unwanted phone calls every day

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: unwanted phone calls every day

text messages, etc.. there are ways for some places to scam and charge stuff to you.

Phone calls though, there can be no charges, as long as you dont pick up the phone.. they can call you 1000% times, as long as you dont pick up... other than the annoyance.. it cant harm anything.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Are you referring to me Pauly? I downloaded iblacklist and used the trial on my iphone but never bought it. Instead I cancelled the cellphone.  You think I have to be affiliated with some app because I tell someone they can get a better call blocking service for $12 then they can paying Rogers $5.00 per month for the next year?

This is what drives me nuts about Canada.  There's always 10 people in line to defend the "powers that be" whenever people start grumbling and waking up.  The stuff that goes on here is unprecedented and yes it really bothers me! Especially when I see that it's not changing but in fact getting more and more blatant because these companies WILL NOT accept any kind of a loss of control.

I've Been Here Awhile

There is a company which calls on a regular basis - and which seems to be called Zed Solutions or something - they phone on a regular basis and and when you pick up, there is nobody on the line. They (looking on the internet) seem to target Rogers cellular customers, and this suggests that Rogers either sold or gave them the cellular numbers. They have also (because I have stopped picking up) left a voicemail (no voice message).

I have complained to Rogers without any relief, and have come to the point where my cellphone is switched off most of the time, I feel that I am being harassed, and have come to the conclusion that I would be better off at another provider.

I am gobsmacked that Rogers does not realize that they are alienating their customers and judging from the fact that this ? business partner is not offering any service (nobody on the line) , I have to wonder who in Rogers made the decision to go with this business partner. I own a significant (for me) amount of shares in Rogers and am perturbed that they have not fired whoever arranged this, or at the barest minimum cancelled their arrangement.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its quite possible that these are some 3rd party that rogers is using as a 'cold call' center for calling about promotions, etc.  I have not got one ever from them myself on my roger celular.. perhaps its some sort of 'flag' driven.. only if the account meet certain criteria, etc?

As for the no-one on the line, its likely the dialer system they are using.  (weither remotely, or in a call center, works the same)  The system has a list of the numbers it wants to call.
It dials out your number.  Once you have picked up, it goes out, and looks for the first available agent.  Now, if there are no agents free, it could leave you hanging or disconect then on you.

If you do answer it at some point, and do get a live person, ask for yourself to be removed from the list. 
If you havent already, make sure you sign up for the Do Not Call list.  Let them know that when you talk to them.  While they still can call you while on the DNC list, you can report them for every time they do after that, and they eat a fee.

Them being a 3rd party, they would be subject to the DNC list (compared rogers is ALLOWED to do solicitaion phone calls to you, since you are paying for a service from them).

I'm a Trusted Contributor

If you have signed up for the DNCL remember you have to re-register every five years.

If I am reading this correctly, I believe a company (Rogers) can hire a 3rd party to call on their behalf and be exempt from the Do Not Call list as long as they follow the DNCL rules.  Also many companys pose their calls as a survey, by asking if you are happy or have complaintgs about their product or service, befor they go to their sales push.

The exemptions include telemarketing calls made by, or on behalf of:   

• Canadian registered charities;
  • Political parties, riding associations and candidates; and
  • Newspapers of general circulation for the purpose of soliciting subscriptions.

Telemarketing calls from organizations with whom you have an existing business relationship are also exempt. You are considered to have an existing business relationship with a telemarketer if you:   

• Purchased, leased, or rented a product or service in the last eighteen (18) months from the telemarketer;
  • Have a written contract with the telemarketer for a service that is still in effect or expired within the last eighteen (18) months; and/or
  • Asked a telemarketer about a product or service within the last six (6) months.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/faqs-eng#tq_link03

There is a lot of information in the above link on the DNCL, who can call,how to make complaints about calls, rules for telemarketers etc. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, thats where i am not sure..  personaly, i would think, that while yes, they are calling ABOUT my rogers account.

Its not rogers that is calling me.. the registered company calling me, is not rogers.. so therfore they are exempt from being excluded.. thats at least my view on it.. would have to check with the DNCL to be sure.

I've Been Here Awhile

If I ignore the packages, every call I answer from a telemarketer generates $0.45 in revenue for Rogers on my cellphone, and at 20 or so telemarketer phone calls which theoretically could have generated $9.00 for Rogers and could suggest that it may be profitable for Rogers to ignore complaints about telemarketer calls.

In any event, the question is moot, I have cancelled my Rogers account. I refuse to subsidise Rogers' arrangement with a telemarketer. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's your call. Just remember, any telemarketer calls, you get on ANY provider, and you do answer, you could be charged for the airtime. Airtime is airtime regardless of who it is, it's your choice if you choose to answer and use that airtime.

I've Been Around

WHY DO I KEEP GETTING PHONE CALLS FROM THE U.S. REGARDING MY ACCOUNT AND SERVICES I TOLD THE FIRST PERSON NOT TO CALL BACK THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING