cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security breach?

Robbell
I plan to stick around

Just got an e-mail supposedly from Rogers. Anyone have any more info on it? Here's part of what it said. It also links to an offer from TransUnion. Is this e-mail legit?

"We are writing to inform you about a recent situation with a Rogers service provider that involves your account information.

What Happened?

On February 26, 2020, Rogers became aware that one of our external service providers had inadvertently made information available online that provided access to a database managed by the service provider. We immediately made sure the information was removed.

Rogers is also making complimentary credit monitoring service available to you through TransUnion for one year.  This includes:

• Daily access to your credit score on TransUnion’s website, as well as credit report monitoring and alerts of key changes
  • Monitoring hidden websites where personal information might be made available to unauthorized users
  • Up to $50,000 in fraud identify insurance should your information be compromised

***Edited Labels***

30 REPLIES 30

Re: security breach?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Robbell  @Webster01  @Kmm1  @miraclestone  @Dire  @sadsap  @hcashman  Just wondering... did you all receive a promotional gift card from "Rogers Promotions" when you signed up for a new Rogers service?

Kmm1
I've been here awhile

No

Kmm1
I've been here awhile

I called as well. Nothing to give me only that my name and address was breached. Nothing else could be provided about the situation.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kmm1 wrote:

I called as well. Nothing to give me only that my name and address was breached. Nothing else could be provided about the situation.

Ironic, isn't it, that they would provide us with a number to call to get additional information that refuses to provide us with any additional information.

hcashman
I've been here awhile

No I did not get a gift card. But I did recently switch my cable service to Rogers Ignite.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hcashman wrote:

No I did not get a gift card. But I did recently switch my cable service to Rogers Ignite.

Okay, thanks.  So much for that theory.  The info page did say, "Customer information that was used by the service provider to fulfill promotional offers on behalf of Rogers was included in the vendor database."

@CommunityHelps  At the very least, we're still entitled to know the name of this "service provider" and what the "promotional offer" was that we had been selected for.

I have an email chain going with Rogers privacy office. Honestly, I get the feeling they don’t care and aren’t in a position to provide the name of the 3rd party. It’s leaving a really bad taste in my mouth.

Any updates? I too have a chain of emails with Rogers. I haven't heard anything since the initial email and referring to the useless FAQ they provided.

IMO the use of customer information in this situation was probably not justified. That's probably why they won't divulge the vendor info.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Breached wrote:

Any updates? I too have a chain of emails with Rogers. I haven't heard anything since the initial email and referring to the useless FAQ they provided.

IMO the use of customer information in this situation was probably not justified. That's probably why they won't divulge the vendor info.

...or perhaps it was a Rogers subsidiary.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, saw in another thread that the www.rogerspromotions.com web site is currently offline.  This was the 3rd-party "service provider" who processed and sent out the promotional gift card that I received when I signed up for Ignite TV.  Not saying that it was them who was responsible for this incident but...  You can do a whois lookup online to see who owns the domain.

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 in conversation