4G LTE not working on Samsung s6

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

4G LTE not working on Samsung s6

So I recently bought an unlocked Samsung S6, inserted my sim card and started everything fine.

Whenever I'm on my phone, I can only seem to get 3G (as thats the only symbol at the top)

Ive tried all the different APN settings and cannot seem to get connected to 4G. I know I am in 4G coverage as my relatives phone beside mine is on LTE with rogers as well.

Any help to the why this is happening would be appreciated. Just spent a good chunk of money on a new phone and cant seem to get the fast speeds it is capable of. 

Model: SM-G920W8

Android Lollipop 5.0.2

Originally the phone was from Wind Mobile.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: 4G LTE not working on Samsung s6

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Check out this How To's on APN setting here and see if that would be helpful with the correct settings for your device.

Let us know if have any other questions.

@RogersPrasana

I've Been Here Awhile

All those settings are currently in my phone, but still only have 3G.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hello @braydonwoodbeck
I figured as much that APN you got correctly as @RogersPrasana suggested.

VERY silly question... (but Important)
Is your LTE on? x__x
Under Settings. Go to More Networks. Then go into Mobile Networks and under Network Mode. Chose GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto Connect).
It probably is on GSM only or HSPA only.
That what causes the issue.
Cause i assume your APN is already LTE.

Tell me if this resolves it.
It should reset data after you do that, if it doesn't power cycle or airplane mode on then off and test.
Tell me if this helps...

Like if it helped
Mark as Solution if I solved it for you
Thanks 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

I have three settings on my phone:

WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) --- currently selected

WCDMA only

GSM only

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @braydonwoodbeck

Unfortunately your S6 is NOT compatible with Rogers LTE services. You will be stuck on 3G. That is why the settings the above Rogers reps are giving you aren't working.

There isn't anything you can do in the settings to change it. It's the chip inside. Wind devices don't work with Rogers LTE services.

In order to get LTE speeds and LTE services, you need the SM-G925W8.  That is the Rogers model that works for LTE. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix The SM-G920W8 is the Galaxy S6 model that rogers provides, SM-G925W8 is the S6 Edge he should be getting LTE, I got my S6 from the Rogers store and it is the SM-G920W8. So there is something else going on. More then likely some kind of software blocking it as the hardware for all S6's in Canada are the same.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Breadwinka

While that might be true, its a Wind device. Wind devices are always the same specs as Rogers devices ( frequencies). It could well be the software but there isn't any way of unblocking it to make it work.
I Plan to Stick Around

Power off device, take out sim and power on. Ignore the no Sim message and then boot in safe mode as below

How to boot in safemode:

Power off phone, let stand for 1 minute. Turn on the phone by pressing Power + Volume Down, once the screen lights up, you can release the Power button but keep holding Volume Down until you get to lockscreen. 

If succesful, you should see a Safe Mode stamp on the bottom left. Once that's done, try going into settings and see if the LTE is available in network mode. If not, try manually selecting Rogers as a network operator.

If all fails, boot back up normally and try changing CSC to Rogers. First get your IMEI and write it down by pressing *#06#, then press *#272*YOUR IMEI HERE# and click RWC and click Install. This will factory reset your phone so make sure to backup before.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@polishpat wrote:

Power off device, take out sim and power on. Ignore the no Sim message and then boot in safe mode as below

How to boot in safemode:

Power off phone, let stand for 1 minute. Turn on the phone by pressing Power + Volume Down, once the screen lights up, you can release the Power button but keep holding Volume Down until you get to lockscreen. 

If succesful, you should see a Safe Mode stamp on the bottom left. Once that's done, try going into settings and see if the LTE is available in network mode. If not, try manually selecting Rogers as a network operator.

If all fails, boot back up normally and try changing CSC to Rogers. First get your IMEI and write it down by pressing *#06#, then press *#272*YOUR IMEI HERE# and click RWC and click Install. This will factory reset your phone so make sure to backup before.

Forgot to mention to put your sim back in before booting in safemode