cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 7.0 Nougat Updates

HakimG
I've been around

Does anyone know when the Android 7.0 Nougat update will be available to phones like the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge?

163 REPLIES 163

Re: Android 7.0 Nougat Updates

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@TeDD13 VoLTE is a great feature, I hope Rogers enables it for more phones in the future, along with WiFi calling which made a huge difference for me. I'm on an iPhone and get VoLTE and WiFi calling.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

All iPhones get them ( iPhone 6 and up only). Even if they are unlocked. The problem is the carriers and manufacturers agree to have her carriers control the updates for this. So the carriers can release the WiFi Calling and VOLTE Whenever they want.

I do hope Rogers does indeed finally update its fleet with both WiFi Calling and VOLTE so that way no one has to wait! Plus they removed Rogers One Number so hopefully they bring out WiFi Calling for all devices.

Sony x performance nougat update - So it said on the site that it would be available February 8th. Going on 10 days and still haven't received an update? Anybody else get the update yet, I always feel that they announce the release date but the actual device won't get it for almost another 2 weeks...

You should not be in a hurry because Rogers is the worst Canadian Carrier when it comes to Android updates. They are notoriously slow. Their weak software development team should get inspired from their great customer service team! Maybe manage should make it a priority before frustrating customers and loosing them to Telus and Bell.

TeDD13
I'm a trusted contributor
I have an Xperia X Performance and got android 7 update on Feb 8. If your phone was purchased from Rogers and wasn't rooted, you should have received an update by now.

Hi Tedd13. Thank you for your reply.

I have a Galaxy S6 baught from Rogers, not rooted, Android 6.0.1 and automatic updated on. When I click on manual update it says latest version installed.

Rogers is typically the last Canadian carrier, I am not sure why you think they would do better this time? Sorry if I do not have your confidence in them but their track record sucks when it comes to Android updates!

Penae2
I'm here a lot
No my phone isn't rooted. I recieved my phone through sony, but I am a Rogers customer. Still haven't received anything and at my store I work at the Sony experia x hasn't recieved the update either?

When you buy your phone from Sony, the update comes from them but when you buy it from Rogers, they modify it to add their marketing stuff that you cannot uninstall and they disable the update from the manufacturer so your updates become captive from them. Unless you root it. They can only do this on Android phones because Apple doesn't accept that they mess with their OS!

TeDD13
I'm a trusted contributor
Oh, if you didn't buy your phone from Rogers you cannot expect an update pushed to your phone. Rogers only pushes updates to phones which are locked to them and were bought from them.

In your case, if you got a phone from Sony you should get support and updates from Sony directly.

That explains one thing, but I work at a Rogers store. The phone model there is a Rogers phone and it still hasn't had the update pushed to their device. So there's obviously a delay or something wrong with the update management. My phone was given to me by sony because I am an android ambassador. But I'm sure it's locked to Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @TeDD13

Thats only for Android / Windows phones. Apple iPhones do not have to wait and get it straight from Rogers. It seems this will go on for a while as the carriers rather have control of the updates with Android. Apple forced carriers to not touch the updates and let Apple control the updates. That's how it should be with all carriers and all OS systems but yea.

I have a Sony Xperia X and it's factory unlocked straight from Sony ( got it as a gift during Christmas from Sony as i worked for them). It received the update without any issues. I wonder what's up.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Penae2 

@Penae2 wrote:
That explains one thing, but I work at a Rogers store. The phone model there is a Rogers phone and it still hasn't had the update pushed to their device. So there's obviously a delay or something wrong with the update management. My phone was given to me by sony because I am an android ambassador. But I'm sure it's locked to Rogers.

Where are you located, the updates are pushed out in phases, perhaps your location is the issue.

Penae2
I'm here a lot
Yes I understand that, but I'm sure the phone in my store which Is a demo unit from Rogers. Still didn't get an update, I know mine is from Sony itself but it still seems that not everyone has the update with Rogers. There was an article saying that literally 1% of ppl have started using nougat. Which means not everyone is getting the push for the software

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

While it works like that, normally eveyone should have gotten the update a week or so within the release.

Fast forward today when I went to the Rogers store underneath the Rogers head office in Toronto. The demo units have yet received the update and the store manager said there is a delay with the update it seems. ( Don't known how reliant that is).

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Penae2

Yes that is correct. I went to the Rogers store underneath the Rogers head office today and they haven't received the update on their demo units and one rep which has the device straight from Rogers still hasnt received it. No one here neither us RE know the reasons behind this. It's all up to the Rogers management at head office and the development team.

Usually as i explained many times before the update gets pushed out in phases but being a city as Toronto and their store underneath the Rogers head office still hasn't received it has made thinking here.

Guys, please look at the Rogers website and you will see that they are still incapable to even give a release date. No one got from Rogers yet.
Rogers people monitoring this thread, please prove me wrong and give us the release date!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @andrepgmp

That means nothing. The thread doesn't always get update as quick as many think.

Some with the Sony Xperia X got the update meanwhile others have not. Also depends on which device u are speaking about.

To my point they will put the date after they get the update working because they have no schedule and update team is disorganized. Properly run update teams have release dates. Only Sony devices baught direct got it. Roger is still trying to figure it out. I defy them to prove me wrong and give us a release date for your experia or my S6 .

That's wrong, for starters mine is direct from Sony. I was one of there ambassadors. My point being that I'm surprised Rogers would get the push for nougat over sony having it before a carrier. 2nd I do agree that even though it states that the update has been released I find that not every phone gets an update within a week of saying it's available. My Sony I believe is locked to Rogers, the conditions were that I have a Rogers account unless, they gave it to me unlocked. Would be nice to know

Bernatchez
I've been here awhile

Same old story than with Marshmallow when we had to wait more than 6 months with a "Coming soon" inscription on the upgrade schedule. "Soon" doesn't have the same meaning for Rogers I guess. Good luck for Nougat !

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Bernatchez

While that is true, it does state " Making sure these dates are accurate is our top priority, Sometimes things change beyond our control so all dates listed are subject to change. "

So that does mean also that any little changes or anything they find right before it gets released will pushed back the update.

For the update that took almost 6 months alot was going on it seemed.