cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9 (PIE)

BatJoe
I plan to stick around

Google has officially released Android 9 (PIE). And big surprise, Rogers is behind on releasing the August security patch and Android 9 (PIE). Their useless OS Upgrade sheet has nothing.

What's going on Rogers?

***Added Labels***

90 REPLIES 90

Re: Android 9 (PIE)

Hello @claven2 & @Ashwinmkumar,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your posts! 

I can understand how important it is to get the newest Android version on your devices. I am excited for the rollout of PIE as well! 

There is a rather intensive process involved for any OS update to ensure it works properly on our Network. The last thing we would want is to roll out an update that causes an issue on your device. You can see the details of the process by Clicking Here.

Once we have a new update we will ensure the OS Upgrade Schedule is updated accordingly. 

Thanks for your patience and for keeping the Community a pleasant place to be.

RogersTony

Condotta1
I plan to stick around

@RogersTony Thank you for the response. As much as i would like to see the rollout a.s.a.p i can appreciate your concerns and will wait patiently. 

FYI, and for what its worth. (I know there are probably many units running PIE on the Rogers network right now but) One of 3 units on my plan received the update while travelling in the U.S. recently and has been working without any issues at all for 2 weeks +/-. 

daniel10
I plan to stick around
I've been running pie on my Roger's S9+ for about two months no and no major issues. Just Google how or go to XDA its super easy and everything works. No sense waiting for slow Canadian carriers

claven2
I plan to stick around
I appreciate your response, though I would also appreciate if Rogers kept your published roadmap up to date.

As I look at it now, I'm led to believe there is nothing in the pipeline and the last update for any phone you were working on was delivered January 7th.

Some customer awareness of what's coming would be great for good will. Surely you are planning to release the January security update and pie updates on more phones than just the huawei mate 20 and the google pixel.

For that matter, the December android update would be appreciated on your samsung phones like the s9, s9+ and note 9. Not everyone wants a huawei or iphone.

johnx65
I plan to stick around

i completely agree. even though the deployment may be a few weeks (months) away, it would be nice to have a general date to look forward too. Somebody @rogers should be keeping this updated with a little more regualarly, with current info.

Ashwinmkumar
I've been here awhile

Weeks? You are being overly optimistic. They hve updated the schedule today until Feb 4th and S9 is not there.

It will take them a while to add all the useless stuff that they need to add into the update before they send it out to us. All that testing is to make sure users get the worst possible experience as possible.

Feralcat
I plan to stick around
What's Pathetic is the S10 is slated for the first quarter of this year and you can be guaranteed we won't have the Android Pie update for our S9s. Canadian companies really do treat their customers like dirt but love ripping us off.

claven2
I plan to stick around
Unless you buy the google pixel, huawei phones that may be spying on you if you believe the security agencies, or an iphone, it feels like Rogers doesn't prioritize updates.

My last phone was a oneplus and updates came OTA direct from the manufacturer. I got updates the day they were released internationally. Since moving to a Roger's samsung phone in November, I haven't had an update of any kind yet. Not even a security patch.

I've bought my last canadian samsung phone, I think.

kavkaz
I plan to stick around

Just buy s10 and you are done. Don't have to worry about Rogers updating sw 8 months after its released. Where is project treble? What happened?

claven2
I plan to stick around

Hmm... buy a new S10 when I only got an S9+ in November... you sure you don't work for rogers? Not sure how many ppl change out their phone every 3 months just to get the latest security patches and OS tweaks, but I'm not one of them.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @kavkaz

Not everyone has $1,500 laying around every 6 months or so for a new phone you know.

OS Updates are meant to keep a phone up to date with current software and security patches. Just like the Pixel and iPhone which get the updates. Apple did the best thing which most manufactures can't do. Have the OS software updates be installed straight from Apple.

claven2
I plan to stick around
Well that's perplexing. The s8 series is getting a security patch tomorrow, while the s9 series has not been updated since November, 2 android security updates ago.

These sequencing decisions just don't make any sense to me.

Ashwinmkumar
I've been here awhile
You seem to be making one small mistake, thinking logically. You have no evidence that people at Roger's have that capability.

I've seen the update rolled out through other carriers when is PIE expected from Rogers? They don't specify the S9+ on their update schedule.

@daniel10. Could you briefly tell us how you did it? Where did you find the zip file for SM-G965W? Did it affect the Knox?

wungun
I plan to stick around
Rogers has been sitting on build CSAA (FOTA) for S9+ for 2 weeks now...
CSA7 ended up on Verizon servers but didn't push OTA for some reason, and S9 firmware was pulled.
It would seem Pie is final in the US (and probably Canada too) so now we wait for the carriers...
Not holding my breath

Feralcat
I plan to stick around
And this is what these companies call providing utmost customer service. We need to be allowed to have more companies in Canada besides the big three who control everything and rip us off.

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

I was just curiously reading this thread and then went to the OS upgrade schedule.  It is now indicated that the S9 and + will receive Pie on feb 14 for Valentine's day!  

wungun
I plan to stick around
February 11th is what I see for the S9's

kavkaz
I plan to stick around
Fyi I was totally sarcastic about new phone..

As for update Monday it's coming to note 9

cafekief
I'm an enthusiast

When would the LG V30 get Android pie (9.0)?

Topic Stats