cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 7.0 Nougat Updates

HakimG
I've been around

Does anyone know when the Android 7.0 Nougat update will be available to phones like the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge?

163 REPLIES 163

Re: Android 7.0 Nougat Updates

LordZog
I plan to stick around

Got the nougat update for the Note 5.. Not sure if this is a bug or a faulty device thats showing itself now, but since the update (Updated at 6:05am), I've had to reboot 4 times due to modem loosing connectivity to data services.

The device was factory restored after the first 2 reboots but still happening.. Anyone else have this issue?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @addios

Who knows but the update is out!

Arkdom
I plan to stick around
There are many issues with android 7.0 update in S7 and S7E. Android 6.0.1 was the most stable and best android OS. I wish I could role back my devices. Use caution when deciding to upgrade the notes.

addios
I'm here a lot
Did the update as hour ago. Everything working fine for me

rzanatta
I plan to stick around
I can leave the home and when I return it won't always connect to my home WiFi. This started happening right after Nougat update.

Battery life is worse - Chrome browser uses more battery.

mm20
I've been here awhile

Anyone else having MAAAJOR issues since this update? I wonder how many of these are Rogers specific? 

- TONS of dropped calls. My Note 5 never had these before. Ever. Now happens 3-4 times daily

- GONE is the handy mobile hotspot toggle in the "top-down" quick access menu. (THIS IS ROGERS SPECIFIC build, I think)

- Lots of wifi issues

- Battery drains like crazy. 

Feel sad that a few extra pretty little fonts are breaking the best phone I ever owned... hope there is some Rogers help on this... 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @mm20

The battery draining I doubt it's Rogers. Rogers has nothing to do with the OS or how the apps work or drain the battery. This is a OS issue and we aren't the only ones. Alot in the US are reporting the same.

Same with the Toggle for mobile. That is having issues in the US as well.. Forums in the US are having major reports from thousands saying the same. It seems that Samsung agreed with the carriers to remove it OR Samsung removed it completely for whatever reason it may be. Again Rogers has no control over the toggles unless they ask the manufacturer and they get the go ahead to do so.

The dropped calls I can see it being both Rogers and Samsung causing the issues. Most likely the update isn't working wellwith the signals and causing this. Only Rogers can explain this.

robertz
I plan to stick around
My issues after the Nougat update:
Sometimes WiFi doesn't automatically reconnect to my home network.
Noticably worse battery life, with battery stats not indicating what is consuming battery life.

The update did toggle some settings, so I've been going through and disabling ones that can cause battery drain but it's still not nearly as good as Marshmallow.

mm20
I've been here awhile
Hey, thanks fo replying but to be clear every carrier changes the release so that they can monitor the devices and also to "brand" the release.
When they do this they also tweak certain items in the build.
For example, removing the quick access mobile hotspot toggle is Rogers specific. Other carriers have note 5 where this is still there in the pull down.
Anyway, the question is this: when do we get our fixes? (S8s and S7s at some carriers are already receiving patches. )
Cheers mm

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @mm20

Again on S7 devices it seems to have been removed even with the US carriers. It was never included on thr Note 7 either from the start. So this i doubt is a Rogers thing if other carriers with S7, Note 7 ( before the recall) and S8 devices do not have it in Canada and the US. My coworker was in Florida last week and when he got his hands on a S7 edge and S8+ they did not have the toggles on them and it was from Verizon and the other one from T-Mobile. So all I am saying is that maybe this is a control from Samsung instead of the carriers Unless the carriers request to remove it all at once.

The S8 and S8+ is receiving a patch to do with the red tint that many are reporting including my self so Samsung is sending out this patch without carriers touching it. As for the S7 patches and fixes, that's something I guess that isn't important like the S8 issue so the carriers are the ones that can release them but to be honest, u won't get the answer u are looking for. Remember this is a peer to peer forum so whatever information we know, u know as well.

mm20
I've been here awhile
Appreciate the info

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @mm20

In the end, I agree the fixes need to be sent out and fixed ASAP.. As of when? That's anyone's guess at this point. The reason the S8 got it's patches quickly was one for the bixby button not to be remapped and the red tint issues which both are due to Samsung's faulting ( as per them saying they do not want the bixby button remapped and the huge issue with the red tint on the screens). So they by pass the carriers and release those updates but I'm pretty sure we will be last to get that too.

The S7 and S7 edge have had alot of issues and it seems the carriers and Samsung Canada are taking their time to release the fix for them.. Why? Again it's anyone's guess. Sadly we as customers have to deal with this and we shouldn't but it's still happening. Even buying a Pixel devices does not guarantee u will get the patches and security updates straight from Google on time.

A_Visitor
I plan to stick around
I apologize in advance if I am off topic. Can anyone advise if I need to keep the SIM card in to receive OTA Android update on my Galaxy S6 Edge (which starts today)? MY SIM is in the new S8. Thanks!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A_Visitor

I believe you need to have the device working on the Rogers network to get some updates but OTA software updates come via WiFi as well.

A_Visitor
I plan to stick around
Thanks Meowmix!
Rogers is rolling out the Android 7 update today to S6 and S6 Edge. I have a Rogers locked S6 Edge without the SIM, does that mean I can still update the OS through wifi?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A_Visitor

You sold get it OTA without the sim card but do remember that the updates are in stages being sent out. So u might not get it today but get it tomorrow.

A_Visitor
I plan to stick around
Excellent! You're the best Meowmix!!

dspec
I plan to stick around

Hi - the softwar update thread shows that the s6 Edge + has gotten nouget. My phone isn't seeing it, any suggestions on how I can force this?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @dspec

Unfortunately you can't force the update to come through unless I believe Uou root your device and use Odin.

robertz
I plan to stick around
Do you have a download link for the S6 firmware?

dspec
I plan to stick around
Is there a reason you know of why a phone wouldn't have gotten the upgrade yet? It seems weird it hasn't been pushed to me.