cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 7.0 Nougat Updates

HakimG
I've been around

Does anyone know when the Android 7.0 Nougat update will be available to phones like the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge?

163 REPLIES 163

Re: Android 7.0 Nougat Updates

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @d_tomilson

Which device do u have?

d_tomilson
I've been here awhile

S7 Edge, 128GB SDXC card. Wife has an S7 with 128GB SDXC card too.

We are looking to have Nougat. 😛

d_tomilson
I've been here awhile

Maybe Rogers will allow us to use the FM chip too? 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @d_tomilson

They haven't said when that will come out yet. As for the FM chip. That may not happen anytime soon. The manufacturers and carriers need to agree to this.

johnx65
I plan to stick around

i am not sure why Rogers doesn't have the S7 or S&E listed in the upgrade list.

the BET is on whether the upgrade or the S8 comes first now...

bottleb
I plan to stick around
Yeah well software testing is highly classified you know.....🙃

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @johnx65

While Samsung did release Nougat 7.0 to the unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge and to the carriers January 17th,year doesn't mean we will get it now. Remember Rogers took almost a year to release the update to the S6 last year. So again it seems to be the testing, waiting period and if a new security update comes within them testing this update, they push it back and out eveything together. That's what I dnotice .

" Android 7.0 Nougat will be expanded to additional countries on the following devices within the first half of this year: Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge and S6 edge Plus, Galaxy Note5, Galaxy Tab A with S Pen, Galaxy Tab S2 (LTE unlock), Galaxy A3, and Galaxy A8."

o3mta3o
I've been here awhile
Because Rogers only talks the talk, not walks the walk.
If there is anything new please expect Rogers to be a good 6 months behind.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @o3mta3o

Most carriers delay the update for a reason. Unfortunately we won't know why they do this.

o3mta3o
I've been here awhile
It's definitely not for quality assurance, that's for sure.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @o3mta3o

Agreed but there is alot of testing happening. If Rogers bloatware doesn't work or can not work within the OS, They send back the update until it's fixed. That's for sure as HTC and Google showed that to everyone years ago.

Now I do hope updates start rolling out within the first couple of weeks or month but we shall see. They are starting to slowly.

ctatham
I plan to stick around

I can't believe the sparse nature of the official upgrade schedule you guys provide.  It may as well be a list of phones  and blank columns.  I would think there would be some sense for when Nougat is coming to a major phone like S7...heck even Fido says "coming soon".

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ctatham

Even though Fido ( Rogers sub brand) says " Coming Soon". It doesn't mean it's actually going to be released soon as the dates can change at any time. They removed that and added it back just 2 days ago. Rogers does their own software testing and provides a date when the update will come out. If they have yet started working on the update or something had stalled during this test time, they won't post a date or " Coming soon".

I do hope it comes out soon but I wouldn't be surprised if it came out late spring or mid spring unless somehow they provide it sooner.

AyyLmao
I've been here awhile

Waiting myself. Quite annoying its taking so long to come out. I'm sure if they release it now the pre installed Rogers bloatware will work just fine if that is what they are "testing"

robertz
I plan to stick around
S7 updated to coming soon, and Experia Z next week?

Good to know.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @AyyLmao

Again maybe something is happening on the back end causing delays but they never did put a date. Anyways it changed to " Coming Soon" on the OS Upgrade Schedule Thread.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @robertz

Yes that is correct! It's been update with the current update for us!:)

AyyLmao
I've been here awhile

Who knows how soon that is though, At least they said its coming soon.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @AyyLmao

Hopefully it comes soon. It took almost 6/7 months for the S6 to get Marshmallow when the update was first sent out. So hopefully this doesn't happen to the S7 with the update.

TeDD13
I'm a trusted contributor
Just got an android 7 today on my Xperia X. First thing I notice LTE reception greatly improved. I wasn't able to use LTE at all (Ottawa area) before due to very poor reception on Android 6. Also, Voice over LTE is now enabled. Feels like a brand new phone with this update.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @TeDD13

Glad to hear you got it!!! Enjoy 🙂