ANDROID "STAGEFRIGHT" VULNERABILITY - SECURITY PATCH RELEASE DATE???

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: ANDROID "STAGEFRIGHT" VULNERABILITY - SECURITY PATCH RELEASE DATE???

Let me guess. The date "September 16th" for the Z3 is only for an unlocked phone on the Roger's network. This company is so transparent with their customers, I don't like the idea of putting an exact date as to when you will get an update and not receive that update. Why not include details like...for unlocked phones only you will receive this patch on September 16th? Or coming soon if they know it's not going to be released the day of.

I understand there is alot involved in getting these updates ready to send out but why can't we ever get specific details about who will be getting them first? In my opinion you should all be getting an update at the same time regardless of having a phone locked or unlocked on the Roger's network.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining but this update was supposed to be released on September 16th. Can I please get some sort of eta, even if it's not ready yet. I'm sure some moderator or someone on the forums has something to contribute with this topic. My security and everyone else's should be a priority. Why put an exact date and not follow through? It doesn't make sense. Just some sort of response would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm being ignored from previous posts 😞

Highlighted

Good evening @zeroz3hereo,

We apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

We are working with our OEM partners and try to post the most up-to-date information, however, things sometimes change beyond our control and the dates provided in August were subject to change.

We are very sorry you are feeling this way, and will provide you with further information as soon as it is available.

Have you taken a look at this post, to see how you can protect yourself.

RogersMaude

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. Yes I know about the precautions to take already. But thanks soo much for the reply...cheers 😉
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMaude

Just wondering if you have heard anything yet about an update.

Currently Sony has released their newest update which doesn't address stagefright at all, in fact it makes the phones completely vulnerable now and only fixes a few minor bugs. Please tell me Roger's is not going to push that update on it's customers and call it "the fix", that would be horrible lol.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @zeroz3hereo

I don't think Rogers will do that unless Sony gives them a new update with the patch.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

Do you knowanything, or have you heard anything from sources about updates? I'm just curious because it still say
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Says September 16th on the main thread.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@RogersMaude

You have mentioned a post to "protect" ourselves. Are you saying that following the steps described in the post will prevent any possibility of our devices being comprised as a result of the StageFright vulnerability?
Highlighted

Good evening @axium,

Sorry for the late reply.

The Stagefright Vulnerability has been identified and can potentially allow access to multimedia files by receiving malicious MMS. It may be contained in the “Stagefright” media playback engine. The malicious code could take over instantly, the moment the malicious message is received.

In order to protect yourself, you can disable the auto-playing feature for MMS messages on your device for your Text Messaging Apps. For more information on preventive measures, check out this post ! Smiley Wink

Hello again @zeroz3hereo,

I'm truly sorry but we have not yet been provided with an updated release date for the Stagefright security patch for your device. As soon as it becomes available we will update the original thread. I can definitely understand the inconveniences.

RogersMaude