cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security breach?

Robbell
I plan to stick around

Just got an e-mail supposedly from Rogers. Anyone have any more info on it? Here's part of what it said. It also links to an offer from TransUnion. Is this e-mail legit?

"We are writing to inform you about a recent situation with a Rogers service provider that involves your account information.

What Happened?

On February 26, 2020, Rogers became aware that one of our external service providers had inadvertently made information available online that provided access to a database managed by the service provider. We immediately made sure the information was removed.

Rogers is also making complimentary credit monitoring service available to you through TransUnion for one year.  This includes:

• Daily access to your credit score on TransUnion’s website, as well as credit report monitoring and alerts of key changes
  • Monitoring hidden websites where personal information might be made available to unauthorized users
  • Up to $50,000 in fraud identify insurance should your information be compromised

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: security breach?

RogersMoin

Hello, Community.

Thanks for checking with us. We take the protection of our customers’ personal information very seriously. Unfortunately, it’s a genuine communication. For more information, you can visit rogers.com/customer-notice.

Regards,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Webster01
I plan to stick around

Here in NB as well.  Ignite Customer.

Webster

@CommunityHelps comments and confirmation/denial please.

I assume many Rogers users will be receiving an email stating that their account information was breached in late Feb. Compensation of a free credit monitoring service isn’t going to cut it. I’m not happy and you guys need to own up to this serious event. I’ve been a customer for over two decades and I’ve poured thousands of dollars into big red only to receive this troubling news.

Kmm1
I've been here awhile

I just received it too. If this is true. How many customers are affected, and why so late in letting me know? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Who EXACTLY was the external party that published, leaked, and failed to protect sensitive Rogers customer information and why EXACTLY was it provided to them in the first place?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Webster01
I plan to stick around

The silence on this is deafening.

Webster

RogersMoin

Hello, Community.

Thanks for checking with us. We take the protection of our customers’ personal information very seriously. Unfortunately, it’s a genuine communication. For more information, you can visit rogers.com/customer-notice.

Regards,

RogersMoin

Unacceptable...a credit monitoring service isn’t going to cut it. I’m ready to cut the cord once and for all.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersMoin  Okay, but info page does not identify the negligent "external service provider" that was responsible for this debacle.  Also, the info page also starts off by saying, "This was limited to customer name, address, account number, email address and telephone number." but then mentions that wireless account information (or phone number) may have been compromised as well.

This is beyond unacceptable and I get the sense that the size and scope of the personal information leak has been understated significantly.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might be time for all affected to complain to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner to really determine just how big this was.  

https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/

Its beyond time for companies who leak customer data to be hit with huge fines.  That seems to be the only way to get their attention.  Until that happens, privacy breaches are essentially zero cost to the companies.  That needs to change. 

Already filed. 

Dire
I plan to stick around

what type of Mickey Mouse operation is Rogers running?! I just got the email from them, I then came here to check if it was legit. After figuring that out I went to access the free credit check but guess what? That got screwed up as well as the TransUnion website doesn’t recognize my login info for some reason. I’m angry and after an hour of wrestling with the free credit report website to no avail I’m close to enraged. Rogers inability to keep our information private should lead to legal action.

Unfortunately, you would have to cut the cord to EVERYTHING and not have accounts on anything.

With all accounting done on computers/servers.. even with the BEST security etc.. there is always a chance of a security breach, a mistake, etc.
(At my work, once in a blue moon the invoicing program screws up and get out of count.. and ends up sending invoice for company A to B, and B to C, etc.)
Bell had a data breach in 2018.
Heck Sony PSN had 3 breaches within a year.

Not trying to play this down at all.  Rogers needs to take this seriously.. and agreed should be stepping up the compensation, etc.
Just saying its not 100% avoidable, unless you want to be a hermit.

Hello @Dire,

Thank you for your post. 🙂

Sorry to hear of the troubles you are having with the TransUnion website at the moment.

Would you be able to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can look into this for you? For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Thank you kindly,

RogersLaura

sadsap
I've been around
I too have received one. Has there been a response from Rogers??

In the last few days I have had more spam text messages then I have in months is this a result of your breach???

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This story still has not received any coverage in the mainstream media although mobilesyrup.com did publish the following article this morning: https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/03/18/rogers-notifies-customers-their-personal-information-may-have-bee...

Their piece also said, "Some wireless account numbers were included in the vendor database. If a customer’s wireless account number was included, Rogers added a block to their account, which is called port protection, to prevent their phone number from being transferred to another carrier without their authorization."

iPhone in Canada has also published a piece as well: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-customers-name-address-exposed-online/

This is also being discussed on Reddit as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rogers/comments/fkgsxg/rogers_data_breach/

@CommunityHelps   I suppose that it is good that port protection has been implemented on some wireless accounts.  Is this only on Rogers wireless?  What about Fido customers?  If customers add an alternate wireless number to their accounts (to stop the Rogers web sites from harassing you every bleepin' time you log in) should we assume that our private wireless numbers have been compromised?

We were only told that "Customer information that was used by the vendor to fulfill promotional offers on behalf of Rogers was included in the database."  Which segment of Rogers customers had their personal information compromised?  I'm only an Ignite TV customer and I haven't been contacted by anybody for any promotion.  (And now I'll be especially leery of anybody contacting me claiming to be Rogers!)  My parents are Digital Cable-only customers and they were not impacted by this, so it does not seem be a campaign to convert legacy customers to Ignite TV or to up-sell them additional Rogers services.  Is it to advise customers that FTTH is coming soon?  Maybe... but that would also suggest that all Rogers customers in my area would be targeted, especially those using another Internet provider, and that doesn't seem to be the case either.

WHY, SPECIFICALLY, did this this external company have our data and what promotional offers were they working on?!?  (Please, DO NOT give me a garbage answer such as, "Rogers is working on many exciting promotions for our valued customers!")

At some point, this information will come out, whether it is though the media or the result of formal investigations by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and/or their Provincial counterparts and/or regulatory bodies such as the CRTC.  Rogers needs to get ahead of this and be completely honest and transparent with those customers who they have let down, especially at a time when there are already too many things to be stressed out about.

I’m afraid this significant privacy concern will be buried by all the Covid-19 news The timing of the release makes me wonder.

hcashman
I've been here awhile

Got the email last evening regarding the Rogers security breach. I phoned today and was given very little information or details. I was told to contact Rogers privacy office, but the supervisor would not provide a phone number. As a Rogers customer for many years I would appreciate some transparency in this matter!!! The email they sent out  was very vague. I expect this breach affected quite a number of accounts but they would not disclose this. 

I have filed a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. I suggest everyone who received the  email should file a complaint.  

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 in conversation