cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T LG V20 will not Update to Android Oreo 8.0

Aetius
I've been here awhile

Bought a AT&T-branded unlocked LG V20 from B&H Online store...been using it on Rogers since Dec ... but it's not receiving the newly released Android Oreo 8.0 update. I've even tried using LG Bridge to update the software but it says "cannot check for update". The phone is unlocked...but it has a Rogers SIM card in it. Won't it receive the OTA update?

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: AT&T LG V20 will not Update to Android Oreo 8.0

BS
I'm a senior advisor

There are discussions on Redit about this topic and over the air updates - In the US, LG started pushing out updates, irrespective of what carrier you were with, and others speak of having to put an AT&T sim in one time to get the update as it started as an AT&T IMEI, even though unlocked.

Others speak of the issue of US carrier unlocked phones in other countries of the world with mixed success and issues, but I haven't seen any discussion about how it impacts Canadian users. A general search of the Internet, I did not find responses about your specific issue with other than this one

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-8-0-update-784308/

This site speaks to the timing of Oreo updates and for Canada was stated to be August 8th, 2017.

But note this:

"As with older versions, the update to Android 8.0 Oreo has been released by Google, but many factors influence its actual availability. First and foremost, your manufacturer and carrier (in case you own a carrier version) control when your phone will get Oreo.  (my comment:  Since the moderator spoke to rogers not supporting updates on non-rogers purchased phones - I would expect this implies that you would not get an update from Rogers over the air. I am only guessing here, but suspect the only options would be using an AT&T SIM to connect,  and this reference on LG Software update page - NOTICE: LG does not provide Mobile Device Software Updates from lg.com. Mobile service providers deliver software updates Over-the-Air. to  Other factors are your specific model, your location in the world, and whether you bought the device unlocked or through a carrier.

Just because your specific phone or tablet is not on the list, it doesn’t mean it won’t get the Oreo update. The opposite is also true. We make efforts to collect accurate information for all manufacturers, but mistakes happen – if you spot one, let us know."

There may be a way to get at it, but not something I have tried, so really don't know.  This is the challenge of unlocked phones - the reality that when it comes to many brands of devices and updates, as well as full functionality, the providers hold a lot of power over whether we can access updates. 

It seems that the only way you can get at the update is to (as posted by a user on the AT&T site), you must be on the AT&T network, with an AT &T SIM. 

Any other experiences that people have had??  Or is this just the reality of the control that some Android device manufacturers give to the carriers.  There are some exceptions to updates for some manufacturers (Chome Pixel, Blackberry, I think - any others for people who wish to have access to updates on unlocked phones as a purchase decision?)

Bruce

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RogersAli
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Aetius

Welcome to the Community 🙂

Great to hear you got the LG V20, how are you liking the phone so far? I've heard great things about it. At this time updates for Non-Rogers devices are not supported. It might be best if you contact the manufacturer for further assistance. 

RogersAli 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

There are discussions on Redit about this topic and over the air updates - In the US, LG started pushing out updates, irrespective of what carrier you were with, and others speak of having to put an AT&T sim in one time to get the update as it started as an AT&T IMEI, even though unlocked.

Others speak of the issue of US carrier unlocked phones in other countries of the world with mixed success and issues, but I haven't seen any discussion about how it impacts Canadian users. A general search of the Internet, I did not find responses about your specific issue with other than this one

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-8-0-update-784308/

This site speaks to the timing of Oreo updates and for Canada was stated to be August 8th, 2017.

But note this:

"As with older versions, the update to Android 8.0 Oreo has been released by Google, but many factors influence its actual availability. First and foremost, your manufacturer and carrier (in case you own a carrier version) control when your phone will get Oreo.  (my comment:  Since the moderator spoke to rogers not supporting updates on non-rogers purchased phones - I would expect this implies that you would not get an update from Rogers over the air. I am only guessing here, but suspect the only options would be using an AT&T SIM to connect,  and this reference on LG Software update page - NOTICE: LG does not provide Mobile Device Software Updates from lg.com. Mobile service providers deliver software updates Over-the-Air. to  Other factors are your specific model, your location in the world, and whether you bought the device unlocked or through a carrier.

Just because your specific phone or tablet is not on the list, it doesn’t mean it won’t get the Oreo update. The opposite is also true. We make efforts to collect accurate information for all manufacturers, but mistakes happen – if you spot one, let us know."

There may be a way to get at it, but not something I have tried, so really don't know.  This is the challenge of unlocked phones - the reality that when it comes to many brands of devices and updates, as well as full functionality, the providers hold a lot of power over whether we can access updates. 

It seems that the only way you can get at the update is to (as posted by a user on the AT&T site), you must be on the AT&T network, with an AT &T SIM. 

Any other experiences that people have had??  Or is this just the reality of the control that some Android device manufacturers give to the carriers.  There are some exceptions to updates for some manufacturers (Chome Pixel, Blackberry, I think - any others for people who wish to have access to updates on unlocked phones as a purchase decision?)

Bruce

shagunrai
I've been around

Unlocked AT&T branded US phone I'm using on Rogers in Toronto - 8.0 Oreo not showing up

Hi everyone!

So I got the LG V20 unlocked from B&H in NYC (online). It's been working great on the Rogers network since December. But now that the Oreo update is finally out for the V20, I was wondering why I still haven't received the update. I tried the update setting on the phone...nothing. Then I tried LG Bridge on two different PCs and Macs and it simply gives an error message and doesn't find any update.

Any tricks to spur on this update?

Aetius
I've been here awhile

Thank you so much for that detailed reply! Appreciate it 🙂 I've come to the same conclusion...that I would have to be inside the AT&T US network with an AT&T SIM to get the OTA update. No idea when I'll be able to do that so I've settled for just keeping 7.0 for now and will eventually move to a V30 that I bought directly from Rogers. Pity because the V20 is a wonderful phone and 8.0 Oreo must be great on it! 

Aetius
I've been here awhile
The V20 is a truly unique phone! I wish more phones resembled the V20 and not the notch/side glass silliness that is rampant now.

Looks like being in the AT&T US network with a AT&T sim is the only way to get the OTA update.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation