meets all your needs, we'd be more than happy to help 🙂

PM us @CommunityHelps at anytime! If you're not familiar with how to PM, please follow this link for instructions: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/535

Regards,

RogersCorey

IainS
I plan to stick around

that's all fine and dandy but Rogers are extremely slow as with most carriers to push out specifically Monthly Android security updates. All rogers phones LG and Samsung are still on the November update and seem to treat these security updates the same way as a full OS update. Rogers needs to find a different way of pushing out these security updates to devices, being 3 months behind in critical security updates is not acceptable to me as a long time Rogers customer.

specialmka
I've been around

Android 8.0 Oreo as been available from months from other cariers ,

come on rogers get with the program and release it already! 

Scionergy
I plan to stick around
My Galaxy S8 is still running 7.0 and my Motorola Moto Z is running 7.1.1.. meanwhile, 8.1 is now out, and 8.0 has been out since sometime in September - very very slow... I'm thinking it's time to ditch both and get a Pixel 2 XL

IainS
I plan to stick around
Samsung have not released Oreo yet, they have just finished up their beta testing, should be release by them in the first couple of weeks of feb, so after Rogers test it we may see it by May.

ReignArmy
I've been around
Just sideload it , I did on my s8 plus with g995u off XDA; stop waiting on Roger's they are useless and the sideload is offical

Anso
I'm here a lot

can't remember where i saw it but maybe rogers might give some in sight to this info, 8.0 maybe here between march 2-9

Scionergy
I plan to stick around

Ditched the S8 for the Pixel 2 XL, loving it so far... Samsung just takes far too long to release updates - Google guarantees first line updates for next 3 years!

Many people experiencing the dreaded swipe to answer bug... I discovered that when I'm using Nova Launcher, it has by default "swipe up for App Drawer" this seems to interfere with swipe up to answer - setting the Nova Launcher Swipe Up gesture to None fixed this for me.

SwordFish99
I plan to stick around

I've been running it on my Note 8 for a couple of weeks now and I think most people will be disappointed by it. Although there are a few cool features added, it doesn't appear to be much different than Nougat. The one thing I have noticed is that battery life appears to be better.

IainS
I plan to stick around

Samsung has paused the Oreo update for the S8 and S8+ as a reboot loop bug was found, they havent continued with the update as of yet. So expect more delays on this being rolled out by Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ IainS

Yes that is correct. I was reading that yesterday. That's good that they paused it to fixed that bug. However knowing the carriers, it will be a bigger delay for the release.

IainS
I plan to stick around
Samsung has now restarted the Oreo update for the S8 and S8+, but as with carriers being involved here it will take some time for Rogers to push this out, if it takes them nearly 2 months to push out a security update we will be waiting some time.

IainS
I plan to stick around

Just remember if you do go thru the route of updating these phones using the 950U or 955U from XDA, you will have to revert back to Rogers stock rom that is Nougat to be able to officially update to oreo when rogers does get around to releasing it. I am running BRA8 Orea update on my note for the 950U model and it is running great no issues the only problem you will have is if you use wifi calling.

Topic Stats