smartphone+no data plan question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

smartphone+no data plan question

Hello,

I currently have a basic phone with rogers and i'm paying about 40 dollars taxes included per month.  I want a smartphone, maybe Nexus 5, but don't need any data, I'll use wifi instead.  Can I buy this phone and insert the sim card from the basic phone I have now into the Nexus 5?  Is this possible and has anybody ever done this?  Thanks.

If the above isn't possible.  Can I use the Nexus 5 just as an internet browser via wifi without a cell phone plan.  Will wifi work on the phone without a sim card?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: smartphone+no data plan question

Hello shawnb44

If you buy the Nexus 5 outright from Google Play or Rogers outright OR from Kijiji / Craigslist, then yes you can. You can just simply add your sim card in the phone & you are on your way. Just make sure you turn on data all together so you do not get charged data.

If you are planning to upgrade your line, then you are going to need to get a data plan with your voice plan. I would highly suggest buying the device outright tho to save money.
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Meowmix,

Did you mean turn off data all together? Also, I contacted Rogers and said that I wanted the Nexus 5 without data plan and they said I had to get data plan to use the phone.  The person said that only some smartphones can be had without a data plan.  Can anybody confirm that I can use the Nexus 5 with a voice plan only and without a data plan?  Thanks.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello shawnb44

I meant mobile data. If u turn off mobile data in the settings, it will not allow you to go on thr Internet unless with WiFi or turning that on.

Also they are telling you this because they want to make a sell. If they force you to get a phone with a data plan then thats a sell for them. I know the tactics and sell terms they use.

My father is using a Nexus 5 without a data plan and is with Rogers. No issues whats so ever. There won't be a issue. Just turn off mobile data in the settings and you will be fine.
I've Been Here Awhile

Ok cool thanks. You sure responded quickly.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello shawnb44

You are welcome Smiley Happy
I've Been Around

um, ya, shawnb44 has no idea what he is talking about. You can't buy this phone without a data plan. You can buy the data plan and not use the data, with instructions given to you by shawnb44, but will still pay for them regardless how many you use or don't. You pay for the upper limit regardless. You will be limited to a few phones without a data plan and until recently, you couldn't even buy a smartphone without a plan.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello glggal

Wrong user name. Its me not Shawn.. Also That is not correct. Also you are wrong. You can buy the Nexus 5 from Google Play Outright and Rogers Outright. Once you u do, you can insert your sim card and turn off mobile data. Then no data will go though the phone and u can use it on WiFi for data. I am correct as my father is doing it that way. So the instructions i gave, are correct.

Also if you buy it Outright from Rogers, you can cancel the account right there and then and just pay the flextab fee. Once again call call Rogers or Google if u want the same answer i I am giving.....
I've Been Here Awhile

If i go to a rogers store or wireless wave store, would I be able to see what the display looks like for the Nexus 5. Can they power the phone on for me?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello shawnb44

Yes they can if they have one to do so. They should have one on display.