cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return a payment made to a wrong account

Maazu
I'm here a lot

I have rogers internet service and the payment I made recently got posted to a incorrect rogers account. I called customer service asking them to transfer or refund but to my disappointment they said the payment cannot be transferred to my Rogers account or credited back to the credit card. THIS IS RIDICULOUS that such a big company like Rogers cannot take care of this genuine customer request. Absolutely unacceptable.... the amount is close to $480 dollars ... huge .. Can anyone please advise me what can be done.
I have already contacted my credit card company and they said they cannot revert the payment as well.
My question to Rogers is how can a company big company like Rogers keep someone's money and gives some unacceptable reasons for not returning/refunding the money.

Very frustrated, with the way my concerns/request is being handled, the customer service has opened a request to the office of president but was told it may not be helpful. I am so much frustrated right now.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: return a payment made to a wrong account

Maazu
I'm here a lot
Finally. The office of president was able to resolve the issue and returned my payment. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

RogersZia

Good evening and welcome to the Community @Maazu,

Based on your post, I can see this has been a challenging experience for you. I realize the amount in question is quite significant.  Do you have more than one account with Rogers? If yes, then typically we are able to transfer over-payments to another Rogers account. However, I would have to review your payment details to make an appropriate recommendation. 

I see you've already escalated your request. Please keep us posted on the outcome and feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questionsRobot Happy

RogersZia

I have only one personal account with Rogers and it only for Rogers internet.

I am trying to get the payment returned or transferred to this account and I don't understand why Rogers have problem transferring it to my account. It's my hard earned money. Trust me I will have difficulty paying my other utility bills because of this hold up by Rogers.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@Maazu 

So challenging, or just plain frustrating - I clearly hear you saying your are frustrated, but not sure about challenged.  Me personally, I find these frustrating, challenging no, I love a good challenge.

Since your issue has been escalated by customer service, either on our request or their decision, you will have to await the results of the escalation to have them get back to you in all probability.  The questions just given to you may be useful when you deal with the escalation.

If you know what department they escalated, and an ID number for the interaction, you can call in to clarify status if it is taking a while.  Escalations are supposed to occur in 48 hours.

I have had success in the past with escalations in unusual situations like this one - unfortunately, I have also found that many CSR's are not given permission or ar not trained in how to deal with the unusual.  I a glad they arrange it to be escalated, as clearly it was out of the scope of the ability of the person you had to work with.

Rogers has a real issue at this moment that CSR's are now often defined within a very limited scope of options and they listen to you to understand the problem, then you find out they can't do anything - what they are saying is that they themselves cannot do anything - I often have to push when they say, nothing can be done and say, are you saying that nothing in your power can be done.  Is there someone else I can deal with, or shall I just escalate.  As when I escalate, I always refer to the people and ID's and what has been said by the first person and myself, and I advise them that I a going to escalate - sometimes I have had success in suddenly that person finds a way to do it, or creates a solution by transferring you.  I have been told that the direction is that they are expected to think out of the box to improve the customer learning experience.

So I wish you luck with the escalation.  When I hit a dead end like you did, this is my usual approach, but I also sometimes come here just to make it public the event, as well as to see if others have a solution. So thank you for bringing your concern forward - we the users on the forum appreciate anytime a customer brings forward issues, we learn together how to move forward.

All the best Bruce

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hi Maazu, can you explain a little more on how this happened?

Was it your mistake? was it the store's mistake? was it the Call Centre's mistake? was it the bank's mistake?

I'm sure this can be rectified, but there would be a lot of checks and authorizations to go thru because this is a payment process and it has financial liability attached to it. so yeah it could take several days to sort this out its not something someone would do regularly because of the amount of resources required for this

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As you have said you only have one account...

How was it paid to the wrong one?  Was a wrong account number entered somewhere and then deposited to there?

I wonder about the 'not being able to transfer it' thing.. is due to the account the payment was made to, is not 'yours' so thats why?

As for how/why cant move it?
I agree that it should be easy.. but I have seen this across... well just about everything.  Bell, Power, gas, etc...
Always seems the way, its not always just an easy move.  They need to issue a full manual REFUND to the person, which can take X weeks to get there, etc. 😞

Maazu
I'm here a lot
Well. I made the payment via phone and probably entered an incorrect phone number and that's how it went to the wrong account. I totally understand it's a mistake, and I am trying to get it posted to my account .that's all. It's a matter of transfer but not understanding why Rogers can't transfer it, it's a matter of posting the payment to the correct account

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
do u remember the number it was posted to? without this it may be very hard to track the payment and they may have to resort to looking up the payment via the visa or master card number and doing a reverse check to see which account number it was tied to, this process usually can not be completed by customer facing agents such as call centre or retail store, and must be done by a back office agent and can often take several days to complete, not to mention they have other work to complete at the same time. so yeah its a tedious process

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Maazu wrote:
Well. I made the payment via phone and probably entered an incorrect phone number and that's how it went to the wrong account. I totally understand it's a mistake, and I am trying to get it posted to my account .that's all. It's a matter of transfer but not understanding why Rogers can't transfer it, it's a matter of posting the payment to the correct account

Do you mean you may have entered somebody else's phone number and your payment went to someone else's account?  Can your bank track where the payment went? Can you put a stop payment on it? Or would that cost more than it's worth?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you mean you may have entered somebody else's phone number and your payment went to someone else's account?  Can your bank track where the payment went? Can you put a stop payment on it? Or would that cost more than it's worth?

Due to Privacy Banks can only see a payment made to Rogers Communications and a reference number, this issue must be sorted with Rogers directly because they were the one who conducted the transaction. 

Here is something interesting, My sister had recently had a cellphone account put under her name finally, but in order to do it the Rogers gave her a new BAN account number. She went to the bank to pay her bill as she always does. banks are suppsot to take precations and check account numbers on the invoices to make sure they match what theyre entering for the payment so the teller failed to do this and paid the old account number which the bank had on file, my sisters phone line mist a payment, so when my sister found out she simply went to the bank showed the statement, the  bank acknowledged the teller paid the wrong account number, the bank fixed the payment and put it back in the correct account not only that but the rogers agent asked to speak to the teller so the teller explained on the phone what happened so they even waived the late payment charges on my sisters account.

Yes. I have the account number to which the payment was wrongly posted. It showed on my credit card transaction and I had provided the same to Rogers CS.

Maazu
I'm here a lot
Finally. The office of president was able to resolve the issue and returned my payment. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I made payment to closed account by mistake. Can you please help

This is primarily a user to user form.

Best would be calling in and talk to the account people.. They should be able to move stuff around accordingly hopefully

Sydney1999
I've been here awhile
What is the number to the office president. I’m having a very similar problem ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The OOTP can be reached through "Share a Concern" link below.  I have found them quite responsive, usually calling me back when I fill in the form on the next business day.  

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Violett
I've been here awhile
I made Roger's payment through bank app in error to closed account. Roger's say they never received the payment and there is nothing they can do. Payment was made Nov. 3 2023. Bank says that Roger's should send money back to my bank. Please help

Good afternoon @Violett!

I'd highly recommend reaching out to our Credit Operations team in this situation.

You can find their contact info if you follow this link: Outstanding account, payments – Contact Us - Rogers

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 in conversation